Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you prefer to ski/snowboard?
New England 10 20.00%
Rockies 40 80.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 05:19 AM

6,819 posts, read 6,068,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Vermont and Upstate NY for the East Coast and that's about it. A few in NH too.

No contest compared to the Rockies though.
NH has more than a few good ski mountains. ME has a few itself: Sunday River and Sugarloaf for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 05:40 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,096,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
NH has more than a few good ski mountains. ME has a few itself: Sunday River and Sugarloaf for example.
Regardless, child's play compared to out West.

Old 11-18-2021, 05:48 AM

6,819 posts, read 6,068,537 times
Quote:
Regardless, child's play compared to out West.
Sure. Better than anything else in the east, though. Sometimes being second-best is still something to be proud of!

Old 11-18-2021, 06:09 AM

2,386 posts, read 1,865,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Sure. Better than anything else in the east, though. Sometimes being second-best is still something to be proud of!

Very true just like it's common knowledge that Rockies are second-best compared to the Alps. Still pretty good though!

Old 11-18-2021, 06:14 AM

12,192 posts, read 8,062,626 times
Quote:
Vermont and Upstate NY for the East Coast and that's about it. A few in NH too.

No contest compared to the Rockies though.
Yeah NYS has some good ones after New England.

Old 11-18-2021, 10:47 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,744,790 times
From what I've heard the powder in the west is just softer due to less moisture content in the snow. And that makes a big difference.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:32 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,118,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
This might be a hot take, but for like 85-90% of skiers it doesn’t really make a difference . (And I genuinely believe this about smaller vs bigger resorts within the east)

The big difference is season length. You get ~5 weeks or something in the west of good snow.
I agree with your 85 - 90% for the first couple years a person skis. If they take to the sport and progress, then the west has much more terrain and space to progress to. I don't know about your ~5 weeks of good snow in the west though. Most resorts, in most years, open for Thanksgiving and stop in April because people have moved on to other spring sports, not because there isn't enough snow. In good early snow years Bogus Basin, ~30 minutes outside of Boise, opens before Halloween, as do some other resorts in the area.

Old 11-18-2021, 01:03 PM

638 posts, read 352,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
From what I've heard the powder in the west is just softer due to less moisture content in the snow. And that makes a big difference.
Bigger issue than even that is just lack of snow. It’s not fun to ski on crusted ice. Skiing out west is just a lot more fun if you are a beginner. It’s not fun taking falls when there is lack of snow coverage.

Old 11-18-2021, 01:12 PM

638 posts, read 352,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Very true just like it's common knowledge that Rockies are second-best compared to the Alps. Still pretty good though!
Snow is actually better in the Rockies. The Alps are very developed. The resorts in North America are much less so . I’d say it is debatable whether skiing in the Alps is better. Regardless it is a more fair comparison vs. the east coast.

Old 11-18-2021, 01:28 PM

379 posts, read 470,061 times
I have skiied Mammoth, Big Bear, and Tahoe in the West, and Placid, Jiminy and Hunter in the East.

The powdery snow in the West was lovely - no question. But I may have gotten lucky the few times I skied Whiteface (Iceface), as there wasnt too much ice and it wasnt entirely different than what I experienced at say Big Bear. Further, the drop at Whiteface was way more intimidating than the three locales I skied out West.

Just my experience. Overall, no question that out West will be superior. I want to ski Tuckerman Ravine in NH some day - that looks to be epic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.