Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2021, 10:00 PM

8 posts, read 11,304 times

Advertisements

I'm wanting to move out of Tucson and since I have nothing swaying me in any one direction I'm going to put quality of life first. This means getting the most property I can in a good community and so long as I'm within 100 miles of a Costco I'm good with that. The only other parameter weighing on me due to some health issues is I would like to be in climate zones 2 or 3 and lower humidity. So I think that leaves us with maybe NV, AZ, NM, TX, a small touch of NV and UT

Plan B to expand my range a little further is I could move someplace colder as my primary residence and I think I could come up with a place in AZ to stay for 5 months of the year during the winter.

Anyway, I know some States offer a SSI supplement, some have no sales tax, some offer an exemption on property tax and all of these things would factor into quality of life things for somebody on a seriously limited income.

I could be completely off base on some or much of this so I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences if you're in the same situation or have dealt with anything like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2021, 11:38 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,106,410 times
You might look in small towns North and South of Ontario, OR and on the other side of the Snake River around Fruitland, ID. Much milder weather there. Oregon has no sales tax and doesn't tax social security. Idaho has a sales tax, but less income tax, but if you have a low income, then Oregon and Idaho income taxes probably won't impact you much if at all. You can find many smaller towns, with lower real estate prices, all much less than 100 miles from a Costco, currently 3 in the Boise metro. Manufactured homes do well in the area since there aren't really any weather extremes that damage them (no tornados, large hail, hurricanes, high snow loads, etc.). Find a piece of land and have a manufactured home sited, or buy your turnkey/fixer property depending on your budget.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:10 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
Posting in the City-Data Retirement forum will give you more responses.

Old 11-17-2021, 10:49 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times
Texas is a wonderful state to live in --- not a glamorous destination for the influx crowd. Don't know about the Costcos.

Old 11-20-2021, 01:32 AM

4,961 posts, read 2,709,998 times
I'm a retiree who lives in South Texas. No taxes on SSI. Low cost of living. Beautiful weather in the winter. Summers hot but dry. For a couple of months in the summer I head up to my summer residence in North Dakota to escape the Texas heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.