Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,442 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to figure out where I want to live and found this forum. I'm 24, but feeling ready to put down roots somewhere new. I am originally from Michigan (grew up metro Detroit and northern Michigan, went to college near Ann Arbor). This summer I got a fully remote job and moved to Florida to stay with my mom while I decide where to go next. I'm looking to move next spring.

Here is some criteria I'm looking for:

-AFFORDABILITY: Ability to live on 60k salary as a single person comfortably. I'm early in my career, so this will go up but I don't want to be struggling until that happens.

-RURAL / MID SIZE CITY: I don't want to live in suburbia. I want to be able to buy a house with land, but I would like to be within 30 minutes of a mid size city that has a downtown with restaurants / bars / entertainment. I'd love if the city has a lot of local businesses as well.

-OUTDOORS: I love spending time outdoors so proximity to parks, hiking, mountains, and ocean / lakes to swim and kayak. Biking trails would be nice too.

-POLITICS: Leaning left is preferable. Okay with a moderate area as long as it's LGBTQ friendly. Some other progressives preferable to find like minded community.

-WEATHER: Open to most climates. I love 4 seasons but struggle when it's gloomy all the time or rains everyday (probably rules out the PNW). I don't mind snow, especially if it's guaranteed by Christmas. I hated the hot humid Florida summer.
If a place fits every other category I would overlook this, especially considering I could travel somewhere else for a few months as a remote worker.

-BONUS: Close by airport, within a few hours of a big city where concert tours usually go.

-PLACES I've considered: Outside of cities like Asheville NC, Savannah GA, Eugene OR. Possibly New England towns in Vermont / Maine, not sure which ones to look at specifically.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2021, 12:32 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Chattanooga, Knoxville, Greenville. The metros aren’t left leaning however, but they cross off your other boxes. And close to Atlanta when you need the big city

Old 11-14-2021, 01:15 PM

2,330 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Pickens, SC meets most of the criteria, but I don’t think it is left leaning. It’s also still fairly hot in the summer.

For a cooler environment, I’m thinking parts of New Hampshire might work well like Keene and Manchester.

Charles Town, WV can get an honorable mention too, though it’s probably more remote than you want.

Old 11-14-2021, 03:25 PM

994 posts, read 966,364 times
left leaning , try near Asheville,NC

Old 11-14-2021, 04:18 PM

899 posts, read 517,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
Or Athens, GA

Old 11-14-2021, 08:17 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Pickens, SC meets most of the criteria, but I don’t think it is left leaning. It’s also still fairly hot in the summer.

For a cooler environment, I’m thinking parts of New Hampshire might work well like Keene and Manchester.

Charles Town, WV can get an honorable mention too, though it’s probably more remote than you want.
Charles Town has commuter train access to DC.

As for the OP, I would add the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area of NY as another potential area to look into.

Old 11-14-2021, 08:50 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
IN Asheville, but not NEAR it. The city really is an island of blue in a deeply red, socially conservative area of Appalachia. Go not too far outside of the city and you'll see plenty of open carry, pickups with gun racks, Confederate flags, and MAGA hats. Even now.

Not too far away from Asheville you might try Boone, which is outdoorsy, quasi-touristy, and has a college in it, Appalachian State, that gives it something of a youthful artsy vibe. But it really is a small town. I can see getting bored there and ending up in Asheville anyway. Or in Charlotte, 90+ minutes away.

Last edited by citylove101; 11-14-2021 at 09:18 PM..

Old 11-15-2021, 06:10 AM

913 posts, read 559,331 times
For some this is a factor: it's one thing to find a metro with congenial political alignment, but if it's in a non-swing state with a strongly opposing political alignment, you may find the state overriding the local in matters that concern you.

Old 11-15-2021, 06:45 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Airport? Throw in Cookeville TN, near enough to Nashville to count.

Old 11-15-2021, 11:56 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by na97 View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to figure out where I want to live and found this forum. I'm 24, but feeling ready to put down roots somewhere new. I am originally from Michigan (grew up metro Detroit and northern Michigan, went to college near Ann Arbor). This summer I got a fully remote job and moved to Florida to stay with my mom while I decide where to go next. I'm looking to move next spring.

Here is some criteria I'm looking for:

-AFFORDABILITY: Ability to live on 60k salary as a single person comfortably. I'm early in my career, so this will go up but I don't want to be struggling until that happens.

-RURAL / MID SIZE CITY: I don't want to live in suburbia. I want to be able to buy a house with land, but I would like to be within 30 minutes of a mid size city that has a downtown with restaurants / bars / entertainment. I'd love if the city has a lot of local businesses as well.

-OUTDOORS: I love spending time outdoors so proximity to parks, hiking, mountains, and ocean / lakes to swim and kayak. Biking trails would be nice too.

-POLITICS: Leaning left is preferable. Okay with a moderate area as long as it's LGBTQ friendly. Some other progressives preferable to find like minded community.

-WEATHER: Open to most climates. I love 4 seasons but struggle when it's gloomy all the time or rains everyday (probably rules out the PNW). I don't mind snow, especially if it's guaranteed by Christmas. I hated the hot humid Florida summer.
If a place fits every other category I would overlook this, especially considering I could travel somewhere else for a few months as a remote worker.

-BONUS: Close by airport, within a few hours of a big city where concert tours usually go.

-PLACES I've considered: Outside of cities like Asheville NC, Savannah GA, Eugene OR. Possibly New England towns in Vermont / Maine, not sure which ones to look at specifically.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Until you check it out you'll probably think I've lost my mind, but would highly suggest Columbia SC. It's an affordable mid-sized city with excellent outdoor recreation in-town and within a reasonable drive, left-leaning despite SC's overall lean right (which is moderating over time), very active downtown and entertainment districts, LGBTQ+-friendly with a very visible and active community (while lacking the uptight pretense of many cities), has a milder four-season climate with nice Falls/Springs, short mild winters and hot/humid summers (the usual 2-3 months), has secondary airport status with nonstop flights to/from NYC, DC, Philadelphia, Chicago, Atlanta and several others (or drive 90 minutes to Charlotte) and finally usually a concert tour hotspot due to the University oF South Carolina and its central location within the state.

https://www.experiencecolumbiasc.com...or-recreation/
https://www.experiencecolumbiasc.com...entertainment/
https://www.experiencecolumbiasc.com...e-vista/15855/
https://www.tripsavvy.com/columbia-s...-guide-1417216
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.