Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 09:35 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times

Advertisements

Used to be Ohio made fun of Kentucky and there were a lot of “briar jokes”

Q. What is the best place to hide money from a briar?

A. Under a bar of soap.

Q. How did the briar drown?

A. Digging a basement under his houseboat.

The Brent Spence bridge is a double decker bridge, the upper deck goes from Ohio to Kentucky, the lower deck goes from Kentucky into Ohio, this was done so briars going from Ohio back to Kentucky could throw their shoes down to the briars coming from Kentucky into Ohio.

There were these two briars one was on the Ohio side of the river and the other was on the Kentucky side and wanted to get across. The briar on the Ohio side said he could shine his flashlight over the river so the other could walk across on the beam of light, the other briar said that he did not trust him to not turn the flashlight off when he was half way across.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 10:25 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
I know of no joking or dissing of neighboring states. We have better things to do.

Old 04-20-2022, 05:52 AM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
FWIW, I love West Virginia. Went to Morgantown for an ISU/WVU football game and had an absolute blast. People were incredibly nice, and it was incredibly scenic.

I feel like in the next 25-30 years, West Virginia is going to become an eastern analog to what Colorado has come become as people from the bigger cities realize that there's incredibly cheap real estate close to all kind of outdoor recreational opportunities. Once the economy pivots from coal to tourism, I think it could be a big boon to the state.

If it wasn't so far, I'd visit more often.
Glad you had a great experience! WV truly is a special state, and I agree about the potential tourism and recreation boon on the horizon.

One day I'm going to make it out to Ames for a game. I feel like ISU and WVU have a lot in common.

Old 04-20-2022, 07:54 AM

1,351 posts, read 896,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Glad you had a great experience! WV truly is a special state, and I agree about the potential tourism and recreation boon on the horizon.

One day I'm going to make it out to Ames for a game. I feel like ISU and WVU have a lot in common.
I walked away thinking that WVU was a very good cultural fit for the Big 12, despite the terrible geographic reality.

Old 04-20-2022, 10:05 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
In GA, we make fun of Alabama. In reality, the two states are similar, both with ocean access, mountains, etc. With the giant exception that is Atlanta, which is cosmopolitan in a way that Birmingham could never be!

Old 04-21-2022, 11:41 AM

1,320 posts, read 868,175 times
Regarding Oregon,

Washington has too much in common with us for us to make fun of them. Portland and Seattle tend to be very friendly with each other.

Idaho and Eastern Oregon seem to get along well. For those west of the Cascades, it's just too far away and outside our sphere of influence for us to have any strong feelings about.

People don't make fun of California here, but there are many Oregonians that dislike Californians because they think that they are the ones moving in and driving up the cost of living.

Most Oregonians probably aren't even aware that we share a border with Nevada.

Old 04-21-2022, 02:53 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Ohio talks smack about Indiana, so does Illinois. Poor Indiana...
LOL
My parents are from Indiana, and while I never lived there or in an adjacent state, I talked smack about the state as well.

Old 04-21-2022, 03:07 PM

828 posts, read 692,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Funny given Florida is more the national joke. #floridaman #floridawoman #floriduh #hangingchad
A lot of people are sure moving here every day for a national joke... You want a joke? Minnesota got a blizzard last week and last I checked it is April.

Old 04-21-2022, 03:45 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
Colorado and Utah have an ongoing rivalry regarding which state has the best skiing. Utah proclaims itself “The Greatest Snow on Earth“ and Colorado responds with “Ski Country USA“. That’s about all I’ve noticed.

Old 04-23-2022, 09:45 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Iowans take a lot of shots at Minnesota's arrogance (it's like a northern Texas) but the pot shots are more likely directed at Nebraska and Missouri.

Generally I don't think Iowans would dislike Minnesota if Minnesotans weren't so found of trashing us. Nebraska is more of a true even civic rivalry, and a lot of people in Iowa look down on Missouri as being trashier (outside of the cities).

I don't hear much bashing of South Dakota, Wisconsin, or Illinois. I think Iowans generally like South Dakota and Wisconsin, and are indifferent to Illinois.
The way I've heard a lot of Iowans talk about Nebraska is humorous. They often act like the whole state looks like the western third when in reality most of Nebraska looks very similar to Iowa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.