Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 09:47 PM

944 posts, read 3,848,700 times

Advertisements

Have you ever used Google Earth or Google Maps to revisit places you haven't been able to re-visit in person?

I remember learning about erosion in grade school and walking through a park where there were real, fluctuating effects of a mature stream (including Oxbow Lakes) and I recently looked in from above using Google Earth and it was neat to see some of the subtle and drastuc changes that had taken place. Being able to retrace a stream's path puts 'time' into a perpsective that I find very humbling.

I also check out NYC all of the time. That is truly mind-blowing. I can't think of a place that changes quite like NYC.

Share your stories, locations and thoughts. And if you haven't checked out Google Maps or downloaded Google Earth, get busy.

BTW, I would love to add links to the satellite photos, but I can't get that working. Anyone had success with that yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 10:48 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I'd LOVE to see some aerial imagery of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre MSA, but, alas, images still aren't available for our area. Once you try to zoom in to a certain point, you get nothing but an error message, and the closest zoom level visible is so blurry that you can't even make out individual towns, much less neighborhoods or even cars parked in driveways, as I saw while combing through NJ. Why is Scranton always the "forgotten" place?

Old 01-02-2007, 01:06 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
I did that for hours when I first got Google Earth! Went around my old neighborhoods, looked at ALL the places I've lived (about 20), and so forth. I also like using it to visit places I haven't been yet, or that I'm fascinated with... check out parts of central Africa some time, and you'll discover some really cool stuff. I occasionally visit their forum, to find links to the most interesting finds & trivia... but no, I haven't figured out how to make my own yet. I probably could if I took the time, since I've never even tried. But if I got started with doing that, I'd never get off my computer! Now if only they'd add more high-resolution images, I would be even more interested in GE.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:54 AM

944 posts, read 3,848,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
alas, images still aren't available for our area.
That should tell you something about where you live!

I kid, I kid!

Old 01-02-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
That should tell you something about where you live!

I kid, I kid!

Now, now, now! We just got indoor plumbing last year! How many other areas could say the same? We now use our outhouse as a neighborhood beauty parlor. The scent you leave with is free of charge!

Old 01-02-2007, 01:23 PM

All kidding aside, does anyone know if GoogleEarth has a schedule somewhere of anticipated release dates for aerial imagery for areas that are still without service? NEPA is a very beautiful place; I'd LOVE to see the vast metropolis of Scranton from space!

Old 01-02-2007, 08:46 PM

454 posts, read 906,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
All kidding aside, does anyone know if GoogleEarth has a schedule somewhere of anticipated release dates for aerial imagery for areas that are still without service? NEPA is a very beautiful place; I'd LOVE to see the vast metropolis of Scranton from space!
I talked to Google several months ago because part of my companies area was not in high resolution. I got the typical "we're working on it" response. Nothing upgraded yet.

Expect more competition with the updated microsoft live site that now has 3D building for major cities in full color. For seattle, I can fly down the streets between buildings. Pretty dang cool! They have plans to get you to street level and actually be able to visit stores and such.

Competition is a good thing, so expect Google to step up, or step out.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dufferz View Post
I talked to Google several months ago because part of my companies area was not in high resolution. I got the typical "we're working on it" response. Nothing upgraded yet.
Google has been "working on" Scranton now for month after month after month. Meanwhile, I can see trees---lots of them---in brilliant, high-definition in NW NJ!

Quote:
Expect more competition with the updated microsoft live site that now has 3D building for major cities in full color. For seattle, I can fly down the streets between buildings. Pretty dang cool! They have plans to get you to street level and actually be able to visit stores and such.
While Google Earth can't even bring me decent aerial views of an entire city, let alone a neighborhood, for the city of Scranton, Microsoft is developing a super high-tech system that will let you navigate through city streets from Cyberspace? Once again, WHY IS SCRANTON ALWAYS THE "FORGOTTEN" CITY?!!

Quote:
Competition is a good thing, so expect Google to step up, or step out.
Yes. They had better "step up" or else I'm turning to Microsoft's new system. I've been waiting now for ages for aerial imagery of Northeastern Pennsylvania; it seems so odd too, considering that we're very near to parts of NJ and SE PA that are already included.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:41 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
I have a close friend who works for Google, so maybe I'll push him for info... plus I do live about 4 miles from their headquarters, so if you'd all like, I can knock on their door & demand answers! LOL.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:26 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
We just noticed that we now have the "new and improved" hi-res version of our area....and I live in "fly-over" country !!!

It's a little creepy: "Oh, look , there's my car in the driveway!"

Googlemaps=time-killer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.