Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 06:55 AM

6 posts, read 7,546 times

Advertisements

I'm fleeing from Atlanta to either Northern Wisconsin or Northern Minnesota. Which one should I go to?

- I want to be in a place that feels rural but is sorta near stuff such as a Sam's Club
- I want cool summers and snowy winters (would prefer as much sunny weather as possible though I doubt that would be possible)
- I want hilly terrain with plenty of large lakes
- I would prefer a good place to go off-grid
- I can't stand traffic
- I don't wanna be somewhere growing like crazy (like Western North Carolina, East Tennessee, or the Rockies)
- I'm a republican-leaning libertarian who is against high taxes and regulations by the government (including mask and vaccine laws)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2021, 08:44 AM

4,506 posts, read 4,628,839 times
Seems to me it's about as broad as it is long. I'd say go visit in the wintertime and see which area feels the best to you.

Old 08-22-2021, 10:50 AM

47 posts, read 29,472 times
Both will provide what you seek but Minnesota will be more remote and have greater access to more and larger lakes. And the BWCAW would provide access to many off-grid areas as there are no roads, motors are forbidden and cell service is sketchy at best.

You’ll have plenty of snow but be forewarned that there will also be, at times, bone-crushing cold. This should figure into your consideration as well.

For starters look at the towns along the Iron Range.

Old 08-22-2021, 11:31 AM

8,506 posts, read 8,818,868 times
Only Sam's Club north of St. Cloud is in Duluth. Northern most Sam's Clubs in Wisconsin in Eau Claire, Wausau and Green Bay.

Duluth and the northeast counties along Lake Superior (near the biggest hills in either state) voted majority Democrat in last Presidential election, unlike almost all of the rest of the north country. You can find Republicans lots of places and small hills maybe some places.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-22-2021 at 12:19 PM..

Old 08-22-2021, 03:14 PM

70 posts, read 65,764 times
Some smaller community within an hour of Appleton Wisconsin seems like a good fit. 1 of the few cities with a conservative lean, and checks all your other boxes.

Old 08-22-2021, 03:52 PM

37,224 posts, read 39,488,121 times
I think you'd probably be better off in the Dakotas which don't have any major urban areas and are remote enough that there won't be as much in travelers and visitors from nearby populous areas.

Old 08-22-2021, 04:53 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,829,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Only Sam's Club north of St. Cloud is in Duluth. Northern most Sam's Clubs in Wisconsin in Eau Claire, Wausau and Green Bay.

Duluth and the northeast counties along Lake Superior (near the biggest hills in either state) voted majority Democrat in last Presidential election, unlike almost all of the rest of the north country. You can find Republicans lots of places and small hills maybe some places.

Doesn't have to be Sam's Club. I think the person is referring to wholesale sellers like Costco or Winco maybe. I don't know what kinda stores like that exist out there I don't live in the Midwest.

Old 08-22-2021, 10:50 PM

Sam's Club was only store I looked for initially but doubt Costco has any further north.

Turns out Costco is in Baxter outside Brainerd MN and in Appleton and Green Bay Wisconsin. But that is about same line between have to the south and not in the far north.

Winco not in region. Other similar stores? Could be but generally not in places below 50k population.
Some smaller chains were / are out there in some places but you drift from the concept and execution as you get smaller. It is a store (better than not having, like in many places) but not that powerful or special. Regular / non-super Walmart will be the biggest store in many places or the bigger places down the road from smaller places.

Many folks in bigger places do not realize how limited shopping can be in smaller rural places. 1 Grocery store, 1 hardware store, maybe a local pharmacy. Maybe an auto parts store. What else? In some places not much else beyond fast food / a handful of casual dining places, dollar store, gas, liquor and a bank or two, at least not name brand. That is much of the rundown for my nearest town, which is pretty far away. What else? A couple auto repair places. 1-2 docs. 1 dentist. One local gym. Appliance store. Laundermat. Tourist gift store. Pawn shop / auto sales. Mini-storage. Propane office. Garden shop. A few contractors / service people. Couple of churches. Not much else. Ok, a coffee truck, for now.

Clothes? Half an aisle in the dollar store, a small selection in the hardware store and a couple of racks in the second hand room of a local charity office. That's it without a longer drive. Office supply... is half an aisle in the dollar store.

Bigger place 45 minutes away, as needed or inclined. Or shipping.

Lots of places have less and less nearby.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-23-2021 at 12:17 AM..

Old 08-23-2021, 12:08 AM

Dakotas have some lakes and some hills. Some areas with trees outside town but not a lot.

Old 08-23-2021, 10:24 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,771,219 times
Either would work. Again, Wisconsin tends to lean a bit more conservative.
For some reason, Duluth and up the north shore of Lake Superior votes more blue as does the city of Superior, Wisconsin on over to the Apostle Islands area.
Somewhere in the vicinity of Green Bay especially north/northwestward would be more conservative.
The Dakota's are nice and certainly worth consideration, but the weather would be less extreme in eastern Wisconsin.
Aside from the weather, Missouri also checks most boxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.