Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 03:37 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,306,275 times

Advertisements

Cincy, Indy, Columbus…I’d even include Louisville, but it’s technically southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 05:21 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
A lot of you have very stereotypical views about what would make Southerners feel out of place. Like they're a homogenous group of confederate flag waving, country music listening, large truck driving Larry the Cable Guy lookalikes. Eye roll.

Most of the differences will be subtle and cultural, not activity oriented. Southerners could fit in anywhere in the North if these areas aren't extremely elitist or insulated, and Southerns have a somewhat open mind about cultural differences.

Old 09-10-2021, 07:26 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
I don’t get it. Outside of major cities in the north the states don’t look much different than southern states. Just more harsh winters. That’s it.

Old 09-11-2021, 01:43 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I don’t get it. Outside of major cities in the north the states don’t look much different than southern states. Just more harsh winters. That’s it.
Cultural differences, and to be fair those are greater between rural and urban, not north and south.

Old 09-12-2021, 12:05 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,930 times
Oregon. Outside of Portland and college towns like Eugene is quite Duck Dynasty like and rural with a hickish accent. Anyone from Appalachia wouldn't feel a culture shock as alot of rural Oregon was settled by them.

Old 09-16-2021, 12:53 AM

3,454 posts, read 3,378,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
My first thought was Michigan, particularly the smaller towns and more rural areas. During my brief time of living there (a small town in South Central Michigan close to 20 years ago), I was surprised at the number of southern transplants; particularly one family of three generations who had all relocated there from Tennessee.

Anecdotally, I visited southern Michigan again this summer and was shocked at all the Confederate flags I saw while driving along US 12. I don’t know if they were transplanted southerners or just native Michiganders trying to send a message, but there were more stars and bars there than I see here in Alabama.
I remember in southwest Michigan a year or 2 ago (think it was pre-COVID, maybe 2019?), that in Berrien County(Michigan) of all places that I saw a random Confederate flag while driving on a rural road there. Mind you seeing that was a complete surprise, considering southwest Michigan is majorly influenced by Chicago people who vacation there. No idea if that was an ex-Southerner who put up that flag, or if someone was from Chicagoland and was Southern-sympathetic. I suspect it might be the latter, but I don't know.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:00 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I remember in southwest Michigan a year or 2 ago (think it was pre-COVID, maybe 2019?), that in Berrien County(Michigan) of all places that I saw a random Confederate flag while driving on a rural road there. Mind you seeing that was a complete surprise, considering southwest Michigan is majorly influenced by Chicago people who vacation there. No idea if that was an ex-Southerner who put up that flag, or if someone was from Chicagoland and was Southern-sympathetic. I suspect it might be the latter, but I don't know.
Seen some in Maryland, Connecticut and right outside of DC. My friend lives in Michigan. He said the rural parts aren't far from the south.

Old 09-16-2021, 02:44 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
I'm an Alabamian who travels a great deal in the northern states. Call me weird, but I never feel out of place in those areas. In fact, I do well. My wife says the further I get from home, the thicker my Southern accent gets. She claims that by the time I get to Massachusetts or Washington State, I should be wearing seersucker and saying, "I do declare" a lot.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:20 AM

6,741 posts, read 6,733,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Not New England. It's the only place in the country where rural areas vote consistently Democrat. Very, very different than rural California which is very Republican.

Old 09-19-2021, 10:51 AM

811 posts, read 889,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Not New England. It's the only place in the country where rural areas vote consistently Democrat. Very, very different than rural California which is very Republican.
Exactly. Also, way of life, although rural, is very different from North to South. Very few town squares in the South for a reason. New England and parts of the Great Lakes States were more community oriented and concerned about the greater good of the community over the individual (still seen today in Covid vaccination rates of NE to South). Just one example of how rural northern living is different from rural Southern living. I can’t stand when people just think that due to some place being in the country it is automatically homogenous across the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.