Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 06:41 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The Atlanta Region, a place with many Midwesterner Transplants, is in a sweet spot.
Atlanta is at a very low latitude, good thing it has plenty of trees and shade, because the sun angle there is brutal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 06:43 PM

914 posts, read 560,866 times
Assuming this is a question about year-round ranges: Continental climate says Nope. You need oceanic/maritime-ruddered climates for that, not to be found in the middle of the North American continent.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:55 PM

1,002 posts, read 917,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I think 95 is a pretty high bar for lousy weather. When you factor in humidity anything over 80-85 feels pretty lousy in my opinion.
While I agree with you, people seem to be flocking to places where it regularly gets over 95 for much of the year.

The "too cold" bar is also pretty low.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:28 PM

783 posts, read 838,111 times
Regarding 95 degrees. It was in the context of low humidity that it’s tolerable. For me, if it’s cool at night through noon with low humidity than 95 in the afternoon is fine. It’s almost always breezy here which keeps you more comfortable as well.
Wyoming was similar while we camped in various locales. Cool, even freezing, at night warming up to the high 90’s with wind in the afternoon. Wyoming feels more raw and unforgiving with its weather overall, it’s got some real extremes going on.
I felt miserable at 85 degrees with humidity in South Dakota, the warm nights gave me no relief while camping near Mt Rushmore. Of course, I’m used to a very dry climate.

Last edited by ChrisMT; 08-06-2021 at 08:39 PM..

Old 08-06-2021, 11:03 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Atlanta is at a very low latitude, good thing it has plenty of trees and shade, because the sun angle there is brutal.
Did you read the article and look at the maps I was referring to?

For the Eastern U.S., the Atlanta Region sits at a high altitude - nearly 1,100 feet above sea level. This is has moderating effect on the temperatures compared to adjacent regions. This is why the "Lousy Map" had a shade of lighter green for less lousy days over the Atlanta Region.

Old 08-06-2021, 11:06 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Did you read the article and look at the maps I was referring to?

For the Eastern U.S., the Atlanta Region sits at a high altitude - nearly 1,100 feet above sea level. This is has moderating effect on the temperatures compared to adjacent regions. This is why the "Lousy Map" had a shade of lighter green for less lousy days over the Atlanta Region.
Yes, I did see the article and map, I think they're putting additional weight on temperature combined with clouds. Atlanta can be cloudier than other places, however, the milder overall climate winner would go to the mountains in north Georgia and western North Carolina.

Old 08-06-2021, 11:14 PM

365 posts, read 229,917 times
Louisville.

Old 08-07-2021, 12:45 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, I did see the article and map, I think they're putting additional weight on temperature combined with clouds. Atlanta can be cloudier than other places, however, the milder overall climate winner would go to the mountains in north Georgia and western North Carolina.
I’m strictly going by the map and the criteria in the link—I’m not adding any other stuff in! (And you shouldn’t be either.)

Old 08-08-2021, 04:57 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
Assuming this is a question about year-round ranges: Continental climate says Nope. You need oceanic/maritime-ruddered climates for that, not to be found in the middle of the North American continent.
Yep, the humid continental climate is no joke, you get the worst of both extremes, hot and humid summers and cold and frigid winters!

Of course, depending on the year, you might get a mild winter/summer thrown in there now and then, but on average, expect both temperature extremes due to the fact you are nowhere near an ocean.

Old 08-08-2021, 05:58 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Yep, the humid continental climate is no joke, you get the worst of both extremes, hot and humid summers and cold and frigid winters!

Of course, depending on the year, you might get a mild winter/summer thrown in there now and then, but on average, expect both temperature extremes due to the fact you are nowhere near an ocean.
Not necessarily, especially if you live downwind of a Great Lake. You can’t avoid the humidity but certain areas like the Lake Michigan shoreline have pretty mild summers. Traverse City for example only has one month that cracks 80 for an average high. I wouldn’t call that extreme at all. Winters on the other hand are an entirely different matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.