Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 08:41 AM

12,239 posts, read 8,160,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
NYCers are actually very friendly. We’re usually just in a rush to get places or catch a train but if you need us, we got you!
I am cringing so hard lol.

I get your point too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 08:46 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,833,429 times
I've found the folks in the Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse areas to be some of the most friendly people in whole country. But a lot simply depends on the person.

Old 03-10-2022, 09:12 AM

17,874 posts, read 16,071,602 times
Philly definitely as long as its not in a sports arena/stadium. They have that midwestern politeness. Pennsylvania is much less insular than NJ, NY, New England.

Old 03-10-2022, 09:12 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,440,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
NYC. I'm not a basic NYC advocate, but I'm changing my thinking on this. I think you can talk to a stranger in NYC and get a friendly response, but a NYer won't talk first to a stranger. It's not just true of NY, but other bigger cities too.
New Yorkers will always lend a hand and help but we also always are rushing to get somewhere & have our guard up.

Friendly bunch otherwise

Old 03-10-2022, 12:38 PM

992 posts, read 743,388 times
Quote:
New Yorkers will always lend a hand and help but we also always are rushing to get somewhere & have our guard up.

Friendly bunch otherwise
In fairness, at least from a Manhattan perspective, if you stop a random person on the street to, say, ask for directions, there's like a 50%+ chance that person you're asking is not actually from NYC. I would say my Manhattan office is probably 60-70% people who grew up somewhere outside of the metro area (and it's not a small office).

That said, I do find NY'ers to be very friendly in general, and don't even think there's a "tough exterior that you need to crack through" which seems to be a thing on this site. They are just normal people, like from anywhere else.

Old 03-10-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
In fairness, at least from a Manhattan perspective, if you stop a random person on the street to, say, ask for directions, there's like a 50%+ chance that person you're asking is not actually from NYC. I would say my Manhattan office is probably 60-70% people who grew up somewhere outside of the metro area (and it's not a small office).

That said, I do find NY'ers to be very friendly in general, and don't even think there's a "tough exterior that you need to crack through" which seems to be a thing on this site. They are just normal people, like from anywhere else.
Yes def. I would say most ppl who live in NYC actually are not originally from there. I grew up on LI, for all intents & purposes, I’m a native NYer but there aren’t many of us anymore. Im one of the few natives in my office as well.

Old 03-11-2022, 12:03 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,645,258 times
Quote:
NYCers are actually very friendly. We’re usually just in a rush to get places or catch a train but if you need us, we got you!
Most of my social exposure is at baseball games. It's always eaast to chat with other fans of the Yankees, Mets, Phils, Red Sox or Orioles. But more closed and standoffish at minor league games in

pawtucket. Auburn. Erie, Altoona, Hagerstown. But based on a small sample size, nice in Pittsfield and Burlington.

Old 03-11-2022, 07:54 AM

9,420 posts, read 9,419,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post

On several occasions people stopped me to ask for directions, and they open with "you walk really fast and with a purpose, so I figured you live here". lol. I've been in NYC for 7 years, which seems like a longtime nowadays. Many of the people I knew that moved here after college have moved to smaller (and cheaper) cities or the suburbs.

Back to the friendliness... I've generally found NYer's to be courteous and accepting, but I noticed nowadays that common courtesy doesn't seem as prevalent... Holding the door, please, thank you, good morning, etc.

It feels like the world has gotten colder and more on edge. This is a general statement, not geared toward any particular city. Maybe that is a sign I'm getting old.

Old 03-11-2022, 08:30 AM

992 posts, read 743,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
On several occasions people stopped me to ask for directions, and they open with "you walk really fast and with a purpose, so I figured you live here". lol. I've been in NYC for 7 years, which seems like a longtime nowadays. Many of the people I knew that moved here after college have moved to smaller (and cheaper) cities or the suburbs.
Yeah, I've been here 10 years now, and similarly walk very fast, almost like a walk-jog hybrid. But, that's generally just because it takes time to walk places when it's the primary mode of transportation, and I'm usually running late for something (either to my office, late to a meeting, or rushing home to relieve my nanny on time).

Contrast that with the tourists, who generally don't have anywhere in particular to be, and the difference can be striking. But it's not that I'm a genetically high-strung person, only that I'm....running late.

Old 03-11-2022, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Back to the friendliness... I've generally found NYer's to be courteous and accepting, but I noticed nowadays that common courtesy doesn't seem as prevalent... Holding the door, please, thank you, good morning, etc.

It feels like the world has gotten colder and more on edge. This is a general statement, not geared toward any particular city. Maybe that is a sign I'm getting old.
A lot of it has to do with covid & ppl not wanting to be in such close proximity to others anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.