Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which states has the most aggressive drivers?
Maine 0 0%
Massachusetts 17 23.29%
Rhode Island 2 2.74%
New York 12 16.44%
New Jersey 0 0%
Pennsylvania 1 1.37%
Virginia 1 1.37%
North Carolina 1 1.37%
Georgia 4 5.48%
Florida 12 16.44%
Illinois 2 2.74%
Connecticut 1 1.37%
Texas 8 10.96%
California 8 10.96%
Arizona 0 0%
Other 4 5.48%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 10:53 AM

12,196 posts, read 8,095,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
This is purely anecdotal. You already said this happens everywhere.
You literally say this about every thread lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 12:39 PM

16,511 posts, read 26,378,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
You literally say this about every thread lol
Yeah when dozens of people use anecdotal evidence to try and manufactuer the idea that they swear the drivers are worse in their town or that people in this particular part of the world are more friendly than another part of the world. The vast majority of these opinions are formed in ways that another person will or may not ever experience.
If one person commutes suburb to suburb for work, they may have a completely different view on traffic than someone who is down the street from work, those experiences can also differ by personality and how they perceive interactions while in traffic. I've never heard of a city where its population thinks that drivers are good or traffic is great
Everyone complains.
You can measure things like density, population, access to recreational activities, access to particular industries, etc. You cannot measure something as arbitrary as "whos meaner in traffic." Traffic accidents aren't a direct correlation, neither are tickets or deaths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
So like I said in the post, yes things happen everywhere but some areas do certain driving behaviors more than others... And some areas do have more skilled drivers than other areas.
Source? Do DMVs in other states have more rigorous tests or is it still a drive around the block?

Old 02-04-2022, 07:10 AM

4,753 posts, read 2,991,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Yeah when dozens of people use anecdotal evidence to try and manufactuer the idea that they swear the drivers are worse in their town or that people in this particular part of the world are more friendly than another part of the world. The vast majority of these opinions are formed in ways that another person will or may not ever experience.
If one person commutes suburb to suburb for work, they may have a completely different view on traffic than someone who is down the street from work, those experiences can also differ by personality and how they perceive interactions while in traffic. I've never heard of a city where its population thinks that drivers are good or traffic is great
Everyone complains.
You can measure things like density, population, access to recreational activities, access to particular industries, etc. You cannot measure something as arbitrary as "whos meaner in traffic." Traffic accidents aren't a direct correlation, neither are tickets or deaths.

Source? Do DMVs in other states have more rigorous tests or is it still a drive around the block?
It's driving tests, terrain, density, road design, laws, collective IQ, and car culture history. And for me personally multiple trips cross country more than I can count. You notice differences when entering certain regions.

Many people might say the drivers in their city are bad, but if they've lived in other places and you asked them to rank I bet there would be differences. I know there are for me.

You talk about traffic interactions based on where folks live/commute but even on things like the street you see differences. In small towns in the south I've seen more pedestrians cut off while crossing or drivers not yielding to them than I do on the west coast. That doesnt mean it doesnt happen on the west coast but less often, even in the small towns. Why? West coast drivers are more used to pedestrians. In the south I've had people lay on the horn when I didnt move, but thats never happened to me anywhere else while letting a pedestrian cross.

Or things like lane splitting. Legal in CA so drivers in the left lane especially always look out for it and leave gaps. If a motorcycle driver tried that same thing in Georgia they might get run over because drivers aren't taught to look out for that. When I'm in other states where that is not legal I still drive like that because I'm used to it. Sometimes motorcycles actually go through.

Last edited by DabOnEm; 02-04-2022 at 07:23 AM..

Old 02-04-2022, 10:47 AM

12,905 posts, read 9,640,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
It's driving tests, terrain, density, road design, laws, collective IQ, and car culture history. And for me personally multiple trips cross country more than I can count. You notice differences when entering certain regions.

Many people might say the drivers in their city are bad, but if they've lived in other places and you asked them to rank I bet there would be differences. I know there are for me.

You talk about traffic interactions based on where folks live/commute but even on things like the street you see differences. In small towns in the south I've seen more pedestrians cut off while crossing or drivers not yielding to them than I do on the west coast. That doesnt mean it doesnt happen on the west coast but less often, even in the small towns. Why? West coast drivers are more used to pedestrians. In the south I've had people lay on the horn when I didnt move, but thats never happened to me anywhere else while letting a pedestrian cross.

Or things like lane splitting. Legal in CA so drivers in the left lane especially always look out for it and leave gaps. If a motorcycle driver tried that same thing in Georgia they might get run over because drivers aren't taught to look out for that. When I'm in other states where that is not legal I still drive like that because I'm used to it. Sometimes motorcycles actually go through.
I've noticed that. Motorcyclists in California have free reign.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:55 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,906,667 times
Definitely Maryland, specifically in the DC area. Not only the most aggressive drivers, but also the worst drivers I've encountered.

An odd mixture of really slow drivers and really reckless and aggressive drivers. You try to pass the slow ones, but have to do so at your own peril because you may get hit by the crazy and aggressive ones!

Old 02-04-2022, 02:30 PM

45,556 posts, read 60,809,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Definitely Maryland, specifically in the DC area. Not only the most aggressive drivers, but also the worst drivers I've encountered.

An odd mixture of really slow drivers and really reckless and aggressive drivers. You try to pass the slow ones, but have to do so at your own peril because you may get hit by the crazy and aggressive ones!
Have you ever noticed how, when you signal a lane change here, that whoever is behind you in the lane you're moving to punches it so you don't get in front of him? It doesn't matter how far behind you he is.

Old 02-04-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Have you ever noticed how, when you signal a lane change here, that whoever is behind you in the lane you're moving to punches it so you don't get in front of him? It doesn't matter how far behind you he is.
That happens almost everywhere. The one I hate is when the person right behind you wants to change lanes as well and will haul arse to make sure you don't.

Old 02-04-2022, 03:37 PM

2,239 posts, read 1,418,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith32 View Post
I voted Texas but honestly Oklahoma drivers are not much different. People either driving 10-15 over or under the speed limit on the freeways, turn signals are a luxury, lane weaving and last second cutting across multiple lanes to take an off ramp or turn lane they've nearly missed are routine for the unskilled and impatient drivers here. I've witnessed people cutting across medians or even jumping curbs to get around traffic or to access a lot they otherwise legally couldn't just because it was convenient. Drivers here in the southern plains display an often horrific lack of self or spacial awareness.
I find drivers in Houston to be absolutely insane, but I don't really notice it elsewhere in Texas. Ofc there are some individual d-bags anywhere. In Austin the worst thing is some people that are ridiculously bashful. You get a strange mix of driving styles here due to all of the transplants, and especially those from other countries.

If Houston was a state I'd pick it. Beyond that I haven't driven in enough places to say.

Old 02-04-2022, 03:51 PM

45,556 posts, read 60,809,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
That happens almost everywhere. The one I hate is when the person right behind you wants to change lanes as well and will haul arse to make sure you don't.
Yeah, those guys, too. Moves over as soon as you hit your signal and punches it, but often does pass you. Just stays right on your rear fender by a couple feet forward so you can't change.

Old 02-04-2022, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, those guys, too. Moves over as soon as you hit your signal and punches it, but often does pass you. Just stays right on your rear fender by a couple feet forward so you can't change.
Yep and there have been times I've safely let my foot off the gas so they can pass. Believe it or not people, it's not a race and it's not personal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.