Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 03:38 PM

145 posts, read 164,066 times

Advertisements

Since Autumn is right around the corner, I figured I create this thread about places for fall color (foliage and wildflowers) in Florida and the Southeast. I’ve heard that Torreya and Suwannee River State Parks were great spots for fall foliage in Florida along with Providence Canyon, F.D. Roosevelt State Park, and George L. Smith State Park in Georgia. However, most of the fall color is concentrated in the mountains of North Carolina and North Georgia.

Based on the Smoky Mountains website, it appears that the leaves will start changing around mid-October in Florida and mid-September for the mountains.

What are some other great hotspots for fall color within the Southeast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2021, 07:03 PM

156 posts, read 169,505 times
If you want fall colors then you can forget the deep south. Nothing but pine trees down there.

Old 09-01-2021, 07:34 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,716,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedCamper View Post
If you want fall colors then you can forget the deep south. Nothing but pine trees down there.
Not sure about other places but Atlanta/North Georgia are gorgeous in the fall with all the colors

Old 09-02-2021, 06:22 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,711,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Not sure about other places but Atlanta/North Georgia are gorgeous in the fall with all the colors
I second this. I'm in the northern suburbs and I appreciate the fall right where we are.

Old 09-03-2021, 12:44 PM

145 posts, read 164,066 times
I remember Florida Caverns State Park having fall color along with Three Rivers State Park, which are both located in the Florida Panhandle. Unfortunately, the parks lost almost all of their trees due to Hurricane Michael.

Tallahassee, Lake City, and Gainesville would be the better spots in Florida for fall color. Lake Talquin and Wakulla Springs near Tallahassee would be excellent spots.

Old 09-03-2021, 07:54 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,498,417 times
I know nothing about Florida so I cannot answer this, but just to let you know, it is too early for fall foliage there. Fall foliage in NJ would happen in the second half of October I believe, so places south of NJ would get foliage afterwards.

Old 09-03-2021, 09:19 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,771,699 times
Anywhere in the Appalachian Mountains.

Old 09-04-2021, 06:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,031,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
We have tons of deciduous trees here near Tyler, TX (NE Texas) but we have to wait till about Thanksgiving for them to really put on their show! OK, maybe a few weeks before Thanksgiving but it's common to still be raking leaves in November and even into December here.

Old 09-04-2021, 05:31 PM

1,168 posts, read 780,012 times
It may not be impressive or noteworthy to most people,, but the entire South outside of peninsular Florida does have fall color. It's typically not the vibrant red and yellow you get up north, but it's significant enough that I look forward to the change. But it's true that in most places, the tree species that put on the best show aren't as common as the evergreens like pine and oak.

Miami is the only place I've lived that didn't have any noticeable fall color. Nothing but green all year long.

Old 10-28-2021, 11:47 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,970,036 times
Fall is nearly the same in the Piedmont as it is in the mountains in NC, VA, SC, GA. Colors have the same depth and variety as the Northeast although they are more variable in quality year to year depending on the kind of summer we had. Some years are fiery and vibrant while other years have more browns mixed in and more early shedding. The appalachians are more consistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.