Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 06:04 PM

111 posts, read 68,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
There is no doubt Boston is more Haitian per capita than NYC. Especially if you simply look at its black population.

Boston is the most Haitian major city after Miami and it could be ahead of Miami proper.

Worcester MA is the most Ghanaian city in the country and Brockton so the most Caope Verdean city in the country. Lawrence MA is the most Dominican municipality in the country.

But Boston has an abundance of Jamaican Trinidadians and Bajans as well. And a sizable Nigerian population, the Nigerian Society of New England is in Hyde Park right next to the library, many Nigerians from MA in large pet due to the colleges and hospitals. Objectively there more West Africans in the Boston area than in Miami…

So while the raw numbers don’t compare to NYC or Miami it’s as good as you’ll get along with DC Houston Which are more African or Atlanta which has more Anglo-Carribean (namely Jamaicans).

To the last poster I’ve lived in Baltimore and it doesn’t really compare to Boston at all. There are some Trinidadians and Jamaican in Park Heights but they’re presence is minimal. West Africans live i the suburbs but it doesn’t “feel” like more than Boston IMO. Baltimore is very Black American to the point it drowns out those other groups in a major way. I felt more of an international presence in DC.
Your forgot to mention Puerto Ricans, Boston area has many. If you mention Dominicans when talking about African/West Indian presence, you have to mention the Boricuas too. Dominicans and Ricans are both Caribbean HISPANIC, and more similar to each other than Dominicans are to Jamaican, Haitian, Nigerian etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2022, 06:27 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,422,723 times
Central Florida/Tampa Bay area
NJ
Southern New England
Atlanta area
Maryland (DC and Baltimore suburbs mostly )

These above places have the large African immigrant and Caribbean American populations after NYC and South Florida

Chicago
Houston
Dallas
Minneapolis
Los Angeles
Columbus OH
Seattle
Northern Virginia / Hampton Roads area

These places have large African immigrant populations and some Caribbean folks. Not sure if I missed any cities. Other metros in the US’s black populations outside of these are heavily multigenerational African American

Old 01-01-2022, 07:15 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Houston is one of the top West African spots in the nation and a growing Caribbean population.

Old 01-01-2022, 07:37 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
FWIW, Connecticut is the most Puerto Rican State by a LOT at 10.2% as of 2020.

Old 01-02-2022, 08:54 AM

154 posts, read 116,323 times
Surprisingly good Trini roti shops in DC/MD.

Old 01-02-2022, 09:05 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
FWIW, Connecticut is the most Puerto Rican State by a LOT at 10.2% as of 2020.
Where you get this number? I haven’t found any ancestry data for 2020

Old 01-02-2022, 09:12 AM

2,751 posts, read 2,422,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ycomoque View Post
Surprisingly good Trini roti shops in DC/MD.
There’s quite a lot of Trinis in Maryland, mostly in Prince George’s, Montgomery and Baltimore counties). I think after the traditional spots (NY (specifically Brooklyn) / NJ/FL), Maryland has the most Trinis. Any soca event you go to will be dominated by them.

Old 01-02-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Where you get this number? I haven’t found any ancestry data for 2020
Puerto Rican Americans 2019, divided by the states overall population.

In 2010 it was 9%

Old 01-16-2022, 04:42 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,402,316 times
Generally every northeastern city outside of NY has a large noticeable cAribbean population. Someone brought up Houston it’s true but I can’t even compare Houston to the Northeast at all.

Old 01-16-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Generally every northeastern city outside of NY has a large noticeable cAribbean population. Someone brought up Houston it’s true but I can’t even compare Houston to the Northeast at all.
Ny state does too…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.