Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 10:16 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,608,534 times

Advertisements

All of Oklahoma, you can watch for the common Scissor-tailed Fycatcher on fences and wires --- America's most beautiful and elegant bird. Or wild flowers. Learn something about natural history and nothing is boring. I have a farmer friend who goes on road trips tasting the soil in cornfields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 08:23 AM

3,456 posts, read 3,384,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Most boring tiresome or uninterestimg section of highway that is not freeway or limited access.

An example would be US-2 across Upper Michigan,
Strong disagree, on US Hwy 2 in Michigan's UP. I once traveled on it, and for sure I'd say it's pretty nice to be honest. Plus it travels for a lot of it's more easterly route in the UP, not too far away from the south Lake Superior shoreline. Munising actually is a nice smaller town to stop in, and also you aren't too far away from Tahquamenon(sp?) Falls State Park. I can only guess whoever said that one likely hasn't traveled on that part of US 2, nor have they google street viewed it.

I'd instead offer you some roads in the Midwest, that aren't far from flat farmland. Such as on a lot of them, outside of the cities of Bloomington and Normal in Illinois. Don't forget much of northern Indiana north of Indianapolis, is boring in the rural areas.

I'll also mention a highway several states west of there, and coincidentally is a different part of US Hwy 2: the segment of US Hwy 2 running through North Dakota, east of Williston. It isn't as bad west of Williston, since you do occasionally see mountains in the distance. West of Williston, US Hwy 2 is nicknamed 'the high line'. I essentially saw this part of the country myself, thanks to riding the Amtrak Empire Builder train which parallels this highway. I don't mind highway 2 west of Williston, to be honest. But that said if you find US Hwy 93 north of Las Vegas to be boring, you might find that part of highway 2 to be boring. I guess it's myself hating seeing flat farmland even more from past Midwest travels, is why I wouldn't 100% hate the occasional mountains in the distance that you see from US 93 in Nevada, or US 2 in Montana.

Old 01-14-2022, 11:03 AM

16,097 posts, read 10,766,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Learn something about natural history and nothing is boring.
Absolutely correct. That and American history.
I laugh at Kansas as a boring drive, but I have enjoyed following the route of the Santa Fe Trail across Kansas and stopping at some historic places or landmarks. The wagon ruts are still there from 170 years ago.

Old 01-14-2022, 11:37 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,647,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I've driven through Kansas west of Wichita, so I wouldn't be surprised if western Kansas highways equal or surpasses northwest Oklahoma for boredom. There is nothing like the Glass Mountains there.
My only experience with western Kansas is on I-70, which of course is beyond the scope of this particular thread. My take on it is that the eastern portion isn't too bad, because at least there are some hills and other variations in topography. The really boring part starts west of Salina. Then it's just flat and dull.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:12 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,608,534 times
I find it tiresome to drive through depleted cotton lands, all scub, but every mile there is a spacious house and a lawn jockey, and a parked Kubota and every dirt road junction with a Pik-a-pak store and a Nazarene tabrnacle. The same pattern repeating itsell from Shreveport to Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.