Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 01:44 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times

Advertisements

If OP wanted to have access to bigger-city amenities but still be in a predominantly conservative area, some of Seattle's far suburbs/exurbs could work. Looking around that map of precincts by 2020 vote, some places to look would be Bonney Lake, Buckley, Enumclaw, Graham, Arlington, Tenino, Rochester.

For a less remote area, some of the precincts in Spokane/most of Spokane Valley are on the red side. Though that area (along with all of WA and OR east of the Cascades) does get high temperatures in the summer.

Or, actually, Albany OR might be a good choice. I see multiple red precincts in the central city, it's west of the Cascades so more moderate weather, only an hour from Portland with no traffic (and closer to Salem and Eugene), and it's a pretty sizable town with a lot of businesses:
https://goo.gl/maps/UGz2SqZsrr89Vbuh6
https://goo.gl/maps/hSGUb1sZ6R6QcGxW8
Hickory Station in Albany is an area with a lot of food trucks that I like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2021, 10:33 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,706,962 times
I agree, smaller rural towns and the areas around them will be churchy in WA, sometimes extremely so. It's where the bulk of social life is, so people will be talking about their church activities a lot and OP would not feel out of place. Urban and rural areas in Western Washington have a large cultural divide, so you can't judge one by the other and make a generalization.

Old 08-30-2021, 12:56 PM

25 posts, read 16,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
I agree, smaller rural towns and the areas around them will be churchy in WA, sometimes extremely so. It's where the bulk of social life is, so people will be talking about their church activities a lot and OP would not feel out of place. Urban and rural areas in Western Washington have a large cultural divide, so you can't judge one by the other and make a generalization.

Are you able to name some?

Old 08-31-2021, 11:22 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,706,962 times
You can pick any small town away from the metro areas (that doesn't have a college or large vacation home population) and check it out. Most will have a strong church presence. Lynden, WA is the most extremely religious I can think of.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:34 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,106,410 times
I'd second the Albany, OR recommendation above. It's fairly well centrally located in the Willamette Valley, and close to Salem, Portland, Corvallis, the Oregon Coast and Cascade Mountains. If you want a smaller town nearby then Lebanon or Sweet Home might fit the bill. People you meet on the street or the coffee shop probably won't talk about their church-related activities, but once you are part of a local congregation, then you are likely to meet and be friended by like-minded people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.