Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 11:48 AM

860 posts, read 1,356,882 times

Advertisements

I always thought it was cool that the 2 largest cities in NA have amusement parks within their city limits. Mexico City has Six Flags and multiple other smaller parks. NYC has Luna Park. I thought Knottsberry Farm and Universal Studios were within LA's city limits, but I was mistaken.

How many of you have a park within the actual city limits? My hometown of Cincy recently lost this distinction, as Coney Island converted to a waterpark only. Kings Island's about a 30 min drive from downtown, so that doesn't count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 11:54 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Denver is, I believe, the only major city in the US with a downtown amusement park - Elitch Gardens. Get there while you can. The long-term plan is to turn the area into high-end retail and multi-family housing. Elitch's will probably end up on the windswept prairie near DIA within the next decade or so.

Old 11-12-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Denver is, I believe, the only major city in the US with a downtown amusement park - Elitch Gardens. Get there while you can. The long-term plan is to turn the area into high-end retail and multi-family housing. Elitch's will probably end up on the windswept prairie near DIA within the next decade or so.
Whoa, I'm familiar with Elitch Gardens, but I didn't know it was DOWNTOWN downtown. Like, right there.

Old 11-12-2021, 12:06 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
Whoa, I'm familiar with Elitch Gardens, but I didn't know it was DOWNTOWN downtown. Like, right there.
Yup. Right on a light rail line, too. I'm old enough to have gone to the old Elitch's in its classic location in West Denver. I was pissed when they moved it downtown. It was much more compact, and the landscaping was infinitely better, but it was hemmed-in on all sides by neighborhoods. The downtown location allowed them to grow the park and make it more accessible, but for the first 15 years or so it was hotter than Hades in the summer because there was little shade.

Old 11-12-2021, 12:10 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Oaks Park is a small amusement park in Portland right next to the riverfront. It has all the standard attractions like roller skating, mini golf, games, and rides. It's surprisingly very hidden and hard to see unless you drive into the actual park.

Old 11-12-2021, 12:15 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
I always thought it was cool that the 2 largest cities in NA have amusement parks within their city limits. Mexico City has Six Flags and multiple other smaller parks. NYC has Luna Park. I thought Knottsberry Farm and Universal Studios were within LA's city limits, but I was mistaken.

How many of you have a park within the actual city limits? My hometown of Cincy recently lost this distinction, as Coney Island converted to a waterpark only. Kings Island's about a 30 min drive from downtown, so that doesn't count.
You're only partially correct about Universal. Its unincorporated LA county. Universal City is surrounded by city of LA.

Old 11-12-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
You're only partially correct about Universal. Its unincorporated LA county. Universal City is surrounded by city of LA.
Ahhh ok. I had sworn to have seen Universal Studios with an LA address. That makes sense now.

Old 11-12-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Yup. Right on a light rail line, too. I'm old enough to have gone to the old Elitch's in its classic location in West Denver. I was pissed when they moved it downtown. It was much more compact, and the landscaping was infinitely better, but it was hemmed-in on all sides by neighborhoods. The downtown location allowed them to grow the park and make it more accessible, but for the first 15 years or so it was hotter than Hades in the summer because there was little shade.
Ok, the light rail access has me wondering how many other parks are accessible by transit. That's pretty cool for Denver.

Old 11-12-2021, 12:57 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,695,327 times
I believe Busch Gardens Tampa Bay ?

I’m not an expert here, but aren’t SOME of the Orlando theme parks in orlando? (I know some are in lake buena vista as well…)

Old 11-12-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I believe Busch Gardens Tampa Bay ?

I’m not an expert here, but aren’t SOME of the Orlando theme parks in orlando? (I know some are in lake buena vista as well…)
Orlando city does indeed claim the entirety of Universal Orlando Resort. They're in the club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.