Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 08:19 PM

6 posts, read 8,126 times

Advertisements

I moved to South Carolina 15 years ago from Kansas City and now I wanna move again and start over with a new experience. What are some places to look at?
  • Lots of sun and lots of snow
  • Summer temperatures cool enough at night to where you don't need A/C to sleep
  • A small town with all the basic amenities
  • Good amount of trucking jobs
  • Very conservative and traditional
  • As little light pollution as possible
  • Western feel
  • No skeeters
  • Near a lake
  • Cheap

I'm currently looking at some towns in Ogallala, NE and Scottsbluff, NE.

Last edited by Crazy ass; 01-21-2022 at 08:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 08:45 PM

89 posts, read 154,771 times
Baldwinsville, NY hands down...

Old 01-21-2022, 09:11 PM

93,742 posts, read 124,459,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpat5 View Post
Baldwinsville, NY hands down...
Interesting…Are you referring to the village NW of Syracuse? It fits some of the things, but it doesn’t have a Western feel, may not have enough sun, etc.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:16 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,627,131 times
Lakes region New Hampshire

Old 01-22-2022, 06:38 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,967,407 times
Sandpoint, ID
Heyburn, ID
Moses Lake, WA
Fallon, NV
Trinidad, CO
St. George, UT (If you don't mind it being a little larger)

Old 01-22-2022, 07:39 AM

6 posts, read 8,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Sandpoint, ID
Heyburn, ID
Moses Lake, WA
Fallon, NV
Trinidad, CO
St. George, UT (If you don't mind it being a little larger)
Those are all too expensive and/or a desert.

Old 01-22-2022, 09:51 PM

994 posts, read 972,711 times
Lots of Sun and Lots of Snow? High elevation towns in the south west ( CO, AZ , NM, SoCal, Vegas) Cheap? Dont know about that one. What do you consider cheap? You mentioned trucking jobs with lots of snow , I couldnt imagine driving a semi in the snow all winter.

Old 01-23-2022, 06:17 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,070,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy ass View Post
I moved to South Carolina 15 years ago from Kansas City and now I wanna move again and start over with a new experience. What are some places to look at?
  • Western feel
  • No skeeters
  • Near a lake
  • Cheap

Those two are pretty solid choices given your criteria.

Ely, Nevada.....but no lake. Otherwise, it has everything on your list.

Old 01-23-2022, 06:31 PM

10 posts, read 6,177 times
Quote:
  • Western feel
  • No skeeters
  • Near a lake
  • Cheap

Northern Idaho is where my parents moved from California in 2018 and they really like it. I really like it too and could see myself there one day as well. Coeur d’Alene is large enough to not be the middle of nowhere but still small enough that it doesn’t have city problems, but you’re still close to Spokane if you need the resources of a larger city, interstate 90 goes from Seattle to Boston and cuts right through the area so I’m sure that there’s trucking jobs, and I can vouch for the Western feel and low light pollution since my mom is really into horses and my dad is into astrophotography and opportunities for both are in abundance there. I’m in Texas and there are lots of places which tick most of your boxes but there are lots of mosquitoes here and even in North Texas winter weather is more violent ice storms than beautiful snow days.

Old 01-26-2022, 11:27 AM

8,611 posts, read 14,927,890 times
Quote:
  • Western feel
  • No skeeters
  • Near a lake
  • Cheap

Have you ever actually been to either of those towns?

There's not a whole lot to Ogallala. I'd imagine that 99.999999% of the people who pass by on I-80 have never actually ventured north on US-26 into town. Front Street is a kitschy little strip mall with an Old West façade, Boot Hill Cemetery is good for a quick visit, and Lake McConaughy is nearby. Other than that, you have to go to North Platte for a lot of things (and it's in a different time zone).

Scottsbluff is pretty, but isolated.

I'd look at Sterling, Brush, or Fort Morgan, CO. Sterling is 2 hours from Denver, and Fort Morgan and Brush are about 90 mins from Denver. All three are conservative, similar in feel to the cities you've mentioned, and close to lakes (North Sterling State Park and Jackson Lake State Park). There's a meatpacking plant in Fort Morgan, and there's an ethanol refinery in Sterling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.