Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which blue state is better to live, work, and play overall?
Colorado 18 33.96%
Washington 33 62.26%
Other - Share your suggestion(s). 2 3.77%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 04:36 AM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
the city is more centrally-located in the CONUS than Seattle is.
This seems like an odd reason to prefer a city, unless you fly a lot --- but only to other American cities; if you flew to Europe or East Asia regularly you'd want to be on the east or west coast. Denver also has no significant cities that you can drive to, not that Seattle is great in this regard.

To me, the main selling points for Denver over Seattle would be: more easygoing / less type-A personalities (not a big tech city); way better weather; rugged and masculine guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2021, 11:59 AM

525 posts, read 718,499 times
Thank you so much for all of your perspectives on Colorado and Washington State. WA State is winning heavily in the poll as well.

Based on what I've read so far, WA State has the edge based on no state income tax, better food & culture, walkability including more scenic landscapes for hiking and swimming, and close proximity to other cities, Pacific Ocean, and Canada.

Despite rising housing costs and feeling more isolated, CO seems to have lower property taxes and sale taxes with higher risk of wildfires and drought.

For personality wise, I think Denver might be a better fit for me - I am easygoing and laid-back who is not in the big tech field. Even as a gay man, I am very masculine. I have lived in both the South and the Midwest so I am used to friendly people getting into social circles and being invited to things. This is why I am concerned about the expression "Seattle Ice".

I plan to visit both soon where it should help me to decide more easily.

Old 09-03-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
From Colorado. Lived in DFW for a number of years. Company's HQ is in Seattle.

Seattle's nice to visit, but you couldn't pay me enough to live there (although I'd move there before I moved back to the bland Metromess).

It's too damp and too dreary for too long for me personally. The people are not at all friendly, either. Everything costs too much. The surface transportation infrastructure is total garbage (which explains the high transit ridership). Then there's the elephant in the room - the politics of the PNW. That area of the country is a s*&tshow of left and right wing extremism. Plenty of right-wing nutjobs (think neo-Nazis, white nationalists, anti-government types, and Christian fundies) to go along with the BLM/Antifa crap you always hear about.

Denver isn't perfect, but it's a skosh cheaper than Seattle, the weather is a lot sunnier and warmer in the summer (but colder in the winter), the people are generally friendlier, the politics of the state are less extreme, it's a LOT easier to own a car here, and the city is more centrally-located in the CONUS than Seattle is.

Yes, Denver still has air quality issues, and they're being amplified by fires out west (including the PNW).
Thank you for sharing. I find it hilarious that you think DFW is bland and would never live in DFW again. I actually like DFW and the friendliness of Texans; it is just that TX politics is embarrassing plus the fact that TX has the second highest property tax in the country. TX is not not scenic outside the Hill Country.

Old 09-03-2021, 12:12 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
Thank you for sharing. I find it hilarious that you think DFW is bland and would never live in DFW again. I actually like DFW and the friendliness of Texans; it is just that TX politics is embarrassing plus the fact that TX has the second highest property tax in the country. TX is not not scenic outside the Hill Country.
This is why I find DFW to be incredibly bland. The natural setting is completely unremarkable, and other than its size there's really nothing unique about the place. It's literally Anywhere, USA. I was never really all that impressed with the Hill Country, either. Texans tend to overrate that area. It's a more barren version of the Ozarks and the Driftless Area of the Upper Midwest.

Old 09-03-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
This is why I find DFW to be incredibly bland. The natural setting is completely unremarkable, and other than its size there's really nothing unique about the place. It's literally Anywhere, USA. I was never really all that impressed with the Hill Country, either. Texans tend to overrate that area. It's a more barren version of the Ozarks and the Driftless Area of the Upper Midwest.
I understand now. When you first said about DFW being bland, I thought you mean lacking in culture. I like the diversity in DFW compared to Missouri where I am from. Mexican food is very authentic compared to those in MO.

Old 09-03-2021, 03:25 PM

4,601 posts, read 2,992,254 times
CO offers the mountains. WA offers the mountains plus the ocean.

Old 09-03-2021, 05:23 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,167,272 times
Culture wise I think you'll be fine in both. Denver has a strong geek culture so if your user name is descriptive then you should be happy. Seattle is known for having lots of readers too.
In terms of education spending however Colorado as a whole is not really an improvement over Texas. The state has a history of not spending a lot on that front.
If you do pick Colorado I'd strongly advise you to live in Denver and not one of the suburbs. I'm sick of having to drive to Denver for simple cultural activities like book clubs.

Old 09-04-2021, 11:05 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
It just depends on if you like drier/colder or wetter/grayer climate in the winters. Seattle is super dry and sunny in the summers, but wetter in the winters. I would also think Seattle is a more friendly place for gay people.

I like Colorado too, but job opportunity was way better for me in Seattle. The ferry culture here in Seattle is unique though and something I didn't expect I would utilize as much as I actually do. Different ambiance than most of the country.

Old 09-08-2021, 08:49 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
Thank you so much for all of your perspectives on Colorado and Washington State. WA State is winning heavily in the poll as well.

Based on what I've read so far, WA State has the edge based on no state income tax, better food & culture, walkability including more scenic landscapes for hiking and swimming, and close proximity to other cities, Pacific Ocean, and Canada.

Despite rising housing costs and feeling more isolated, CO seems to have lower property taxes and sale taxes with higher risk of wildfires and drought.

For personality wise, I think Denver might be a better fit for me - I am easygoing and laid-back who is not in the big tech field. Even as a gay man, I am very masculine. I have lived in both the South and the Midwest so I am used to friendly people getting into social circles and being invited to things. This is why I am concerned about the expression "Seattle Ice".

I plan to visit both soon where it should help me to decide more easily.
Boulder is the "Seattle" part of Denver IMO for lack of a better way of putting it.

Old 09-14-2021, 09:06 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,295,433 times
you would like Capitol hill , Denver , Co
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.