Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 09:44 AM

346 posts, read 456,579 times

Advertisements

Omaha always felt like a baby Chicago to me. It has a pretty good urban vibe to it for a smaller city and a strong midwestern/industrial feel that Chicago has. It does not have a big lake next to it, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 08:48 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,230,444 times
Detroit and Milwaukee.

Old 01-02-2022, 09:05 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHA188 View Post
Does anyone recommend any major city as an alternative for someone who loves Chicago but wants to move away?

Like if Chicago had a younger sibling that has similar offerings but maybe a bit smaller...
If you want true big city offerings on a "bit smaller" scale, you likely need to leave the Midwest. Nothing against Indy, Cleveland, Milwaukee, etc., but they offer nowhere near what Chicago offers. Detroit would be the best Midwest option. But if you want a midsize city, then you have plenty of Midwest options.

Based on the simple premise of your last sentence, I'd say Philadelphia, Boston, DC are the most obvious choices.

Old 01-02-2022, 12:38 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,815,368 times
Boise

Old 01-02-2022, 01:25 PM

1,353 posts, read 885,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
If you want true big city offerings on a "bit smaller" scale, you likely need to leave the Midwest. Nothing against Indy, Cleveland, Milwaukee, etc., but they offer nowhere near what Chicago offers. Detroit would be the best Midwest option. But if you want a midsize city, then you have plenty of Midwest options.

Based on the simple premise of your last sentence, I'd say Philadelphia, Boston, DC are the most obvious choices.
Minneapolis is above all those cities you mentioned as far as urban offerings and economy

Old 01-02-2022, 11:37 PM

4,537 posts, read 5,110,322 times
Quote:

I'm just curious, what 'big-city offerings' does Detroit have, that Cleveland or Milwaukee don't? If you want to note the sheer fact that Detroit is simply bigger in population and size, both inner-city and suburban, OK. But bigger doesn't necessarily mean better in this case for, in terms of things to do, quality restaurants, walkable neighborhoods, more intact growing/trendy neighborhoods, stronger downtown, public transit, I would find Detroit lacking compared to the other 2. And in cultural activities, Detroit lags somewhat behind Cleveland despite Detroit's size advantage; it's still good, but not quite as good... As for Milwaukee culturally, I can't speak on it; I don't know for certain.

And while, yes, Cleveland has neighborhoods of considerable blight; and has more and worse areas than Milwaukee, neither city holds a candle to Detroit in terms of urban/neighborhood blight and sheer abandonment. Detroit is trying and improving -- more power to them -- but the city has a long, long way to go.

Old 01-03-2022, 10:23 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,230,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I'm just curious, what 'big-city offerings' does Detroit have, that Cleveland or Milwaukee don't? If you want to note the sheer fact that Detroit is simply bigger in population and size, both inner-city and suburban, OK. But bigger doesn't necessarily mean better in this case for, in terms of things to do, quality restaurants, walkable neighborhoods, more intact growing/trendy neighborhoods, stronger downtown, public transit, I would find Detroit lacking compared to the other 2. And in cultural activities, Detroit lags somewhat behind Cleveland despite Detroit's size advantage; it's still good, but not quite as good... As for Milwaukee culturally, I can't speak on it; I don't know for certain.

And while, yes, Cleveland has neighborhoods of considerable blight; and has more and worse areas than Milwaukee, neither city holds a candle to Detroit in terms of urban/neighborhood blight and sheer abandonment. Detroit is trying and improving -- more power to them -- but the city has a long, long way to go.
Lol, you never fail to respond when someone might prefer Detroit over Cleveland. It comes in across as very thin skinned and condescending.

Old 01-03-2022, 12:03 PM

4,537 posts, read 5,110,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Lol, you never fail to respond when someone might prefer Detroit over Cleveland. It comes in across as very thin skinned and condescending.
I guess if you come in with your biases, it could come off as thin-skinned. Condescending? But, if you are truly open-minded and just don't default to the 'bigger is better' anti-intellectual bandwagon, you might see it differently. The issue wasn't whether one 'preferred' Detroit over Cleveland or Milwaukee -- everyone is entitled to her/his opinion; the poster stated Cleveland and Milwaukee 'have nowhere near what Chicago offers'... to which, I would agree -- but that Detroit would be the 'best Midwest option.' I am just asking poster for tangibles; he may convince me of something I'm not seeing. Can you?

Old 01-03-2022, 12:06 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Minneapolis is above all those cities you mentioned as far as urban offerings and economy
To be honest, I forgot about Minneapolis, could be an option.

However, outlandish to suggest Minneapolis is above Philadelphia, Boston or DC for urban offerings. How did you even arrive at that assumption?

All 3 suggestions I made have massive and diverse economies. Seems irrelevant, unless the OP needs a specific economic trait more lucrative in Minneapolis.

Last edited by cpomp; 01-03-2022 at 12:19 PM..

Old 01-03-2022, 02:01 PM

1,353 posts, read 885,937 times
Quote:
To be honest, I forgot about Minneapolis, could be an option.

However, outlandish to suggest Minneapolis is above Philadelphia, Boston or DC for urban offerings. How did you even arrive at that assumption?

All 3 suggestions I made have massive and diverse economies. Seems irrelevant, unless the OP needs a specific economic trait more lucrative in Minneapolis.
You listed Midwestern cities. I meant to say that Mpls is above the Midwestern cities you listed. I should have clarified. The northeastern cities you listed don't feel like smaller Chicagos.

Last edited by Kaszilla; 01-03-2022 at 02:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.