Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 03:55 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,552,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I do Uber / Lyft as a part time gig in Austin. To those saying Uber / Lyft treat their ‘contractors’ like crap, well… you’re correct. All I can ever see myself doing it is a part time gig. I mainly use it to pay the tolls and repay all the debt incurred during my 2020 layoff period. There’s 0 protection for drivers whatsoever in the event you get a nut job. We don’t get paid for the time / distance we have to consume to drive to our passengers which is a hassle when we receive requests more than 10 miles from our location. Uber / Lyft do not pay a lot ordinarily either but with surges I have managed around $700 extra every weekend. The market for it in Austin is strong. It is true that we are a lot more sparse in the suburbs though.
They do. Horrible companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2021, 08:17 PM

11,794 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Yeah. If the market here in Austin wasn’t strong and I wasn’t making decent money, I wouldn’t recommend doing it. They use your car and rack the miles and vehicle expenses up while giving you back close to nothing for repairs or maintenance. Passengers treat you as if you don’t even exist and will do anything from making out in the back seat to vomiting because they couldn’t drive home intoxicated, then you get the irate nut jobs who tell you about all the guns they carry in their own car and make unnecessary demands. Finally it’s extremely exhausting (I do it all day during the weekends.) They will even throttle you if you start making too much by causing you to go incognito on the map so you won’t receive ride requests unless it’s one like 30 minutes away from your location.

All of their support is in India or something so if you need assistance you get to wait in a queue to speak to Rohit who barely speaks English and will make sure he does everything he can to completely ignore your problem or situation and get you off the line as quickly as possible.

For now I’m just glad I have a way of paying back my 2020 debt using it as a second job so it’s the lesser of the two evils. I long for the day I can return to a normal life though.

Old 10-19-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Yeah. If the market here in Austin wasn’t strong and I wasn’t making decent money, I wouldn’t recommend doing it. They use your car and rack the miles and vehicle expenses up while giving you back close to nothing for repairs or maintenance. Passengers treat you as if you don’t even exist and will do anything from making out in the back seat to vomiting because they couldn’t drive home intoxicated, then you get the irate nut jobs who tell you about all the guns they carry in their own car and make unnecessary demands. Finally it’s extremely exhausting (I do it all day during the weekends.) They will even throttle you if you start making too much by causing you to go incognito on the map so you won’t receive ride requests unless it’s one like 30 minutes away from your location.

All of their support is in India or something so if you need assistance you get to wait in a queue to speak to Rohit who barely speaks English and will make sure he does everything he can to completely ignore your problem or situation and get you off the line as quickly as possible.

For now I’m just glad I have a way of paying back my 2020 debt using it as a second job so it’s the lesser of the two evils. I long for the day I can return to a normal life though.
I've heard this is all true. Have also heard that they will try to cheat the drivers on their bonuses. Have a few relatives that do the rideshare thing, mad respect for them. Heard you can make 10k a month pretty easily. When they tell me about Uber cheating them out of money I ask why not sue? They said it's not worth it, Uber/Lyft cheats you incrementally, 5.00 here, 12.00 there, etc. Who sues over that?

Old 10-20-2021, 03:05 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
Quote:
I do Uber / Lyft as a part time gig in Austin. To those saying Uber / Lyft treat their ‘contractors’ like crap, well… you’re correct. All I can ever see myself doing it is a part time gig. I mainly use it to pay the tolls and repay all the debt incurred during my 2020 layoff period. There’s 0 protection for drivers whatsoever in the event you get a nut job. We don’t get paid for the time / distance we have to consume to drive to our passengers which is a hassle when we receive requests more than 10 miles from our location. Uber / Lyft do not pay a lot ordinarily either but with surges I have managed between $700 and $1200 extra every weekend. The market for it in Austin is strong. It is true that we are a lot more sparse in the suburbs though.
Curious, what would you say your avg. hourly rate is (gross)?

Old 10-25-2021, 07:05 PM

828 posts, read 648,507 times
Prices have gone up significantly for Uber/Lyft and waits are 2-3x as long as previously. Have had decent luck w/ Uber in general in Chicago, Seattle, St. Louis, Philly, most larger cities tbh. Not so great where I am (10-15 min. wait is pretty normal)

Old 10-26-2021, 08:47 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I also do it in Austin for extra income on the side. It depends if you do it during a streak bonus or during normal hours. I typically don't make less than $20 an hour and with streaks have made up to $50, and one day even averaged $80 an hour (anything above $30/hr is rare). On average I would say I can make $25-$30 an hour.

It sounds decent at face value. However, driving 75 miles in an hour and easily 1,000 miles in a week, you quickly rack up the miles on your vehicle and can easily go through a full tank of gas in a single "shift". Having to pay $50 to fill up, that takes away two hours worth of the average hourly income. $75 for an oil change and that's another three hours worth of income lost to maintenance. Toll fees also stack up, where I have had to spend up to $20 a day.

Before you know it, after expenses, you may have only made maybe $10-$15/hr, any given day. Now take into consideration the company may be charging you $50 for a ride. Well a driver will only see about $15 of that.

Old 10-26-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Could be anywhere from 20-60 an hour from what I've heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.