Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 06:08 PM

12,194 posts, read 8,076,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPRCubaSpain View Post
True, but both are Portuguese speaking which is similar to Spanish, the cultures are similar to that of Latin American countries because they have Spanish and Portuguese as the base culture which is similar by default, with African and/or indigenous influences. Brazilian Americans are predominantly white especially in the northeast, can resemble white Cuban Americans. Cape Verdeans are mainly mixed mulattos similar to the Dominicans and Puerto Ricans.
I agree with your point. Technically, they arent. But a lot will identify or assimilate in with Latino culture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2022, 09:35 AM

21,727 posts, read 12,866,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I agree with your point. Technically, they arent. But a lot will identify or assimilate in with Latino culture
Maybe it’s true I don’t know many Brazilians. But Cape Verdeans really don’t and should be excluded from this. They’re African immigrants who speak a Portuguese/West African Kriola who’ve been in Southern New England for 150 years-+ they share as much with Black Americans as they do Dominicans. The few famous Cape Verdeans that do exist usually go out as Black Americans, not Latinos..

(Boo Boo Andrade, Left Eye, Amber Rose, Pooch Hall, Blu Cantrell, Tavares, Horace Silver, Michael Beach, Benzino, Ryan Gomes). I have Cape Verdean extended family, they’re pretty thoroughly assimilated in Black American (Bostonian) culture.

Old 01-17-2022, 10:50 PM

3,557 posts, read 2,352,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The map seems to go to the 2010 numbers by default, which I didn't realize. Click forward to the 2020 numbers and zoom in. There is now a cluster of Latino neighborhoods on the east side of Baltimore.
Baltimore doubled its Latino population in the last ~10 years. City currently has ~34k and growing

Old 01-18-2022, 11:23 AM

2,754 posts, read 2,432,149 times
Yeah absent certain cultural similarities, Cabo Verdeans aren't Latinos by any stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.