Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2022, 09:55 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,385,006 times

Advertisements

https://www.storagecafe.com/blog/us-...enter-magnets/

Old 04-12-2022, 10:24 AM

8,614 posts, read 14,974,285 times
I wouldn't live in DFW (or anywhere along or east of I-35 in Texas) for any amount of money, but if I did I sure as hell wouldn't move to Lewisville. Lived there when I first moved to the Metromess. It's really meh. Nothing special at all.

Old 04-12-2022, 10:49 AM

663 posts, read 310,907 times
Arlington to DC is basically DC. Originally, DC was a full 10-mile square. It lost a section merely back to Virginia.

This move to just these 3-5 story complexes of stick-wood. Add density.... not Urbanity. The must-drive culture can for most ... will be fully intact.

I would not call it favored or preferred to live perhaps NEVER owning a home in a self-enveloped complex that has another and another after another on a feeder-road to expressway.

The OMG FOREVER "HOA" FEES TOO. Owning means little in these block-houses (not concrete or cinderblock constructed). Use to be just having to pay the taxes.... now HOA's or else too.

To me a rise toward smaller cities growing to mid-sized would seem to also be next.

Much depends where Corporate America seeks next for the cheaper land, taxes to incentives offered ...and wages needed to pay out .... being less on average then major cities to metros. Also where Right-to-Work prevents Unionization fears.

Still, not like much of the North can be ignored. Expansions can just mean spreading the luv... sometimes these college towns get the "Hip" label and take off.

Old 04-12-2022, 12:59 PM

13,779 posts, read 15,856,582 times
DC seems to be the only major urban dense city (NYC, Chicago, San Fran, DC, Boston, Philly) still growing at a substantial rate. Some surprises on this list include DC with a 2.4 inbound migration advantage beating out or tying sunbelt and midwest cities:

Dallas = 2.4 inbound migration advantage
Denver = 2.2 inbound migration advantage
Atlanta = 1.8 inbound migration advantage
Orlando = 1.6 inbound migration advantage

Also, having all three cities (DC, Arlington VA, Alexandria VA) that make up the original 100 sq. mile diamond for DC proper make this list of cities will high inbound growth shows the area is still highly attractive post COVID. Very interesting information. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-12-2022, 05:29 PM

12,926 posts, read 9,703,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
It's just cheap, and quite honestly a lot of the trendy burbs aren't cheap anymore. Frisco's median home price is over $600,000 or more now. Why? It's like paying a premium to live in a place that looks like Kansas when you can literally move to Kansas for less. Plus that $600,000 house comes with a $12,000 property tax bill, and going anywhere fast means hopping on toll roads.
Frisco may be 600k, but have you seen the kind of house you can get for 600K there vs say Compton?

Most of the Californians leaving are tired of the politics and want to buy a nice home in a growing area.

Old 04-13-2022, 08:13 AM

817 posts, read 640,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
No, they're not and you know it.

I lived in Texas for over 10 years and trust, liberals were very much a part of the herd.
https://www.texaspolicy.com/new-poll...for-democrats/

Old 04-13-2022, 11:33 AM

32,757 posts, read 48,432,926 times
I don't think Texas is horrible.

As for something to do, it does you very little good to be in the most exciting city in the world if the majority of your income goes to keeping a crappy tiny substandard roof over your family's head and housing cost so much you can't afford to go out to the exciting restaurants or to see the exciting concerts or Broadway shows. All you can do is to stand on the electrically exciting sidewalk with all the over crowded hustle and bustle and breathe in all the exhaust fumes from all the vehicles that are on their way to do exciting things, like move from their exhausting job to their crappy tiny apartment and back again.

Old 04-15-2022, 02:01 PM

8,614 posts, read 14,974,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Frisco may be 600k, but have you seen the kind of house you can get for 600K there vs say Compton?

Most of the Californians leaving are tired of the politics and want to buy a nice home in a growing area.
Compared to Compton, sure, but for a little more coin you can get a house in a Denver burb with an actual basement, significantly more curb appeal than those ugly brick/stone boxes that are everywhere in DFW, 50%+ lower property taxes, scenery, and more than just the banal amenities that DFW excels at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.