Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 03:57 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times

Advertisements

How many of you can name all 24 regions in Sweden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 04:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
People overseas think on a much more international scale than Americans do.
Yes, indeed. Just look at this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I remember in the British high school I went to while a teenager in Hong Kong, in our geography textbook it said "New England" was a state in the US. And it was pointless to try to correct them.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:14 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's why I think most of these lists are garbage.
Most of these sorts of lists are dripping in so much bias it shows in their reporting. However, someone knows about Texas and New Mexico since my properties in both States have continued to grow in value (Texas significantly) throughout the media's so-called real estate "downturn."

Keep those lists coming.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:34 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Not really. I doubt people overseas care which U.S. state produces oil. The percentage of global oil produced in Texas is extremely tiny. There are reserves in Venezuela, Nigeria, and the Middle East that produce and hold MUCH more oil than Texas.

People overseas think on a much more international scale than Americans do. They are more likely to be aware that the United States receives oil from the Middle East than from Oil Country, Texas.
It's actually not really about how much globally. The point is that Texas is the main producer in the US. When people think Old West, I think a lot of people think Texas, whether it's justified or not. That alone holds a much bigger image than NC because when people think of Old South I think they think of Atlanta (Georgia).

Last edited by theSUBlime; 05-18-2008 at 08:43 PM..

Old 05-18-2008, 09:35 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
I'm not surprised that TN & KY rank right up there because they are melodic and show up in a lot of songs. Especially Tennessee. Kentucky has the chicken of course and the Kentucky Derby, does that get much press outside the US? Carolina is melodic, but I am surprised NC ranked so high compared to SC. My only guess with NM is the word Mexico would ring a bell with most foriegners and that's what they reacted to.

Most young people I met in Europe recognized TN -- "ooooh, Elveees Presleee......." It was a bit disconcerting because Memphis seems like a foreign country to me, but I would just smile and say yes, Elvis Presley...

I too am surprised Texas ranked so low. Not because of oil, but the very distinctive boundary. I think it's very well branded within the US. One of the most recognizable outlines after Florida.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:44 AM

422 posts, read 758,341 times
Tennessee might be known due to Jack Daniel's whiskey. Kentucky is definitely known because of KFC.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:25 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
I think it makes sense. Most people in other countries will know cities in the US, but they really don't have a reason for knowing (or caring) about the specific states.

California, Hawaii, New York, Florida....these all bring to mind a specific lifestyle and geography. Other states though, especially ones with a large city, will probably be overlooked in favor of just focusing on that specific city. Like Illinois, Texas, Ohio, etc.

People in the US tend to put Texas aside more because of it's history and the way the people in Texas let everyone know far and wide that they're from TEXAS, but in other countries it's more just another random state.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:22 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I can sense the Texans getting angry.
haha, that was obviously a pretty accurate prediction after reading all these posts.

Why do people get all butt hurt Texas is not so high up, it's still Top Ten. They kind of represent a lot of what other countries don't like about America; sprawl, big houses, big SUV's, over consumption, Bush, etc.....so why the hell is anyone that surprised? Aside from Yao Ming and Tony Parker, how is TX know internationally and what for? It just cracked me up how defensive people got about Texas.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:35 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Default 21 of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
How many of you can name all 24 regions in Sweden?
Counties aren't they?

Alvsborgs Lan
Blekinge Lan
Dalarnes Lan
Gavleborgs Lan
Goteborgs och Bohus Lan
Gotlands Lan
Hallands Lan
Jamtlands Lan
Jonkopings Lan
Kalmar Lan
Kristianstadt Lan
Kronobergs Lan
Malmohus Lan
Norrbottens Lan
Orebro Lan
Ostergotlands Lan
Skaraborgs Lan
Sodermanlands Lan
Stockholms Lan
Uppsala Lan
Varmlands Lan
Vasterbottens Lan
Vasternorrlands Lan
Vastmanlands Lan

Old 05-19-2008, 11:55 AM

31 posts, read 153,282 times
I think that in europe (I am Danish) we do not give much thought to the kinds of goods that americans seem to attah to their perception of a state. oil in texas, cars in detroit and so on. We have our own oil and we often buy european or asian cars.
But we do know /or have images of certain states or cities, and i think a lot of europeans know film like: fried green tomates, the color purple, and the now old tv series "North and South" - the one about the civil war. I think that is why we might think we know some states in the south mere that i.e. new jersey - a lot of europeans might think it is a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.