Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 03:00 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times

Advertisements

Some people might flee to cheaper pastures.

Others will choose to live in their "dream city."

Wages will limit people's options in the latter case, but the trend could be significant.

We really don't know how that will balance out. For now, apartments in my expensive city are at the lowest vacancy rate in memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 02:57 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I was going to say this. Median age is biased by families with young children. For me a city full of childless 20-somethings is "younger" than a city full of families that have 2+ young children. Median age is probably lower for the latter, however.
People forget that you can still be young and have a family. Plenty of millenals are starting families before age 30.

Old 10-14-2021, 03:25 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Several different types here...

Seattle (city of) for example is huge with 20-somethings but low in kids and probably 30-somethings. The Census site isn't working so I can't pull real comparison data.

Median age data doesn't help much, as you don't know which groups are high and low.
Quote:
I was going to say this. Median age is biased by families with young children. For me a city full of childless 20-somethings is "younger" than a city full of families that have 2+ young children. Median age is probably lower for the latter, however.
Yeah I was on my phone waiting for someone and, in that amount of time, wasn't able to find data on specific age brackets.

I also think the "youthful energy" is gonna be a lot stronger in cities where the young people are mostly transplants vs. growing up there, although this is probably also correlated with lower marriage rates / fewer kids per household.

Looking through C-D's data maps, I'm not seeing a statistic like "% of 18-35s who were born in another state" which would really be ideal. But it seems like three statistics that would, together, form a useful proxy for youthful energy are:
1. % born in other state (higher)
2. Median age (lower)
3. Average household size (lower --- to counteract "younger" places that really just have a lot of kids living at home)

Zooming out on the maps to state level, no state really stands out on all three metrics, but it looks like a few that should generally do better are Washington, Colorado, and North Dakota. Among the lowest "youthful energy" states would be Hawaii, California, Michigan, and Louisiana. Hmm...

Old 10-14-2021, 03:48 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
The Census Dept. has age-bracket data. It just wasn't working when I looked.

Now it does. Here are percentages for US, WA, Seattle from the 2018 ACS:

10-14: 6.5, 6.2, 3.9
15-19: 6.6, 6.0, 4.4
20-24: 6.6, 6.3, 8.2
25-34: 13.9, 15.3, 23.8

The ranges aren't convenient to typical like phases, and I wish they used five-year increments consistently, but they still say a lot. I bet a 25-29 increment would be especially stark here.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:45 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Map of median age by US county

Most of the variation is in rural areas; most cities are the same middle-ground white color. Santa Fe, NM stands out as a decent-sized city with a higher median age. Ironically, my main association with the city is "Meow Wolf", a documentary I saw about an art collective / funhouse created by 20-somethings there.
Interesting how the two ends of the East Coast are on average older. While Florida isn’t surprising, Maine is. Why Maine?

Old 10-15-2021, 03:44 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Core cities is such an apples-to-oranges comparison.. Austin has 3x more people than Pittsburgh in the city limits, despite being a smaller metro. Pittsburgh has several universities and only 300k people, so the high 18 to 24 % makes sense on that front.
Here's the 25-34 population percentage by county, per 2019 Census Bureau estimates:

23.2% San Francisco County, CA
20.6% Davidson County, TN
20.2% Travis County, TX
17.2% Mecklenburg County, NC
15.4% Allegheny County, PA
14.7% Maricopa County, AZ
14.5% Wayne County, MI
14.4% Cuyahoga County, OH
14.3% Erie County, NY
13.9% UNITED STATES

In its urban core, Pittsburgh is not as young as Austin or Nashville, but is younger than its "Rust Belt" peers.

Old 10-16-2021, 03:26 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Here's the 25-34 population percentage by county, per 2019 Census Bureau estimates:

23.2% San Francisco County, CA
20.6% Davidson County, TN
20.2% Travis County, TX
17.2% Mecklenburg County, NC
15.4% Allegheny County, PA
14.7% Maricopa County, AZ
14.5% Wayne County, MI
14.4% Cuyahoga County, OH
14.3% Erie County, NY
13.9% UNITED STATES

In its urban core, Pittsburgh is not as young as Austin or Nashville, but is younger than its "Rust Belt" peers.

Phoenix is not just for retirees. Shocking.

Old 10-16-2021, 03:48 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Interesting how the two ends of the East Coast are on average older. While Florida isn’t surprising, Maine is. Why Maine?
Lack of jobs, lack of major cities, and it doesn't have significant populations of groups that tend to have more kids (Latinos, Mormons, the Amish)

Old 10-17-2021, 07:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Funny you would mention Maine because it was when I was visiting Maine that I first looked up "states ranked by median age." That was because I turned around and told my husband "Maine must be an old state - I mean, the median age must be old." AND IT IS. Maine is one of the oldest states when it comes to median age. I have no idea why. I come from Texas which is one of the youngest states when it comes to median age. And I had always said "Texas is a place where it's great to be young and make money." I think I was right.

I know this - a few years ago my husband and I were considering relocating and we looked at several states. Wow you can really tell the difference that age makes when you look at overall cost of living for example.

Old 10-17-2021, 08:03 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Map of median age by US county

Most of the variation is in rural areas; most cities are the same middle-ground white color. Santa Fe, NM stands out as a decent-sized city with a higher median age. Ironically, my main association with the city is "Meow Wolf", a documentary I saw about an art collective / funhouse created by 20-somethings there.
Cool map. What do Mormons and Latinos have in common? They have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.