Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2021, 08:49 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times

Advertisements

A lot of places fit the bill minus the free parking (usually).
When we lived in Kansas City, we figured out how to work around paying for parking a lot of the time.

Many cities if not most, have worked to improve their downtowns over the years.
Seems like some areas are trying to pedal backwards on that one, especially some on the coasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2021, 10:52 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,027 times
Sacramento
Savannah
Tulsa

Old 10-24-2021, 11:55 AM

1,406 posts, read 800,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
DENVER Colorado,check it out
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Denver definitely and Phoenix
I live in Denver. It is the opposite of everything I ask for (except for somewhat interesting dining options)

Old 10-24-2021, 12:11 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
That's great if there are actually downtowns that feel they can compete with the free parking offered by malls and big box stores. Other than maybe in the biggest cities, I don't think many downtowns are doing it.
I was under the impression that most malls were dead or dying? Maybe I’m wrong.

Making city centers better places to walk and bike is more beneficial to businesses. Nobody wants to see a downtown with parking lots everywhere. That’s what kills cities.

Old 10-24-2021, 12:35 PM

27,188 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post

Making city centers better places to walk and bike is more beneficial to businesses. Nobody wants to see a downtown with parking lots everywhere. That’s what kills cities.
That's a bit of a falsehood. It's more like a market correction as is the case in any other industry. Malls proliferated in the 1990s and what we're seeing now is a result of overbuilding and/or poor demographic choices by mall developers.

Old 10-24-2021, 12:44 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
I live in Denver. It is the opposite of everything I ask for (except for somewhat interesting dining options)
You're asking for the suburbs like Olde Town Arvada.

Old 10-24-2021, 01:14 PM

1,406 posts, read 800,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You're asking for the suburbs like Olde Town Arvada.
Or downtown Littleton. But I was looking for a little bigger

Old 10-24-2021, 01:36 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post

I should have included strip malls. They have also done a lot in causing vacancies downtown and are not as much affected by adverse circumstances many enclosed malls find themselves in. But largely from the result of covid about everywhere has shop space available.

Old 10-24-2021, 10:00 PM

10,213 posts, read 15,914,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
Easy to navigate streets, plenty of (preferably free) parking, clean, safe, not overrun with homeless, decent shopping and dining

Any place in the US like that
Depends on how you define a major city. Charleston, South Carolina was probably the most well kept city but parking can be somewhat challenging.

Parking is relatively easy in Baton Rouge and its nice during the day but gets sketchy at night.

In terms of VERY large cities I think the nicest downtown areas were Houston, Dallas, Miami and Seattle. Atlanta's downtown looks very nice but has a larger ghetto element.

Old 10-24-2021, 10:05 PM

473 posts, read 404,823 times
I am surprised no one has mentioned Greenville, SC.

It's the most beautiful downtown I have seen. Too bad it is such a poorly-kept "secret".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.