Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 07:11 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,740,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
It is so much more pleasant to travel miles through green trees than the miles of treeless and dusty scrubland, prairies, industrial farms, and brown hills that cover much of the land west of the Mississippi. Despite some states having a reputation of beauty, it doesn't apply everywhere, as there is a lot of barren and ugly landscape when driving in "the west" through places like eastern Colorado and eastern Oregon.
I get this sentiment, but having lived in OR, CO, CA, and WI - for me my three favorite places have been western states. WI is covered in trees but like another poster stated, half the year it's brown and ugly.

I get that half of CO is pretty much Kansas, but this state has such a varied landscape that it keeps things interesting.

Nothing truly beats the beauty of the PNW. Green pretty much year round and I prefer their type of "green" and "woods". The con is constant moisture you can see/feel in the ground, structures, etc. It's just seemingly always around even if it isn't drizzling.

But can't beat picturesque settings of Portland, Seattle, Vancouver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2022, 10:27 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,320,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
The seasons keep the trees from getting too boring. It would be a drag if they didn't drastically change their appearance every 3 months or so.
Yes, I agree. And this is why I dislike the Southern California climate so much: it’s so boring and pedestrian that it results in the seasons sort of blending into each other, with the predominant season pretty much being some variation of summer: summer, still summer, summer-lite, and sort-of-summer. Boring and dull, in my opinion. Plus, the dry climate results in a rather barren and scrubby landscape for the most part, so there’s not a whole lot of trees and forests anywhere to add some visual
spice to the landscape (naturally occurring trees, mind you and not the artificial and/or non-native transplant trees). It’s mostly freeways, strip malls, housing developments, and just an overall built environment. Not much left in the way of nature and open land.

But plenty of people choose to live there, so who am I to judge!?!?

Old 09-15-2022, 11:56 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,989,513 times
I love the trees and couldn't imagine living in a place that didn't have an abundance of trees. I have never seen the appeal of the west (except for PNW). Everything is dirt and rock! Not very colorful or attractive. Plus I am a bit agoraphobic and can't stand the wide open spaces. I find being amongst trees to be my most physically and emotional state.

Old 09-15-2022, 12:23 PM

17,816 posts, read 13,719,426 times
Home base has always been OKC area for me.

When I lived in Arizona I would come back to OKC/Norman/Edmond and it seemed really green. Big beautiful trees.

Then, when I lived in Florida/Mississippi/Oregon it seemed completely different when I would come back here.

But while OK seemed less green that wasn't the thing that amazed me. It seemed like the trees were the size of shrubs in the other places I was living. Trees that I remember being tall and stately were kind of short and stumpy.

Now that I've been back here in OK it all seems normal again. But coming in from the desert vs the forest presented two completely different perceptions.

Old 09-15-2022, 11:09 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,610,361 times
A lot of the eastern forest is plantation monoculture, pretty nearly lifeless. Early settlers cut virtually every tree on level ground, to grow cotton. When a century of that left the soil inert, they sold out to pulp/paper. Nice straight rows of monotonous pines, silent of any other forms of life.

For a little positive PR, they left a strip next to the highway as pretty trees. But 100 yards back, it's a clear-cut eyesore. Mixed, vibrant, healthy forest is mostly on the hillsides. Even "National Forest" is taxpayer-owned leased for pennies to paper corporations to exploit.

Old 09-16-2022, 12:54 AM

16,106 posts, read 10,771,225 times
I've lived in both situations and prefer the west. The eastern and midwestern forests are like a jungle. I liked it until I knew better and experienced the open forests and far horizons in the west.

My perceptions over 65 years in the midwest is that fewer people are actually going into the eastern forests now compared to the 1970-80 years. Part of that is related to the aging of the Boomers who were more experienced and comfortable in the woods and had organized camping and hiking groups when young. We lived in the suburbs and played in the nearby woods. It was normal. It seems less common now.

Old 09-16-2022, 03:22 AM

25,592 posts, read 17,318,658 times
We lived in West Texas for a while. West Texas, where, on Monday you can see Wednesday's weather coming; where it is so flat you could stand on a tuna can, look North, and see the back of your head.

We live in the woods, now, where animal life gets right into your lap and the sounds of life never stop. The only time it is truly still is when it snows, and those times are rare, for us. Even then it is only still, not silent. Silence is hard to find.

I have visited 49 states - all except Alaska. There is something I love about every one of them.

Old 09-16-2022, 06:42 PM

151 posts, read 88,293 times
I can appreciate heavy tree coverage but I like how the West has the best of both Worlds. I currently live on the Eastern plains of Colorado but when I need to I can just drive 15 minutes and be in a heavily wooded area. In the East you’re just stuck with the same type of scenery.

Old 09-16-2022, 07:29 PM

4,436 posts, read 6,311,493 times
I did not like that when I lived in Georgia. It made me feel claustrophobic.

Old 09-17-2022, 07:23 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,455,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierlifter View Post
I think maybe alot people out west don't realize how many trees there are on the east coast. Driving up and down 95, save for the near the Northeastern big cities or South Florida is just a tunnel of trees. I like trees but in all the states out east the view is just endless trees. Anybody else just sort of burnt out from that view? I know some people that need to be near/in forests how about you?

You go west and it's so much more visual, you can see actually see out on some really cool terrain. That's kind of what I like personally.
I disagree. I love trees. I am basically a tree hugger. A big selling point for my rowhome in Philadelphia is that it is on a rare block with a whole little forest across the street. Within the next decade, I am moving farther north to live amongst the northern hardwoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.