Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are they 'West Coast'?
Arizona is West Coast. Nevada is not. 1 0.49%
Nevada is West Coast. Arizona is not. 20 9.76%
Both are West Coast. 46 22.44%
Neither are West Coast. 138 67.32%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 07:01 PM

472 posts, read 346,208 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I'm originally from AZ- certainly not west coast and never met anyone growing up who called it west coast. Most Zonies were midwesterners originally anyways- some from Cali, TX, NM, and Canada, but most were from Mich, Ohio, Wisconsin, IL, etc.
Also, AZ is geographically not the west coast.
Vegas has more cultural ties to SoCal purely due to a lot of folks being originally from SoCal, so maybe that has something to do with it. AZ has more in common with NM than NV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 07:23 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
I was watching a video on YouTube where a guy says he's "from the West Coast....Arizona." It seemed odd to me, since I consider Arizona in the Southwest. Then I realized I subconsciously bundle Nevada with the West Coast even though it doesn't have a coastline either.

There's an argument to be made that both states are far more enmeshed with California than with New Mexico/Texas, but obviously neither have a Pacific coastline.
No. They arent near water

Old 11-12-2021, 08:14 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
I have to admit that I do group them with the West Coast. California takes up pretty much all of the true West Coast, with Washington and Oregon making up the remainder, so I have to throw in a couple other states, lol. But something about the weather, PAC-12 affiliation (for Arizona) just mentally makes me group them with the west coast.

Old 11-19-2021, 11:32 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,264,749 times
Both states have been feeling quite a lot of the coastal influx. I don't see an issue considering them "West Coast" the same vein as Vermont being "East Coast."

Besides, Arizona already has a beach.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Pe%C3%B1asco

Old 11-20-2021, 04:13 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I tend to see Las Vegas as an eastern suburb of Los Angeles. Note that more residents came from CA then are native born.
In another generation, barring catastrophe, much of Las Vegas Population should be native.

Old 11-20-2021, 06:21 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
A desert can't be on a coast, lol.

Old 11-20-2021, 07:48 PM

503 posts, read 799,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
There are plenty of deserts on the coast. Just a few hours south of Phoenix is a coastal desert. Look up Puerto Penasco

Old 11-20-2021, 08:47 PM

218 posts, read 155,620 times
Quote:
If you are applying your blanket statement to the entire world, you have no idea just how very wrong you are. One example has already been provided to you. I further suggest you take a look at Chile and Namibia, among other places.

Old 11-21-2021, 12:23 AM

1,320 posts, read 864,746 times
Quote:
Why not? If the ocean water is cold enough, there is very little cyclone activity, and there are mountain ranges blocking moisture, then it is entirely possible to have a desert right on the ocean. The Atacoma Desert in South America right off the Pacific is one of the driest deserts in the world.

Old 11-21-2021, 04:24 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabezablanca View Post
If you are applying your blanket statement to the entire world, you have no idea just how very wrong you are. One example has already been provided to you. I further suggest you take a look at Chile and Namibia, among other places.

Not even that. It's like they haven't looked at a globe. The Sahara is one extremely obvious example, and for the record the Sahara is almost as large as the L48 if not basically equal, and is the entire north shore of Africa.

Has this person never heard of Dubai, with being in the news for a long time having been creating islands off it's own shoreline, and thought wow Dubai surely isn't on the coast... Dubai is an infamous desert city, one of many, and it's on the coast.

Australia also exists and is infamous for being a large desert island, with some very small slivers of non-desert.

Wind patterns and so forth has made almost every Southwest corner of every continent a desert. North America, South America, Africa, Asia, Australia, all have deserts in their Southwest portions. Europe even has pseudo desert areas in Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.