Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 11:20 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
The vast majority might get snow sometimes, but not Midwest-style.
Meh. Midwest is too big to really say that. Spent four years in KC. They average something like 15in of snow a year. On par with some of the trumped up “sunbelt” cities at least in the northern periphery of it. Easy peasy winters IMO. Summers on the other hand are ungodly.

Snow isn’t a bad thing to me though. Shoveling can suck, depends how you look at it. I see it as a workout.

Old 09-05-2021, 11:41 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Because the difference between DC’s density and Boston’s density is the same as Atlanta and Detroit.

If Boston isn’t way denser than DC, Detroit isn’t way denser than Atlanta. Because that’s how numbers work.

Cincinnati and Dallas have neae identical density numbers. Same with Las Vegas and St Louis.

My point isn’t that DC doesn’t have a lot of federal buildings it obviously does, it’s that it isn’t this massive blob, is distributed through the city like any other central buisness district.
If there is another city where 30% of its land is federal land, I’ll retract. But as far as I can tell, there isn’t. And the Mall, WH, Smithsonian, Potomac Parks, and the Southwest Federal Center all constitute a fairly large blob of just nothing population wise. You might have 1000 people living in 3 square miles in the middle of the city.

At any rate, the point we are making is similar. The floor for Rust Belt density is the ceiling for Sun Belt density as of now.

Old 09-06-2021, 03:42 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,314,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
If there is another city where 30% of its land is federal land, I’ll retract. But as far as I can tell, there isn’t. And the Mall, WH, Smithsonian, Potomac Parks, and the Southwest Federal Center all constitute a fairly large blob of just nothing population wise. You might have 1000 people living in 3 square miles in the middle of the city.

At any rate, the point we are making is similar. The floor for Rust Belt density is the ceiling for Sun Belt density as of now.
It’s not so much about federal land or not, it’s just one could disseminate pretty much any city to boost its density figures.

Sure Boston doesn’t have an equivalent to the National Mall (which is only .48 sq. miles mind you) but DC doesn’t have an international airport that “eats” into its administrative land area or a massive port complex.

So population density should be taken with a grain of salt.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
The vast majority might get snow sometimes, but not Midwest-style.
Right. Heck, I live in Texas and we get snow a few times a year.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:23 AM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
In a city full of transplants, many mention weather as a benefit. But I’ve known only one person who prioritized it. She was from upstate NY and hated winter, so as a child began a campaign on her father to get him to move. She even began writing chamber of commerce’s to places down south to send pamphlets. He finally decided he had enough, so they take a weekend trip, drove 12 hours due south, liked the place, and ended up selling everything and moving down here. Fascinatingly hilarious.
Ha, that's great, and I can totally appreciate her fervor (note my location). Any idea what part of Upstate NY she was from?

Old 09-06-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Ha, that's great, and I can totally appreciate her fervor (note my location). Any idea what part of Upstate NY she was from?
Binghamton

Old 09-06-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
It’s not so much about federal land or not, it’s just one could disseminate pretty much any city to boost its density figures.

Sure Boston doesn’t have an equivalent to the National Mall (which is only .48 sq. miles mind you) but DC doesn’t have an international airport that “eats” into its administrative land area or a massive port complex.

So population density should be taken with a grain of salt.
I really am unsure why this has become a thing. I mentioned as an aside that a large portion of DC is off limits to live, but that Boston/DC are not particularly germane to the situation. Then I’m inundated with ignoring NYC’s financial district (which has close to 200,000 people in half a square mile) and now Logan (which is closer to a real point, though again is not a third of Boston’s size).

But yes, if you wanted to say Boston : DC :: Detroit : Atlanta or whatever, go ahead. Rust Belt cities are still denser than Sun Belt cities by and large. Sun Belt cities have more room to densify.

Old 09-06-2021, 08:22 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Who cares. 90% of the sunbelt is not worth it to me. I’m just not a hot weather sort of person. Most of the sheeple that move down there are and that’s fine.

It would take some major economic pain down there for people to be motivated to move to the Rust Belt. I certainly hope that doesn’t happen in my lifetime as I’m eyeing some places in the Rust Belt for retirement and don’t want the sheeple crowding me out.
Why sheeple? You like the cold, they like the heat. Maybe they moved becuse where they are has changed too much to the downside?

Old 09-06-2021, 08:29 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
I was going to post something else in regards to your sheeple comment but then I noticed you were in Seattle. I'll just chalk it up to you being a really cool woke individual.
LOL, for someone in Seattle to talk bout people moving to the Sunbelt is hypocrisy. That town's metro has more than doubled in 30 years nd the winters there aren't like those in the Midwest. Seattle is basically sunbelt town. its biggest hometown employers, like Costco, Boeing, and amazon have grown more down south than anywhere.

Old 09-06-2021, 11:26 AM

14,012 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
I really am unsure why this has become a thing. I mentioned as an aside that a large portion of DC is off limits to live, but that Boston/DC are not particularly germane to the situation. Then I’m inundated with ignoring NYC’s financial district (which has close to 200,000 people in half a square mile) and now Logan (which is closer to a real point, though again is not a third of Boston’s size).

But yes, if you wanted to say Boston : DC :: Detroit : Atlanta or whatever, go ahead. Rust Belt cities are still denser than Sun Belt cities by and large. Sun Belt cities have more room to densify.
Sure denser than Charlotte big I wouldn’t call Detroit or Cincinnati dense cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.