Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 07:02 AM

1,351 posts, read 896,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Yes, northwest Nebraska looks a lot like Wyoming. You can see prairie dog towns and antelope as you get further west but certainly once you get past Ogallala (probably much sooner) you won't see those. Northeast Iowa is pretty unique compared to the rest of the state. A lot of people seem to have an image of windswept prairie and badlands for North Dakot when in reality that's only the southwest part of the state. Much of the state looks similar to Nebraska and when you get to Jamestown and certainly once you hit the Red River Valley it looks much more like Iowa, complete with some pretty black soil. Then you cross into Minnesota and there are suddenly more trees. It's really neat to cross over from Grand Forks. You get into the northwoods area of northern Minnesota pretty quickly.
Yeah, the Red River Valley is pretty indistinguishable from Iowa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 11:02 PM

104 posts, read 46,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Missouri has a little projection, "the bootheel", that pokes into Arkanses. Missourians say that they ceded the Bootheel to Arkansas, the average IQ in both states would rise by two points.
we have the same joke about ceding everything 10 miles south of I-80 in Iowa to Missouri (both states would have a greater average IQ)

Old 05-14-2022, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
BUT eastern Washington has a WHOLE slew of jokes about western Washington!!!

Here are the best ones that I remember.

Don't 206 509. Look up the area codes if you don't get the joke.

Why is always dark and gloomy in Seattle? God, decided to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

Where are the jokes!!! that is the best part.

When I lived in Canada it was ALL about NEWFI jokes.
Don't 206 509 is one of my favorites, I was only in Pullman for 6 months (born there) but when I was 13 or so, I thought it was the funniest thing ever, and I would use it all the time at Apple Cup events.

As for me, we always called Idaho the Kremlin because of Moscow.

Old 05-14-2022, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
The way I've heard a lot of Iowans talk about Nebraska is humorous. They often act like the whole state looks like the western third when in reality most of Nebraska looks very similar to Iowa.
We don't necessarily believe that, we just absolutely despise The State Out West. They make the midwest look worse, and I think the fact that Nebraska is in the Big 10 now makes that more of a controversy. All of my friends just HATE Nebraska.

Old 05-14-2022, 11:52 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
I guess South Carolina is picked on. The mustard bbq and the USC/Carolina nicknames being fun targets. But we still take our golf vacations there, so it isn’t all bad. Georgia doesn’t feel like a neighbor, Tennessee is probably too far from 80% of us to even think about, and Virginia is just a place to drive through to get somewhere better.

Old 05-15-2022, 08:23 AM

426 posts, read 160,089 times
I mean, I make fun of my own state because it's bad. But Texas is the common joke state here, I believe. It's awful, too, but Oklahoma is just as bad, so...

Old 05-15-2022, 08:27 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
NH, whose motto is “live free and pay Massachusetts income tax”. There’s also the fun fact that despite their brand of being more business-friendly, low tax, and libertarian compared to the other New England states, their biggest source of public income is their state-run liquor stores. Da*n hypocritical commies.

Old 05-15-2022, 01:43 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Pittsburgh Yinzers make no secret of their hate of Ohio. Simultaneously the same Yinzers post Ohio vacation posts and send their kids to Ohio colleges.

Old 05-15-2022, 05:55 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,739,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Pittsburgh Yinzers make no secret of their hate of Ohio. Simultaneously the same Yinzers post Ohio vacation posts and send their kids to Ohio colleges.
Seems like everyone hates Ohio, even those that live there.

Old 05-15-2022, 08:24 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGuterson View Post
Idaho is the neighboring state Washingtonians make fun of.
I'm not surprised. Western Washington is a polar opposite of Idaho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.