Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 09:19 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Honestly it's not uncommon anymore to see Confederate battle flags in most of the North outside of New England.
I’ve had friends see them in Gettysburg. Gettysburg of all places…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2021, 09:23 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,008,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Definitely parts of Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Indiana for starters.
Agreed. I feel like Ohio and Indiana especially are generally pretty "friendly" states. Of course there are exceptions within any state but having grown up in Ohio and now living near Indy I'd say most people are genuine and friendly.

Old 09-05-2021, 11:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Agreed. I feel like Ohio and Indiana especially are generally pretty "friendly" states. Of course there are exceptions within any state but having grown up in Ohio and now living near Indy I'd say most people are genuine and friendly.
I don't personally care much for Indiana, but I think Ohio is one of the most underrated and underappreciated states in the US! I love me some Ohio!

Old 09-05-2021, 01:18 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Western Pa, Ohio, Indiana, Iowa come to mind

Rural areas further north might work too as some have suggested

Old 09-05-2021, 02:57 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
I would say there are a good number of Northern states where Southerners would not feel out of place. I would say the weather would be the biggest adjustment, but Southerners would not feel out of place socially.

I would say, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Ohio, and Southern Illinois would likely be the best fits.

New York State and the Great Lakes Region (Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois), and even much of New England, they would not feel out of place; the only thing being that these regions are much more Catholic (and/or not necessarily practicing). You won't find a strong Southern Baptist/Evangelical presence in these regions. So if that is a big part of the Southerner's religious life, they may feel a little out of place.

Old 09-05-2021, 03:25 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,008,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't personally care much for Indiana, but I think Ohio is one of the most underrated and underappreciated states in the US! I love me some Ohio!
No Indiana love? You gonna hurt all those corn farmers feelings!

Ps. I'm a buckeye at heart so I will agree with you on Ohio

Old 09-07-2021, 10:36 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Rural Pennsylvania in the Northeast, the Maryland Eastern Shore and Western Maryland.

Many people I know from Louisiana also like places in the Intermountain West especially Colorado and Montana.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:00 AM

1,094 posts, read 809,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I would say there are a good number of Northern states where Southerners would not feel out of place. I would say the weather would be the biggest adjustment, but Southerners would not feel out of place socially.

I would say, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Ohio, and Southern Illinois would likely be the best fits.

New York State and the Great Lakes Region (Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois), and even much of New England, they would not feel out of place; the only thing being that these regions are much more Catholic (and/or not necessarily practicing). You won't find a strong Southern Baptist/Evangelical presence in these regions. So if that is a big part of the Southerner's religious life, they may feel a little out of place.
Anywhere within 100 miles of the Ohio River would makes sense. I have a friend in Cinnicanti who goes to a southern baptist church. The furthest north I can see southerner living without feeling too out of place is Columbus OH.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:18 AM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post

With the bolded, it may come down to demographics/location of the church.

Also, to add to what Dingo Gibby mentioned, there are areas of Upstate NY where there is a bluegrass scene and where the country music radio station is the most listened to radio station. Where background could come into play could be if you are a black Southerner, you can find some rural, small towns with a decent to pretty high black population up here as well and where the urban radio station is the most listened to radio station in a market. So, some of this may come down to who you are referring to and what you are looking for.

Old 09-08-2021, 03:09 PM

811 posts, read 889,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Anywhere within 100 miles of the Ohio River would makes sense. I have a friend in Cinnicanti who goes to a southern baptist church. The furthest north I can see southerner living without feeling too out of place is Columbus OH.
Columbus and I-70 is a good boundary of where a southerner would either feel comfortable or start to feel uncomfortable.

The farther South one is from I-70 the stronger the Southern vibes become, certainly as you get close to the Ohio River.

North of I-70, at least in Ohio, starts to become more solid Midwest, however, a Southerner would still feel comfortable as the region is still very agricultural and rural, religion is important and they still have Waffle House, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.