Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 04:48 PM

7 posts, read 16,362 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am currently living at my friend's house in Hattiesburg since my place down in New Orleans probably no longer exists cause of the hurricane and I thought it might be a good time to start over in a new city. Where should I go? Here is my criteria:

Colder summers and lots of snow in the winter (I went to Colorado once in the summer of 2010 and again in the winter of 2011 and loved the weather while I was there)

Cheap housing

Low crime

Fun things to do

Light traffic

Conservative-leaning (I'm not really into politics, I just found conservatives to be a lot more friendly and down-to-earth than liberals)

Somewhere (at least kind of) between my mom's side of the family in Maryland and my dad's side in Kansas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2021, 06:09 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,218,312 times
You can try out Mobile, AL. Doesn't quite fit all your criteria, but I mention it because of your affiliation to New Orleans. Mobile and New Orleans are similar culturally because of their shared history, such as Mardi Gras. A big difference is Mobile's topography, The Mobile area (Mobile and Baldwin Counties) has probably the highest coastal elevations along the gulf and east coasts. The vast majority of developed Mobile is well outside the reach of storm surge. For example, the elevation of East Mobile (the coastal side) ranges from 25 to 100 feet and West Mobile averages 100-210 feet. The suburbs of Daphne and Fairhope are cities along the Mobile Bay and have average elevations of 100+ feet. Inland suburbs cities of Loxley, Semmes and Citronelle have elevations of 170, 220, and 310 respectively, so the chances of losing a house to a hurricane is fairly low compared to most coastal cities.

Housing in the Mobile metro is also very cheap (cheaper than New Orleans)
Crime is surprising low, (from my research is among the safest major cities in the South, as well safer than quite a lot of non southern cities, statistically 10x safer than NOLA proper apparently, the Mobile Suburbs are incredibly safe)
Traffic in Mobile County isn't that bad, Baldwin County is suffering from growing pains
Mobile County is conservative leaning, Baldwin County, fairly conservative

Mobile area has a lot of things to do, not to mention events that happen in nearby Biloxi and Pensacola as well as back to NOLA

Old 09-08-2021, 06:23 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Some possibilities to investigate: MAYBE somewhere in SW Missouri / NW Arkansas. Or probably better overall: Dahlonega GA, Brevard NC, Roanoke VA.

Or maybe Canon City CO. Spearfish / Rapid City SD. Possibly Canyon TX.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-08-2021 at 06:52 PM..

Old 09-08-2021, 06:58 PM

7 posts, read 16,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
You can try out Mobile, AL. Doesn't quite fit all your criteria, but I mention it because of your affiliation to New Orleans. Mobile and New Orleans are similar culturally because of their shared history, such as Mardi Gras. A big difference is Mobile's topography, The Mobile area (Mobile and Baldwin Counties) has probably the highest coastal elevations along the gulf and east coasts. The vast majority of developed Mobile is well outside the reach of storm surge. For example, the elevation of East Mobile (the coastal side) ranges from 25 to 100 feet and West Mobile averages 100-210 feet. The suburbs of Daphne and Fairhope are cities along the Mobile Bay and have average elevations of 100+ feet. Inland suburbs cities of Loxley, Semmes and Citronelle have elevations of 170, 220, and 310 respectively, so the chances of losing a house to a hurricane is fairly low compared to most coastal cities.

Housing in the Mobile metro is also very cheap (cheaper than New Orleans)
Crime is surprising low, (from my research is among the safest major cities in the South, as well safer than quite a lot of non southern cities, statistically 10x safer than NOLA proper apparently, the Mobile Suburbs are incredibly safe)
Traffic in Mobile County isn't that bad, Baldwin County is suffering from growing pains
Mobile County is conservative leaning, Baldwin County, fairly conservative

Mobile area has a lot of things to do, not to mention events that happen in nearby Biloxi and Pensacola as well as back to NOLA
I appreciate the input but I'm looking to escape the coast as a whole. My friend and the commenter above me mentioned Arkansas. Do you think Arkansas would be a good fit? The northwest part seems a bit pricey so I might look somewhere near Little Rock or Fort Smith. Heard Fort Smith has a lot of western heritage which is very interesting.

Old 09-08-2021, 07:02 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,107,650 times
What about someplace like Nashville or Branson.... touristy vibe like NOLA but fun.

Old 09-08-2021, 07:05 PM

113 posts, read 103,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlOfDuty View Post
I appreciate the input but I'm looking to escape the coast as a whole. My friend and the commenter above me mentioned Arkansas. Do you think Arkansas would be a good fit? The northwest part seems a bit pricey so I might look somewhere near Little Rock or Fort Smith.
I'm currently in Little Rock, and I haven't been here for very long. You mentioned low crime, we bought a used car here and a week later it was stolen!! So I would not recommend this place. People here are rude and disrespectful, they don't have a clue to wait customer service means. That's just my opinion.

Old 09-08-2021, 07:44 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Somewhere in West Virginia might be a good fit. Probably Morgantown would be your best bet. Flagstaff, AZ has cooler summers, I think, and lots of snow in the winter. Not sure about the other criteria. Western Michigan (Grand Rapids area) might fit a lot of what you're looking for as well.

Old 09-08-2021, 07:55 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,218,312 times
Quote:
I appreciate the input but I'm looking to escape the coast as a whole. My friend and the commenter above me mentioned Arkansas. Do you think Arkansas would be a good fit? The northwest part seems a bit pricey so I might look somewhere near Little Rock or Fort Smith. Heard Fort Smith has a lot of western heritage which is very interesting.
That’s fair, as for Arkansas, I would personally only settle for Northwest Arkansas, everywhere else in the state seems to be a bit rough

Old 09-09-2021, 07:07 PM

730 posts, read 815,463 times
Quote:
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Cookeville, Tennessee

Old 09-09-2021, 07:46 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
1. South Bend, IN - Northwest Indiana, close to MI border, into MI
2. Toledo AREA, OH
3. The Virginia Mountain Areas, VA-WV (Harper's Ferry and Morgantown,WV for example)
4. Rural Upstate NY between Buffalo and the Finger Lakes
5. Rural Middle PA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.