Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 09:27 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Is there a major US city where the CBD actually touches the coast? They’re always on a bay, harbor, river, etc. I can’t think of anywhere that’s on the actual coast.
Miami comes the closest. Bays and harbors are just superior from an urban development standpoint. It’s interesting though that the two big Great Lakes cities, Chicago and Toronto, are right on their respective lakes, even though they too have their own small harbor areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 09:32 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Quote:
Is there a major US city where the CBD actually touches the coast? They’re always on a bay, harbor, river, etc. I can’t think of anywhere that’s on the actual coast.
None..

As the crow flies, the closest downtown to actual ocean is SD at a hair over 2 miles from Coronado Beach.

Miami’s would be second at a shade under 4 miles to Miami Beach.

DT SF/Boston are both about ~5 miles before you hit open water (there are still a few islands about 3 miles west of Winthrop, Boston in the harbor mind you).

The tip of Manhattan is almost 12 miles from Breezy Point in Brooklyn.

DT LA is ~14 miles from the Pacific in Santa Monica.

If you consider the Great Lakes as a “coast” only Chicago & Milwaukee DT actually sit on the shore front.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Miami comes the closest. Bays and harbors are just superior from an urban development standpoint. It’s interesting though that the two big Great Lakes cities, Chicago and Toronto, are right on their respective lakes, even though they too have their own small harbor areas.
DT San Deigo is closer to the Pacific than DT Miami is to the Atlantic by over a mile.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:39 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Yes Lake Bourge or Ponchartain are certainly more sheltered than Boston Harbor. Boston Harbor literally opens straight into the Atlantic with zero landmass in between. DT Miami is less than 4 miles from the Atlantic.

For context, DT New Orleans is about as geographically far away from the Gulf of Mexico as DT Houston is (45-50 miles)
There is ~1.3 miles of water that opens Boston to Massachusetts Bay. (Quincy to Winthrop). Hull to Nahant is only 4 miles

Lake Bourge has a 7.5 mile opening to the Gulf of Mexico

Old 09-07-2021, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
There is ~1.3 miles of water that opens Boston to Massachusetts Bay. (Quincy to Winthrop). Hull to Nahant is only 4 miles

Lake Bourge has a 7.5 mile opening to the Gulf of Mexico
Yeah Lake Bourge is also +40 miles long to which DT NoLA sits another 13 miles west of.

Boston is no more “separated” from open ocean than Oakland, CA is.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:51 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Yeah Lake Bourge is also +40 miles long to which DT NoLA sits another 13 miles west of.

Boston is no more “separated” from open ocean than Oakland, CA is.

Mount Hope Bay is only -15 miles from open ocean but is far more sheltered than Lake Bourge bevause there is only 2700 feet of passage to Narragansett Bay and then the ocean.

Also Oakland is more sheltered than New Orleans East/Lower 9th absolutly

Old 09-07-2021, 10:07 PM

2,337 posts, read 2,286,565 times
Quote:
None..

As the crow flies, the closest downtown to actual ocean is SD at a hair over 2 miles from Coronado Beach.

Miami’s would be second at a shade under 4 miles to Miami Beach.

DT SF/Boston are both about ~5 miles before you hit open water (there are still a few islands about 3 miles west of Winthrop, Boston in the harbor mind you).

The tip of Manhattan is almost 12 miles from Breezy Point in Brooklyn.

DT LA is ~14 miles from the Pacific in Santa Monica.

If you consider the Great Lakes as a “coast” only Chicago & Milwaukee DT actually sit on the shore front.
Technically Honolulu is closer than SD, no?

You’re right about the Great Lakes being a gray area with this. They’re not really placid like a normal lake so I’d be inclined to count them, but it’s very debatable.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:16 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
DT San Deigo is closer to the Pacific than DT Miami is to the Atlantic by over a mile.
I mean… I hardly consider Biscayne to be a bay in the conventional sense. Bunch of narrow keys in an otherwise pretty open area. I was thinking more along the lines of Coconut Grove area which is closer to DT Miami than Coronado is to DT San Diego.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Technically Honolulu is closer than SD, no?

You’re right about the Great Lakes being a gray area with this. They’re not really placid like a normal lake so I’d be inclined to count them, but it’s very debatable.
Yeah if are including Honolulu it takes the win, but for Continental US its SD/Miami > SF/Boston > NYC > LA

Old 09-07-2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I mean… I hardly consider Biscayne to be a bay in the conventional sense. Bunch of narrow keys in an otherwise pretty open area. I was thinking more along the lines of Coconut Grove area which is closer to DT Miami than Coronado is to DT San Diego.
I mean you could say that about Coronado considering how slender it the peninsula gets, but I get your point.

Miami is the more than likely the closest DT functionally (driving distance or maritime)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.