Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 11:52 AM

1,260 posts, read 945,840 times

Advertisements

As we know the vespa type scooters are used in a lot of countries as a significant form transportation, but in places like the US and Canada they are not.

However, after having lived in South Beach, I can concur that Miami (moreso Miami Beach) the use of vespas/scooters as a main mode of transportation is pretty significant.

What are other American cities where you see them being used significantly? Is NYC one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 12:30 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
According to Bloomberg, the six largest scooter markets, Atlanta, Austin, Dallas, Los Angeles, San Diego and Washington, D.C.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...nd-what-s-next

Old 03-03-2022, 01:03 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
According to Bloomberg, the six largest scooter markets, Atlanta, Austin, Dallas, Los Angeles, San Diego and Washington, D.C.

I think that's measuring like lime scooter type scooters and not necessarily Vespa type bikes. Scooters are pretty popular in South philadelphia. The parking authority basically allows people to park them on the sidewalk in front your house which is a pretty big boon in a city with extremely limited parking. There's a store that sells Vespas and other brands 10 or so blocks away from.

Though I would say the biggest change in recent times is the emergence of the e-bike industry. Stores are popping up all over the place.

lime-type scooters are illegal in Philadelphia due to the fact that there is a belief people would throw them all over the place. Obviously many people still own them and there is no actual enforcement. Pittsburgh has them now though in PA.

Old 03-03-2022, 01:08 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Vespas are everywhere in Miami Beach, and like many cyclists their drivers aren't necessarily following the law on the road. I'm all for them, but I'd appreciate some better behavior.

Old 03-03-2022, 01:23 PM

133 posts, read 95,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Vespas are everywhere in Miami Beach, and like many cyclists their drivers aren't necessarily following the law on the road. I'm all for them, but I'd appreciate some better behavior.

Vespas+Bikinis=WW

Old 03-03-2022, 02:10 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,402,733 times
A scooter is the only motor vehicle that I own. They are quite popular here (Austin) but nothing like you see in other countries. It completely makes sense that they would be big in Miami given the demographics and warm weather.

Old 03-03-2022, 09:03 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
The same thing except for drivers too. Because we all know how bad South Florida drivers are.

Old 03-04-2022, 05:43 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The same thing except for drivers too. Because we all know how bad South Florida drivers are.
To a great extent, that's true, but some (well more than just some) Vespa drivers are especially egregious when it comes to breaking the rules of the road. While drivers of all vehicles slide through stop signs, and don't make a full stop on red before turning right, some Vespa drivers often do the following in South Beach:
  • Completely run red lights of all kinds
  • Drive in the bike lanes to get around traffic
  • Ride on sidewalks
  • Drive on the wrong side of the road
  • Go around toll booths to avoid toll by plate

Old 03-04-2022, 06:05 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

I’m not denying the data, only to say if this is referring to Vespa style scooters, I hardly see any in Atlanta. The roads are fairly windy/narrow here

I think they tend to be prominent in college towns

Old 03-04-2022, 06:18 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
Don’t forget about the move that should be patented in Miami: the double right on red with a u turn sandwiched in between which, in essence, is a circuitous and creative way of running a red light and continuing forward. It’s the driver version of the NBA crossover.

Quote:
To a great extent, that's true, but some (well more than just some) Vespa drivers are especially egregious when it comes to breaking the rules of the road. While drivers of all vehicles slide through stop signs, and don't make a full stop on red before turning right, some Vespa drivers often do the following in South Beach:
  • Completely run red lights of all kinds
  • Drive in the bike lanes to get around traffic
  • Ride on sidewalks
  • Drive on the wrong side of the road
  • Go around toll booths to avoid toll by plate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.