Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 08:35 PM

11 posts, read 18,584 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving to Kansas but I've heard the summers are hot and humid there and I'm trying to avoid that. Are the Great Plains really that humid compared to Virginia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2021, 10:53 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
It all depends where in Kansas you want to go. Generally the further east and south you go, the more humid it is. If you want dry, live west of I-135 (think Hays, Garden City, Colby, Goodland, or Russell).

Honestly, if I were looking to live on the Great Plains, I'd look at Northwestern Nebraska - Chadron, Scottsbluff, Alliance, Ogallala, or North Platte. Chadron is only 90 mins from Rapid City, and the Pine Ridge area is gorgeous.

Old 08-29-2021, 05:19 AM

1,002 posts, read 916,467 times
Dew point is generally a better metric than humidity, as it doesn't vary as the temperature changes, and gives an apples to apples comparison of how much water is in the air.

Dew point comfort varies from person to person. I personally feel things start to feel noticeably (but comfortably) humid around 50F, a bit soupy around 60F, and pretty uncomfortable by 70F. Dew point often has a relationship with how cool it gets at night, because if the air cools off more, it sheds more of its water at night.

Here's a "current dew points" map:

Dew Points Map for the United States

Here's a pair of maps showing minimum temperatures in July, along with average July dew points:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...ig10_283049416

Old 08-29-2021, 06:03 AM

11 posts, read 18,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
It all depends where in Kansas you want to go. Generally the further east and south you go, the more humid it is. If you want dry, live west of I-135 (think Hays, Garden City, Colby, Goodland, or Russell).
Are the towns near I-135 (of course still west) such as Hutchinson and Goddard humid?

Old 08-29-2021, 06:27 AM

1,002 posts, read 916,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilUnrestBGone View Post
Are the towns near I-135 (of course still west) such as Hutchinson and Goddard humid?
As of this exact moment, the dew points there are a few degrees below what you'd find in, for instance, coastal South Carolina, and higher than you'd find living in a place like Philly or NYC.

Old 08-29-2021, 11:18 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
Please, please, please, read about and understand DEW POINT. It is the only meaningful measure of moisture in the air. Relative Humidity zigzags all over, depending in the temperature. Dew point is the true measure of how much moisture is in the air, and stays fairly constant through the day. It usually remains fairly close to the overnight low.

Unhelpfully, the TV weatherman never mentions the dewpoint.

The warmer the air, the more vapor it can hold. When dewpoint equals temperature, that's it -- thee air is saturated. Up to 70, a dewpoint is fairly comfortable. Over 75, it's pretty uncomfortable. Regardless of temperature. The highest dewpoint ever recorded in the US was in Wisconsin, almost matching the world record near the Arabian Gulf..

Old 08-30-2021, 05:44 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Please, please, please, read about and understand DEW POINT. It is the only meaningful measure of moisture in the air. Relative Humidity zigzags all over, depending in the temperature. Dew point is the true measure of how much moisture is in the air, and stays fairly constant through the day. It usually remains fairly close to the overnight low.

Unhelpfully, the TV weatherman never mentions the dewpoint.

The warmer the air, the more vapor it can hold. When dewpoint equals temperature, that's it -- thee air is saturated. Up to 70, a dewpoint is fairly comfortable. Over 75, it's pretty uncomfortable. Regardless of temperature. The highest dewpoint ever recorded in the US was in Wisconsin, almost matching the world record near the Arabian Gulf..
Individual comfort regarding dewpoint values is certainly subjective. Anything above 60F is overly humid. If it is humid outside, I prefer cooler and humid any day of the week. In winter I prefer less humidity, but not overly dry.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 08-30-2021 at 09:18 AM..

Old 08-30-2021, 08:10 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
North of Wichita and West of I-35 you really wouldnt have that high of humidity. The highest average humidity level in summer is 21%. Thats pretty low.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:19 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
North of Wichita and West of I-35 you really wouldnt have that high of humidity. The highest average humidity level in summer is 21%. Thats pretty low.
Yeah, heat and wind are brutal out in those areas, though.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:52 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Dew point is statistically more significant than relative humidity with regard to how moist or dry the air feels. High dew points and lowish RH will still feel sticky. The current RH at my house is 38%, but it's not at all humid because the dew point is 47 degrees. Right now in Wichita the dew point is a muggy 73 degrees. Air temp 87, heat index 95. Gross.

If OP wants dry, he's not going to find it in Wichita. Do a search for average July dewpoint and you'll see that Wichita and points east have similar dew points to the interior southeast.

I'll reiterate what I said earlier. Dry in Kansas means areas along and west of US-183, and if you're gonna subject yourself to that, go to Chadron or Scottsbluff, NE, instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.