Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are they 'West Coast'?
Arizona is West Coast. Nevada is not. 1 0.49%
Nevada is West Coast. Arizona is not. 20 9.76%
Both are West Coast. 46 22.44%
Neither are West Coast. 138 67.32%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 08:24 PM

783 posts, read 698,070 times

Advertisements

Southwest & Inter-mountain west, but not west coast. You have to have a coast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2021, 05:51 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,841,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
I guess to test the argument we can ask the reverse: is California west coast, southwest, both? I would argue that CA is not southwest in the same way as AZ and NV are not west coast. I would also assert that Nevada is western, but not southwest in the same way as Arizona, culturally speaking.
If you look at the original drawings of the New Mexico and Arizona territories, you will find we used to lay claim to Clark County. Ironically, Las Vegas still lays claim within our region. I have never felt out of place in the Vegas burbs, feels very much like the rest of Arizona.

Old 09-28-2021, 10:07 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,732,065 times
Maricopa County and Clark County are Democrat Those are the population of those states.

Old 09-29-2021, 09:52 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,391,185 times
During my working career I worked for 30 years in two cities. Los Angeles and Rochester NY. Commuted between them several times a month.

In that period I attended multiple conventions and such in Las Vegas. In those commercial groups Las Vegas was considered West Coast. Had little to do with Geography and much to do with tying Las Vegas to Los Angeles. Many of us would tie Las Vegas visits to one to Los Angeles. In my last few years we actually would use a corporate airplane to take us to Las Vegas and bring us home in the evening.

Had no view that Phoenix was west coast...just Las Vegas.

Old 09-29-2021, 11:14 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,088,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
During my working career I worked for 30 years in two cities. Los Angeles and Rochester NY. Commuted between them several times a month.

In that period I attended multiple conventions and such in Las Vegas. In those commercial groups Las Vegas was considered West Coast. Had little to do with Geography and much to do with tying Las Vegas to Los Angeles. Many of us would tie Las Vegas visits to one to Los Angeles. In my last few years we actually would use a corporate airplane to take us to Las Vegas and bring us home in the evening.

Had no view that Phoenix was west coast...just Las Vegas.
This thought occurred to me that exactly what qualifies as "west coast" may depend on how far east the viewpoint. Looking at it from a close-up California perspective, areas inland or east of the Sierras are in no way considered to be "coast."

Old 11-06-2021, 10:25 PM

780 posts, read 1,346,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yep. same as Pennsylvania or Vermont.

The main population centers (Maricopa Countyand Clark County)of both states are sort of extensions of Southern California from my east coast POV. Obviously, Maricopa is more vintage California with the more republican slant...

But yea that's west coast to me. Vegas is closer to the coast that much of PA and NY....

When U say west coast I mean CA OR WA NV AZ
I live in the Portland, OR area, and even up here, we don't consider AZ and NV as west coast states. WA, OR and CA, and that's all of the west coast states.

NV and AZ are considered desert southwest or just western states, but I get what you mean. Even around here, people consider everything north of the Carolinas and everything east of OH, as east coast.

About Vegas though, you have to remember, it is about 275 mi from the ocean. I used to live in Syracuse, NY for a few yrs, but I thought even Philadelphia and NYC were closer to the Atlantic, than that.

Old 11-08-2021, 07:52 PM

1,094 posts, read 813,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
I live in the Portland, OR area, and even up here, we don't consider AZ and NV as west coast states. WA, OR and CA, and that's all of the west coast states.

NV and AZ are considered desert southwest or just western states, but I get what you mean. Even around here, people consider everything north of the Carolinas and everything east of OH, as east coast.

About Vegas though, you have to remember, it is about 275 mi from the ocean. I used to live in Syracuse, NY for a few yrs, but I thought even Philadelphia and NYC were closer to the Atlantic, than that.
Yeah not many people consider places below the Carolinas East Coast even though the Alantic coast streach from Manie to Florida.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:21 PM

780 posts, read 1,346,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Yeah not many people consider places below the Carolinas East Coast even though the Alantic coast streach from Manie to Florida.
Exactly. I think it comes down to where the locals are, that you are referring to the area you're talking about.

Someone in NV who thinks the Carolinas are "east coast", is like someone who lives in FL, that calls NV "west coast". You're likely to get negative feedback from both.

I used to live in Syracuse, NY for a few yrs, and the folks there get *really* upset, if you associate anything around NYC, with them. "We're UPSTATE NY, NOT downstate NY!" lol. Likewise, I had friends who live in WY where I was born and lived for 24 yrs, and they get immediately insulted, if you associate anything with UT, with them ( even though where I grew up, was largely LDS population lol. )

Old 11-09-2021, 08:27 AM

28,119 posts, read 30,041,478 times
IMO, it's impossible to be west coast if there's no coastline in the state.

Old 11-11-2021, 01:16 PM

7,741 posts, read 6,493,287 times
No. That's like asking if Ohio and Kentucky are East Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.