Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 08:49 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedCamper View Post
I will be living life in a camper nearly (if not completely) off the grid once I finish high school. What place do you think I'll do the best in?

-I want to live somewhere that feels secluded but is near a town that has a gym and a Sam's Club or Costco (NO TRAFFIC!)
-I hate heat and humidity and enjoy snow
-I enjoy lots of sunshine
-I need to be near a nice, big, and clear lake
-I don't wanna be near a town that's attracting Californians or New Yorkers
-I don't wanna be near a national park that attracts people from all over the country
-I'm a libertarian who votes republican
-I value my guns very much
-I'm not a religious guy
A lot of places in Michigan fit that pretty well actually. The one draw back is there's a lot more clouds November -March. But there's not place in Michigan that's not near big/clear lakes and that doesn't include just the great lakes. Outstate Michigan in particular tends to be more libertarian and I don't believe there's many folks from California headed that way.

Traverse City or the areas around it fit the bill, they get a ton of snow though. Any of the small towns within a 45 minute drive of Grand Rapids would also do well I'd imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2021, 09:37 AM

8,492 posts, read 8,777,706 times
South of Springfield MO would be another possible option.

Old 08-03-2021, 10:20 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,104,544 times
OP - You mention living off/nearly off the grid. Do you want a power source, water source, or internet access? My suggestion: Find a small town near what you want and use an RV/mobile home park space for several months while you search for your dream piece of property.

Maybe pick a small town SE of Twin Falls, ID (Costco there). Albion, Malta, Almo ID might work for a base.

Another choice could be a town outside of Casper, WY. Alcova, WY?

The Black Hills of South Dakota would get too may tourist for your liking, but if you want to try there, then a small town within 75 miles of Rapid City (Sams Club). Edgemont, SD is on the edge of the SW Black Hills, so might make a good basecamp. Not many tourists, except those passing through. I think there is a gym in town and a couple lakes near Hot Springs, SD 30 miles away.

Your next hard part is finding property to buy (unless you expect to squat on public land). That's why having a basecamp in a small town to start is probably the best idea. You'll need enough property that your neighbors won't see what you are doing, because getting permits for a well and septic system will be difficult. Chances are you will be hauling water and have an illegal septic system (or an outhouse), unless you can afford a big piece of property (40, 80, 160 acres in some secluded locations to build/develop).

Anyway, good luck and dream big.

Old 08-03-2021, 10:53 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,104,544 times
Had some time to think of a couple other areas to look at.

Outside of Walla Walla, WA which gives you access to the Blue Mountains. Winters won't be as harsh to start off. Maybe Dayton Washington, or Weston or Albion Oregon. Walla Walla itself is pretty liberal, but outside of town is still much more conservative.

No Costco/Sam's, but if Super Walmart is enough, then a small town outside of La Grande, OR. (Cove, Union, Summerville, Elgin, North Powder). Plenty of water in the area and lots of people living semi-remote and in campers semi or fulltime. Had a friend/co-worker who lived in a single-wide MH without power or water hooked up, and he made it through the winter outside of Island City, OR.

Old 08-03-2021, 02:29 PM

156 posts, read 168,564 times
Default Is Appalachia right for me?

I don't think I'll go to the Rockies as they're being invaded by California liberals. Are the Appalachian Mountains a good choice too (specifically West Virginia, Maine, and maybe East Virginia and Kentucky)?

-I want to live somewhere that feels secluded but is near a town that has a gym and a Sam's Club or Costco (NO TRAFFIC!)
-I hate hot and muggy weather and enjoy snow
-I don't wanna be near a national park that attracts people from all over the country
-I'm not a religious guy

Last edited by JMT; 08-03-2021 at 07:08 PM..

Old 08-03-2021, 06:46 PM

1,234 posts, read 941,722 times
You might like St. Clairsville or Cambridge, Ohio.

Old 08-03-2021, 07:29 PM

8,492 posts, read 8,777,706 times
The CA to ID immigration added
1% more Californians to ID in most recent yearly count. That will have an affect over time. But the rate is much less in Montana and Wyoming (0.5% / yr).

If you are considering WV, outside Huntington might work. Not quite east VA but near Oxford NC is close and might work (as it is closer to urban activities).

Another option in KY would be outside Bowling Green (maybe to the east). Or south / east of Lexington.

You might consider all these places too humid.

Maine might be the right culture. Further from coast, more snow. Low on sunshine. Water will probably be pretty cold except perhaps heart of summer.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-03-2021 at 08:01 PM..

Old 08-03-2021, 09:58 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedCamper View Post
I don't think I'll go to the Rockies as they're being invaded by California liberals. Are the Appalachian Mountains a good choice too (specifically West Virginia, Maine, and maybe East Virginia and Kentucky)?

-I hate hot and muggy weather and enjoy snow
-I'm not a religious guy
West Virginia, Western North Carolina, East Tennessee, North Georgia, Shenandoah Valley, and Southwestern Virginia.

Lots of options for you.

Old 08-03-2021, 10:06 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Wyoming. Done. Look at the bigger cities there. Sam's club in Cheyenne and Casper.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:54 AM

156 posts, read 168,564 times
Due to a lot of feedback I've been getting I'm adjusting my needs to be a bit more realistic. For some reason I can't edit the post so I'm just gonna make a reply.

-I want to live somewhere that feels at least a little secluded but is near a town that has a gym and a Sam's Club or Costco (little traffic please)
-I hate muggy weather and enjoy snow
-I need to be near a nice, big lake
-I would prefer to be east of the Mississippi (or west if the state borders it)
-I'm not a religious guy

Last edited by CrazedCamper; 08-04-2021 at 07:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.