Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 10:23 AM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times

Advertisements

In my experience of living in 4 different metros in this country I found that locals, or more specifically suburban locals, tend to be more ignorant about the offering of their city than transplants. Has that been your experience too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 10:31 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
No not really, hasnt been my experience

Old 04-27-2022, 10:46 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Do any of us really know enough people across all walks of life to make a good judgement on this?

It's like the "nice people" category. How can we know what city has nicer people, unless we've talked to hundreds across the whole spectrum, in each city?

Old 04-27-2022, 10:51 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,237,835 times
I do think that people who are born and raised (sometimes for many generations) in a single place tend to be less familiar with the tourist attractions or "big draws" for their location. Like, how many New Yorkers go to the MOMA on the regular?

That said, locals know the best hole-in-the-wall eateries, which tourist traps to AVOID, where to buy the best local xyz, etc. Different knowledge areas.

Old 04-27-2022, 11:08 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
This is kind of the same concept internationally as well with expats. I was just listening to an expat podcast a few weeks ago with an American/Canadian (can't remember which) who runs a tour company in Germany and he only hires expats because (well among a few reasons) they're the ones who dive into a place and can share that with others. His wife had never even been to a bunch of their top destinations despite being a native.

Old 04-27-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
I do think that people who are born and raised (sometimes for many generations) in a single place tend to be less familiar with the tourist attractions or "big draws" for their location. Like, how many New Yorkers go to the MOMA on the regular?

That said, locals know the best hole-in-the-wall eateries, which tourist traps to AVOID, where to buy the best local xyz, etc. Different knowledge areas.
MOMA and museums in general are not necessarily good examples for this. They always have new exhibits and events that locals can enjoy. Statue of Liberty is a better example. Locals might know a few of their favorite holes in the wall type places but they tend not to venture out of these and are usually not familiar with newer offerings.

I'm distinguishing locals who live in or near suburbs from those who live in the core and go out often.

Old 04-27-2022, 12:00 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,237,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
MOMA and museums in general are not necessarily good examples for this. They always have new exhibits and events that locals can enjoy. Statue of Liberty is a better example. Locals might know a few of their favorite holes in the wall type places but they tend not to venture out of these and are usually not familiar with newer offerings.

I'm distinguishing locals who live in or near suburbs from those who live in the core and go out often.
I think you are conflating a number of factors. Go out often /= familiar with newer offerings /= living downtown /= 'local.'. You think downtowners ever go to any attraction out of the core? Suburbians never go "into the big city" to follow the buzz? What do you consider "local"?

Maybe your experience and/or Denver is unique?

https://table.skift.com/2019/01/18/f...of-the-suburb/

Old 04-27-2022, 12:46 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
It's true for me. I've lived my entire life in the suburbs of the Los Angeles metro area but if someone asks about attractions in the city, I'm no help. I don't know a darn thing about Hollywood or celebrity sightings (and happy to stay that way). I avoid downtown like the plague. Don't know which beaches are the best (though I can give you a rundown of the Orange County beaches). Haven't been to the LA museums since I was in high school. Can't recommend restaurants.

Of course if someone moves here and is all excited about it and goes out to see all the sights, they're going to know more about them than I would. And there are locals who know a lot more than me, of course.

Old 04-27-2022, 02:06 PM

506 posts, read 476,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It's true for me. I've lived my entire life in the suburbs of the Los Angeles metro area but if someone asks about attractions in the city, I'm no help. I don't know a darn thing about Hollywood or celebrity sightings (and happy to stay that way). I avoid downtown like the plague. Don't know which beaches are the best (though I can give you a rundown of the Orange County beaches). Haven't been to the LA museums since I was in high school. Can't recommend restaurants.
It's funny, everything you don't know about Los Angeles is the ONLY stuff I know about Los Angeles.

As for this thread, I think it makes sense. People that live somewhere all their lives tend to take their surroundings for granted. Maybe they figure they'll get to the tourist attractions "some day." And because the stuff is around them all the time, it's not as much of an escape to visit them, which is part of the appeal of visiting places.

I live in a different city now than where I grew up. When I visit back home now, I find myself enjoying the tourist attractions and restaurants more than when I lived there. Because now, with a little time and distance, it finally feels different.

Old 04-27-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
I think you are conflating a number of factors. Go out often /= familiar with newer offerings /= living downtown /= 'local.'. You think downtowners ever go to any attraction out of the core? Suburbians never go "into the big city" to follow the buzz? What do you consider "local"?

Maybe your experience and/or Denver is unique?

https://table.skift.com/2019/01/18/f...of-the-suburb/
It's not unique to Denver for sure. I noticed the same in New York and Houston.
I already said by 'local' I mean people who grew up in the city and never left, or left for only a couple of years and then moved back.
I understand there are a number of factors to unpack here, but my experience is people who moved to the city more than two years ago usually have more to contribute to a discussion on what are some good places to check out than the locals. All of the ones I use for comparison are people who live in the same boring suburb as me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.