Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More culturally similar to Cleveland
Chicago 20 31.75%
Pittsburgh 43 68.25%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 08:05 AM

168 posts, read 352,884 times

Advertisements

Which of these cities is more culturally similar to Cleveland: Pittsburgh or Chicago? I am going to lean Chicago, but I’d like to hear some informed opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 08:11 AM

1,234 posts, read 941,091 times
Truly a tough one, if I end up deciding one, it won't be by much.

Old 08-09-2021, 10:31 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Well, do Chicagoans think Pittsburghers are a bunch of dumb hicks?

Old 08-15-2021, 06:36 PM

828 posts, read 647,325 times
Lean Pittsburgh, but this is tough.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:34 PM

771 posts, read 624,158 times
Cleveland has a closer relationship with Pittsburgh. They're not far apart so there are plenty of connections between them, and there's also the Browns-Steelers football rivalry and steel legacies.

But if we're being completely honest, then Cleveland probably has more in common with Chicago, but obviously on a smaller scale. All of the Great Lakes cities are fairly similar, whether it's Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, or Buffalo.

(Cleveland's closest peers are Buffalo, Milwaukee, and Detroit, IMO.)

Old 08-16-2021, 12:44 PM

860 posts, read 1,356,762 times
From a built environment perspective:

It seems like the bulk of Chicagoland's heavy industry lies on the periphery of the city, and Northern Indiana. Cleveland and Pittsburgh have these superfund brownfield sites dead in the middle of their cities.

From a demographic perspective:

Cleveland has a lot of Puerto Ricans and black folks, like Chicago. A lot of white folks in Cleveland are Italian, versus Chicago being heavily Polish, and Pittsburgh...not too familiar with their demographics.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:46 AM

168 posts, read 352,884 times
I’ve done more thinking on this comparison since last posting. I am familiar with both cities and I also have felt that this comparison is such a tricky and conflicting one. I am going to err on the side of Chicago still, and I’ll tell you why: the geological features and the skyline/architecture. In my opinion, having been to Pittsburgh and Baltimore in the same day the two cities seem to have more in common with each other than either has with Cleveland or Chicago. I take note of specific examples where neighborhoods in Cleveland and Chicago have similar cut-through alleyways in their suburbs that I have not seen the same type of in Pittsburgh nor in Baltimore. And the Wrigley Building is a dead ringer for Terminal Tower and vice versa. Same builder, as well.

Old 08-17-2021, 09:07 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Cleveland and Pittsburgh share a common experience of the "Rust Bowl" and subsequent de-industrialization; Chicago--not so much.

Also, Cleveland isn't as strong a "hub city" as Chicago, Boston or Philadelpha -- it has very little mass transit, which makes it more similar to Detroit, Columbus, or indianapolis. (Pittsbugh, which is more of a "conglomerate" of individual communities once built around one local heavy industry, has its own unique ("yinzer"(?) ) culture).

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-17-2021 at 09:28 AM..

Old 08-17-2021, 09:12 AM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Chicago.

Cleveland and Chicago are both in Yankeedom. Pittsburgh is The Midlands/Greater Appalachia.

See here: https://i.insider.com/55b284932acae7...36&format=jpeg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...ns?wprov=sfti1

Old 08-17-2021, 10:26 AM

824 posts, read 711,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Cleveland and Pittsburgh share a common experience of the "Rust Bowl" and subsequent de-industrialization; Chicago--not so much.

Also, Cleveland isn't as strong a "hub city" as Chicago, Boston or Philadelpha -- it has very little mass transit, which makes it more similar to Detroit, Columbus, or indianapolis. (Pittsbugh, which is more of a "conglomerate" of individual communities once built around one local heavy industry, has its own unique ("yinzer"(?) ) culture).
Huh, I mean it’s not an amazing system but unlike Detroit, Indianapolis, and Columbus, Cleveland has a subway system. Pittsburgh also has one. That small subway system alone puts Cleveland in a different tier in terms of mass transit compared to other cities in the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.