Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 04:05 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about older people who refuse to come into the 21st century, refuse to go online, and refuse to own a Smartphone, refuse to text or learn how to, and are happy, happy without it!

I have one living with me. 66YO, never has been online, has never owned a Smartphone (in fact, he doesn't even own a phone anymore, he uses mine 2X a month) would think you're speaking another language if you spoke of streaming, Skype or Facebook. And he's happy, happy living in the 20th century.

Myself, I've got one arm around the 20th century, one arm around the 21st century. Well, make that 3 fingers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 04:58 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
I use my computer for most things like banking, shopping, and email. My phone is for talking to people. I don't text and know few who do. I do message people through Facebook.

Old 01-21-2022, 05:06 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,548,500 times
Luddite; noun
Ludd·​ite | \ ˈlə-ˌdīt \
Definition of Luddite
: one of a group of early 19th century English workmen destroying laborsaving machinery as a protest
broadly : one who is opposed to especially technological change
The Luddite argued that automation destroys jobs.

Old 01-21-2022, 06:00 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,049,216 times
That would have described my parents. My dad died in 2014, mom in 2020. Dad used to talk about the evils of the internet, but when he needed some information, he would ask me to look it up. I would also print out tax forms for him as paper forms were no longer readily available without going online.

I had to deal with this when I worked at the library, explaining to patrons that the 1040A and 1040EZ forms no longer existed.

Old 01-21-2022, 06:06 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
Yes I know few like that. Actually one of them is a younger man in his 30's, but the difference is, he was 'connected' and chose to untether himself from technology. He's not poor and does not live in a city, in fact he lives on acreage... lots of acreage. Good guy, likeable and smart.

Old 01-21-2022, 06:14 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Mother uses the open-ear-policy successfully. She complains, takes notes on how to do very basics and then complains as nobody shows her how do use phone/laptop. When she wants to she can skype like a wiz.

I close my office and the Apple Store stays there

Old 01-21-2022, 07:51 AM

5,882 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
My phone is for talking to people.
I have to laugh when I watch people spending 10 minutes texting back and forth, when they could have made a 30-second phone call to do the same thing.

Old 01-21-2022, 07:58 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
My phone is for my convenience.

Old 01-21-2022, 08:17 AM

11,111 posts, read 9,753,246 times
My deceased (2-3 years ago) MIL was an anti-tech person. She retired from her teaching job because they were going to require everyone to learn to use a computer. She just took her pension and retired. No computers or smart phones, would never even get a debit card. Her friends told her that debit cards made you become overdrawn too easily, so she wrote checks for everything, no matter how we tried to teach her about them. We convinced her to get a cell phone (Jitterbug of course) in case she was out and got lost, or needed to call us or AAA in an emergency.

My FIL took care of everything for her, paying the bills, filling the gas tank, handling the insurance and investments, etc. When he passed away she was helpless and 80+. We moved her near to us, taught her how to get gas herself, and we took over and put all the bills on auto-pay. I remember when she stayed at our house once and she couldn't figure out the washing machine's digital display. We got a frantic call while we were out and had to walk her through the process step by step because there were "too many buttons to press". On the micro, she would just push the one minute button as many times as necessary to get the time she wanted.

I think at some point people get tired of learning new skills, especially if they can make do with the old technology, or they just can't see, or don't need, the advantages of the new tech. I didn't get a microwave for my own home until sometime in the late 80s. I prefer to cook on the stovetop, so I just didn't buy one. Eventually I bought a home with a built-in micro.

Old 01-21-2022, 08:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
15+% of USA does not even have internet or cell service.

I've been to many quite remote international locations that are well served by connectivity. (Thanks to USA companies eager to reap more customers, and often funded by USA foreign aid, sometimes used for purposes that will be contrary to USA benefit and safety). Yet, plenty in USA cannot afford or may not have access to non-Mohican technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement