Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 06:41 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times

Advertisements

We were in Boston and it was everywhere. And really cool. I realize that it's a response to a terrible tragedy, but it might prove a pleasant side effect of the pandemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 02:04 PM

307 posts, read 242,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
LA has lots and lots of outdoor sidewalk dining now. Most restaurants have something and the nicer the restaurant the more substantial it is likely to be.

LA's process to get sidewalk dining permits was so complicated that it was very rare pre-pandemic to find a place with actual permits. The city would fine restaurants that did it. Since covid, the city hasn't enforced the permitting process, but neither have they reformed it. It'll be interesting to see what happens when this is over.
Supposedly from what I hear the street dining in LA is here to stay period. With the weather here this should've been the norm years ago

Old 08-31-2021, 07:33 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Last year, I saw these in a lot of various Chicago streets. Yes for many areas there was at least one block where a street was closed, so local restaurants could set up outdoor tables for diners. Infrequently it was more than one block, but in most cases it was only for one block.

So far in 2021, it seems like fewer blocks in the Chicago area are doing these street closures, for outdoor dining. In some areas they only were closing off one half of a street, and reducing the width of a street down to one lane for through traffic. If I have to guess, this idea will probably be permanent.

Also in a bunch of suburbs, I saw this done as well. Evanston, IL also did this on certain blocks, too. Along with even allowing one local brewery (Sketchbook) to set up a beer garden area in a nearby Evanston park, during the peak of COVID indoor dining bans in 2020.

Old 11-06-2021, 07:03 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Outdoor plywood dining sheds in NYC—a suit has been filed asking for an impact study before making the program permanent.

Some restaurants have closed but left their sheds behind, serving as an invitation and unintended shelters for the homeless.

Couple of recent articles:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/05/n...ining-nyc.html

https://patch.com/new-york/midtown-n...outdoor-dining

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pix11.c...tructures/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7ny....city/11085664/

Curious if similar situation or not in other cities with outdoor plywood dining sheds.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-06-2021 at 07:19 AM..

Old 11-06-2021, 11:49 AM

36 posts, read 28,200 times
Santa Barbara and Los Angeles and San Fran

Old 11-06-2021, 02:52 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Outdoor patios or covered porches are common in Knoxville Tennessee restaurants all the time. However I have not seen any temporary structures to make extra outdoor dining areas for the purpose of covid. It’s worth noting that they have always been unnecessary here as indoor dining was only restricted a grand total of 3 weeks here way back in April of 2020. Tennessee is still American so we have been able to dine out all along.
I'm pretty sure the other 49 States are still American as well.

Old 11-11-2021, 03:38 PM

663 posts, read 306,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Last year, I saw these in a lot of various Chicago streets. Yes for many areas there was at least one block where a street was closed, so local restaurants could set up outdoor tables for diners. Infrequently it was more than one block, but in most cases it was only for one block.

So far in 2021, it seems like fewer blocks in the Chicago area are doing these street closures, for outdoor dining. In some areas they only were closing off one half of a street, and reducing the width of a street down to one lane for through traffic. If I have to guess, this idea will probably be permanent.

Also in a bunch of suburbs, I saw this done as well. Evanston, IL also did this on certain blocks, too. Along with even allowing one local brewery (Sketchbook) to set up a beer garden area in a nearby Evanston park, during the peak of COVID indoor dining bans in 2020.
This video. Still shows Chicago not closing a whole street, but allowing parking spots for extending sidewalk seating and tables still onto streets.... If only partially. Just to add to your point as city still allowing it.

Chicago West Loop by downtown 3 weeks ago
recorded on - Oct 9, 2021.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGJ9mNB9Zoo

Last edited by Chi-town; 11-11-2021 at 03:47 PM..

Old 11-12-2021, 08:10 AM

963 posts, read 723,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
We were in Boston and it was everywhere. And really cool. I realize that it's a response to a terrible tragedy, but it might prove a pleasant side effect of the pandemic.
Yes, we have them in Hoboken all up and down the main commercial streets and they are fantastic. Everyone here is hoping it becomes permanent since as a dense city we really lacked for enough outdoor seating. Based on some of the setups it was clear some real $$ was put into them so hoping they are here to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.