Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are they 'West Coast'?
Arizona is West Coast. Nevada is not. 1 0.49%
Nevada is West Coast. Arizona is not. 20 9.76%
Both are West Coast. 46 22.44%
Neither are West Coast. 138 67.32%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 01:04 PM

5,700 posts, read 4,948,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemahkami View Post
Nah. If California was expanded to include what it now Arizona and Nevada, it wouldn't make a functional difference. Man-made lines on a map are not epistemology.
Other examples are Spokane and Pittsburg. They are both part of what many consider coastal states, but geographically these two cities are not coastal in any sense of the word, and I don’t think anyone thinks of them being part of the coasts either? However there are other cities that are not directly on the coast but most people think of them as coastal such as Portland, Sacramento, Philadelphia and DC. So I think as long as a city is within 3 hours drive from the coast it should be considered coastal. And Yuma, AZ is 2hrs and 40mins from San Diego, so I think western AZ can be considered coastal in that sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2021, 02:22 PM

14,366 posts, read 11,763,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Other examples are Spokane and Pittsburg. They are both part of what many consider coastal states, but geographically these two cities are not coastal in any sense of the word, and I don’t think anyone thinks of them being part of the coasts either? However there are other cities that are not directly on the coast but most people think of them as coastal such as Portland, Sacramento, Philadelphia and DC. So I think as long as a city is within 3 hours drive from the coast it should be considered coastal. And Yuma, AZ is 2hrs and 40mins from San Diego, so I think western AZ can be considered coastal in that sense?
Well, maybe. But what would be the point, since western Arizona is very lightly populated. The vast majority of people in Arizona do not, in my opinion, live anywhere near the Pacific Coast.

I don't think of eastern Washington (or eastern Oregon) as coastal either, so I think you are right on that point.

Old 11-29-2021, 02:28 PM

16,119 posts, read 10,797,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
I was watching a video on YouTube where a guy says he's "from the West Coast....Arizona."
Do not pay attention to some guy on YouTube, especially if he thinks Arizona is "west coast". He is geographically challenged or hallucinating. He probably thinks Idaho is west coast, too. It's not.

Old 11-30-2021, 11:10 AM

1,250 posts, read 681,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Is Vermont a part of the East Coast?
Is it on the COAST?

Don't make me look at a map!

Old 11-30-2021, 11:06 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,836,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
Is it on the COAST?

Don't make me look at a map!
People lump in DC and Vermont in their definitions of the “East Coast” as well as Pennsylvania. Just trying to figure out if you’re being hypocritical. Is Pennsylvania on the East Coast?

Old 12-02-2021, 09:23 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,304,452 times
Not really. When I think West Coast. I think of a shared Pacific Rim Geology and a large Asian influence. And Arizona and Nevada(except Las Vegas) has little of that.

Both and most of Non Coastal Southern California are Southwestern through and through. Arizona and Nevada outside Las Vegas also has a bit of Utah/Mormon influence not really found on the West Coast

Old 12-02-2021, 10:23 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,274,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Sure, but the Gulf of California is not part of the US West Coast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Do not pay attention to some guy on YouTube, especially if he thinks Arizona is "west coast". He is geographically challenged or hallucinating. He probably thinks Idaho is west coast, too. It's not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Not really. When I think West Coast. I think of a shared Pacific Rim Geology and a large Asian influence. And Arizona and Nevada(except Las Vegas) has little of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
People lump in DC and Vermont in their definitions of the “East Coast” as well as Pennsylvania. Just trying to figure out if you’re being hypocritical. Is Pennsylvania on the East Coast?
For sure, it all depends on context. The GoC allows Arizona and Nevada to have many manifestations of the Pacific Cooler (Capri Sun). So I can see why many consider both states "West Coast," even though others may not.

Old 03-12-2022, 05:41 PM

155 posts, read 150,583 times
Default Nevada, Arizona = west coast?

Yes: NV and AZ, for overall culture shifts - in the larger cities except Tucson. So Reno, Las Vegas, and Phoenix-Scottsdale have shifted from the interior west to more influences, even home prices, to those of California specifically. They've become more generic, their suburbs like those of LA, San Diego, and so on. Their physical geography and climate still remain interior west, of course.

Tucson is changing some, but it still has its original soul. Almost a different world than metro Phoenix.

To me, east and north of the above cities in rural areas, those states remain interior west or southwest culturally and physically. There's little sign of west coast influences.

Old 03-12-2022, 05:59 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,898,342 times
This is the way I view it… the West “Coast” is really more cultural than geographic. Only a tiny part of any state actually touches the ocean, and is therefore, the “coast,” so we’re really talking about whether Nevada and Arizona share culture with (mainly) California.

In my experience, I would definitely say Yes. For the anal people on this board hung up on the word “coast,” you could drop that word and shuts say “Western,” but from my experience, Arizona, Nevada, and California definitely have a similar cultural feel in the major metro areas (Phoenix, Los Vegas, and the CA metro areas).

Old 03-12-2022, 10:06 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,404,063 times
Nope. Not coastal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.