Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 09:43 AM

831 posts, read 332,665 times

Advertisements

So I graduate next summer with a bachelors in Political Science, currently live in Georgia so am considering staying here but moving back to Northwest Georgia and driving to Atlanta every day for work if I can find it, I am 36 year old,married have 5 kids so not typical college graduate so those things factor into my decision. Wife and I have discussed where we would want to move to and list is fairly small unless I get a job offer that's just too incredible to pass up in a state I don't want to live in. The short list right now is

Georgia
Tennessee, Love eastern Tn and loved the Murfreesboro area as well
Texas, no idea where I just know I hated being in Amarillo the few times I drove through there and went there so prefer somewhere closer to larger city for job chances but not IN a city.
Oklahoma, wife has a dear friend that lives there near OKC and I have been through Oklahoma on 1-40 but that's about it. So not sure WHERE I would want to live

Our criteria is pretty simple. We want a red/conservative state, good school district our oldest is a freshman in HS, youngest hasn't started school yet. Lower taxes and things to do in general, we love to do things outdoors and I want to see all 4 seasons. Any other ideas? I would consider Va IF I got a job in DC because of the few options it's the best even though it doesn't fit my criteria for a red state especially NoVa.

Yes I realize now I put my and not me..sorry I can't fix it lol

Last edited by EducatedRedneck; 08-09-2021 at 10:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 11:19 AM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
You might have your work cut out for you with a degree in poli sci. Any idea what industry you’ll go into? That will weigh pretty heavily on where you’ll call home.

Old 08-09-2021, 09:39 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedRedneck View Post
So I graduate next summer with a bachelors in Political Science, currently live in Georgia so am considering staying here but moving back to Northwest Georgia and driving to Atlanta every day for work if I can find it, I am 36 year old,married have 5 kids so not typical college graduate so those things factor into my decision. Wife and I have discussed where we would want to move to and list is fairly small unless I get a job offer that's just too incredible to pass up in a state I don't want to live in. The short list right now is

Georgia
Texas, no idea where I just know I hated being in Amarillo the few times I drove through there and went there so prefer somewhere closer to larger city for job chances but not IN a city.
Oklahoma, wife has a dear friend that lives there near OKC and I have been through Oklahoma on 1-40 but that's about it. So not sure WHERE I would want to live

Our criteria is pretty simple. We want a red/conservative state, good school district our oldest is a freshman in HS, youngest hasn't started school yet. Lower taxes and things to do in general, we love to do things outdoors and I want to see all 4 seasons. Any other ideas? I would consider Va IF I got a job in DC because of the few options it's the best even though it doesn't fit my criteria for a red state especially NoVa.

Since you say you have 5 kids, consider Tulsa for having the best city park in the nation. Tulsa is more conservative than Oklahoma City. If considering Oklahoma City, which also recently built a big park, Edmond is a nice suburb with a lake in the woods nearby on Route 66. Edmond has good schools.

Tulsa's iconic new Gathering Place Park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxOXmIBZ2qw

Old 08-09-2021, 11:18 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times
Scratch Texas off the list. Unless you are willing to travel often, you won't be seeing four seasons regularly-and if you do, well, you don't want to be here during a real winter. There are stuff to do outside, like anywhere else in the world if you can tolerate the weather, but there is likely less to do in any of the major cities than those in other states. Except maybe Austin, but then you really will not be able to enjoy the four seasons.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:32 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
I'd say TN (Knoxville, Chattanooga, suburban Nashville)

Old 08-15-2021, 09:09 PM

831 posts, read 332,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
You might have your work cut out for you with a degree in poli sci. Any idea what industry you’ll go into? That will weigh pretty heavily on where you’ll call home.
Prefer something to do with Freedom of Speech and protecting it, gun rights and protecting them but I would take anything I am offered once I am done so I can get some experience.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:54 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
I wouldnt knock NOVA out just because its liberal. But I would try to land a job first before you decide. Most of the areas you listed are tough to get jobs in that field.

Old 08-16-2021, 06:25 AM

1,002 posts, read 916,467 times
Agree with others - where you can effectively find work with that degree will be limited. You may have to choose between not using your college degree, and not living where you want to live.

Old 08-16-2021, 06:58 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedRedneck View Post

Georgia

The idea of commuting every day into Atlanta from NW Georgia sounds like your basic soul-destroying nightmare.

My in-laws live in Suwanee, 25 miles outside of Atlanta, and their neighbor leaves at 5:30 every morning and doesn't get home until 7:30 at night, all because of the insane traffic. So I can't even imagine what an ordeal an even longer commute would be for you.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:43 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
OP, I hope you do realize especially given your degree that red states do in fact have *gasp* liberals living there also. So discounting Northern Virginia as "blue" does a similar disservice to options. And for the record progressive communities tend to be much more "live and let live" versus conservative locales, so do consider that as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.