Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 10:42 AM

16,075 posts, read 10,732,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

I often joke that "after corn and wheat, the Midwest's third greatest export is Midwesterners."
I'm one -- who never looked back. It seems that you don't realize how bad a place is if you are steeped in it and get numb to the negatives. You fall for the "God's Country" foolishness or think every place is like this. Every place is not like that, but you don't realize it until you get away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 11:09 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,782,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
San Luis Obispo.
Might be too expensive though. I would imagine a lot of people leave that area not because they want to but because they can’t afford it.

But if you have enough money - there are few places better than Coastal California.

Old 01-25-2022, 12:08 PM

133 posts, read 95,391 times
South Florida. Between its sexy nightlife, its beautiful warm beaches, its massive theme parks and its many unique outdoor activities, Florida has become quite the all ages state. No other state has that sort of unique combination of great things.

Being on the East Coast is easily the best too. Add in the late nights Florida is known for and the great year-round weather and it's pretty much a sexy fun party 24/7 365 till forever.

Old 01-25-2022, 01:14 PM

12,891 posts, read 18,744,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazbrah View Post
I agree with your sentiment. Although I actually used to sometimes look down on the people in my hometown who were so content and never wanted to leave. I was so desperate to leave and did. Then when I did leave every time I came home my little hometown grew on me more and more. Although I would never settle back down, exploring other cities made me realize just how much my hometown shaped me and how familiar it is. Then I finally understood why some people don't ever want to leave
Nailed it. I was born and raised in South Carolina. When I was 20 I went to NYC by myself for six weeks. Then I went to DC by myself and stayed until age 25. Then I was called home by a yearning.

I was shaped by my upbringing mainly in a town of 700 up until adulthood. Since DC I have lived only in two of SC’s largest cities. Either of them to me fit fine in the question posed in the thread’s title. But I also think of my town and the countryside where my relatives live in the same light when thinking of this topic.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:04 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,440,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I'm one -- who never looked back. It seems that you don't realize how bad a place is if you are steeped in it and get numb to the negatives. You fall for the "God's Country" foolishness or think every place is like this. Every place is not like that, but you don't realize it until you get away.
Are you saying that only Midwesterners are numb to the negatives?

Old 01-25-2022, 08:45 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,596,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
South Carolina here, fifth-fastest growing state last year per the Census Bureau, but if not for transplants we would have stagnated. That’s pretty much the choice all states have now: welcome newcomers or stagnate or maybe even shrink. And there’s a mindset among many native South Carolinians that shrinking would be fine if it meant an end to newcomers “coming down here and messing everything up.” That’s them talking, not me.
If you think Stagnation is a bad thing, let me draw your attention to this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/reti...-mohicans.html

There is a large and rapidly growing demographic of Americans saying No Thanks to senseless progress in the name of profit, earbuds as a fashion mandate.

Maybe it's time for a StagNation, where retirees are not left behind.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
If you think Stagnation is a bad thing, let me draw your attention to this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/reti...-mohicans.html

There is a large and rapidly growing demographic of Americans saying No Thanks to senseless progress in the name of profit, earbuds as a fashion mandate.

Maybe it's time for a StagNation, where retirees are not left behind.
I’m 63, and compared to the people described in that thread I’m keeping up fine. I like newcomers, too. It’s about attitude, flexibility and a willingness to keep learning.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:22 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,889,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Might be too expensive though. I would imagine a lot of people leave that area not because they want to but because they can’t afford it.

But if you have enough money - there are few places better than Coastal California.
Expensive to be sure and especially so with the dearth of high paying job fields available- University, Hospitality, Viticulture only goes so far but yes, the central coast region around San Luis Obisbo is darn near nirvana.

Having grown up in both the Bay Area (in Silicon Valley before it was so) the Valley and the Foothills of the Mother Lode with frequent trips to San Luis during the ‘60s - ‘70s - California’s golden years. I reveled in a Wonder Years existence and was able to take advantage of good, cheap education but too much has changed for most of the state to label it ideal today.

Landing in San Diego young and decades ago was a mighty auspicious move and now, well settled, it seems to yet retain most of its best qualities so I have no plans on leaving with retirement right on the horizon but I’m glad I grew up North when it was its best.

Last edited by T. Damon; 01-30-2022 at 09:50 PM..

Old 01-31-2022, 06:37 AM

Boston. Born with a snow shovel in your hand. How cool would that be? Never leave. Never think about leaving. It’s home and that’s just the way it is. No need to roam.

Old 01-31-2022, 07:01 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
Home is such a huge draw. Family and familiarity are very powerful.

We left the Chicago suburbs (where I spent my whole life except for college) to live in AZ. There were some things that were better there, but it wasn't enough to say that I'm never going back. We ended up going back for job reasons, and I'm glad we did. Our life ended up being way better than it would have been in AZ, for several reasons.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and it's really dumb to say someone is wrong when they want to stay or go back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.