Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 12:45 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazbrah View Post
Wow, what an amazing resource! looks like they are in Arlington and northeast of DC.

This also answered my question about Hispanics in Baltimore, seems there is no huge pockets
In 2020 there’s a huge pocket in Southeast Baltimore City. Dramatic change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2022, 01:51 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Wow, what an amazing resource! looks like they are in Arlington and northeast of DC.

This also answered my question about Hispanics in Baltimore, seems there is no huge pockets
The map seems to go to the 2010 numbers by default, which I didn't realize. Click forward to the 2020 numbers and zoom in. There is now a cluster of Latino neighborhoods on the east side of Baltimore.

Old 01-13-2022, 03:04 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,420,713 times
Quote:
Could I ask what suburbs these are?
Also since DC and Baltimore are pretty close, does the Latin population also extend to Baltimore?

I've been looking into La Clinica del Pueblo in DC. I'm so surprised I axed it completely and now its in the top 5.
In Northern Virginia:
Parts of Arlington, VA and Alexandria city, Manassas city, Fairfax County (around Columbia Pikeand Prince William county in northern Virginia.

In Maryland:
Montgomery County’s urban areas: Wheaton, Silver Spring, Gaithersburg, Germantown
Prince George’s County: northern Prince George’s county (Langley Park, Hyattsville, Adelphi, Riverdale College Park, Greenbelt, Laurel, and the surrounding areas have large Central American And Mexican). There also large populations of Latinos in central PG county: Lanham, New Carallton, and Landover as well as in southern PG I’m Oxon Hill and surrounding areas.

Old 01-13-2022, 04:49 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
The difference between the Latino populations in the NE and Chicago vs the DC area, is that in the DC area, they are much more recent immigrants. You will find a much larger percentage of Latinos in the DC area who don’t speak English or speak very little. The Latino populations in the NE and Chicago have been around for much longer, are much more integrated into the city histories (with historic neighborhood enclaves) Some of the most loyal fan bases for decades of the White Sox and Bears are Latinos. Pilsen, Little Village, Humbolt Park, etc are neighborhoods with decades of Latino culture and history. Same is true in NYC, Boston, and Philly.

In the DC area (I’m from there), you will find Latinos in the suburbs, but they are less visible in a sense. Again, many are newer immigrants and stick with one another in many of the garden style residential areas and there are lots of strip malls with ethic shopping areas. It is a lot different vibe than you will find in the NE and Chicago though.

Old 01-13-2022, 05:07 PM

810 posts, read 2,162,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
In 2020 there’s a huge pocket in Southeast Baltimore City. Dramatic change
Park Heights and/or another part of NW Balt too?

Last edited by vivo; 01-13-2022 at 05:25 PM..

Old 01-13-2022, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
Park Heights and/or another part of NW Balt too?
Virtually no Latinos there

Old 01-13-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
The difference between the Latino populations in the NE and Chicago vs the DC area, is that in the DC area, they are much more recent immigrants. You will find a much larger percentage of Latinos in the DC area who don’t speak English or speak very little. The Latino populations in the NE and Chicago have been around for much longer, are much more integrated into the city histories (with historic neighborhood enclaves) Some of the most loyal fan bases for decades of the White Sox and Bears are Latinos. Pilsen, Little Village, Humbolt Park, etc are neighborhoods with decades of Latino culture and history. Same is true in NYC, Boston, and Philly.

In the DC area (I’m from there), you will find Latinos in the suburbs, but they are less visible in a sense. Again, many are newer immigrants and stick with one another in many of the garden style residential areas and there are lots of strip malls with ethic shopping areas. It is a lot different vibe than you will find in the NE and Chicago though.
Yep

Old 01-13-2022, 10:51 PM

32 posts, read 21,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post

I just saw that DC had around 40-50% increase from 2010-2019 according to PEW research.
That begs the question of why? What is making immigrants move there? Is there a pull factor of some sort? Is the city incentivizing in some fashion? I know you don't have the answers to all of these but it makes me wonder.

That is an interesting point you bring up about the other cities that I haven't given much thought to. I am a 1st gen immigrant so I feel like I would fit in very nicely with those struggling to settle down which makes DC an even more interesting fit. This thread has really impacted my view of where to do residency.

At first my list looked something like
1. NYC
2. Boston
3. Philly
4. Pittsburgh
5. Denver (I know its not NE)

But now its shaping out to be
1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. DC
4. Boston
5. Union City, NJ

Old 01-14-2022, 06:51 PM

108 posts, read 87,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPRCubaSpain View Post
Southern New England is really Hispanic, especially Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, with smaller numbers of Mexicans, Colombians, Guatemalans, Salvadorans. And also many Portuguese speaking Brazilians and Cape Verdeans. SW Connecticut (close to NYC) and the Boston area are the most diverse among Hispanic and black communities.
You're off-topic there, Brazilians and Cape Verdeans aren't hispanic. Those latter aren't even Latinos.

Old 01-16-2022, 03:44 PM

111 posts, read 68,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paypeeto69 View Post
You're off-topic there, Brazilians and Cape Verdeans aren't hispanic. Those latter aren't even Latinos.
True, but both are Portuguese speaking which is similar to Spanish, the cultures are similar to that of Latin American countries because they have Spanish and Portuguese as the base culture which is similar by default, with African and/or indigenous influences. Brazilian Americans are predominantly white especially in the northeast, can resemble white Cuban Americans. Cape Verdeans are mainly mixed mulattos similar to the Dominicans and Puerto Ricans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.