Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 06:33 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Yikes. I’ll stay here in overpriced NY. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 06:56 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Good for them. It was staring to get absurd, but now, Denver has calmed down.
Not any more or less absurd than some of the housing prices in DFW burbs. Phrisceaux's median is pushing 600k, and Plain-o and McKinney are around 450k. Add in Texas's high property taxes and yikes...

Edit: I just checked the median sale price in Little Elm. It's up almost 40% over the last year to just under 450k. Little Elm is Frisco's trashy neighbor with crappy schools. I lived there. Didn't mind it, but $400k for a house there? F that.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 05-09-2022 at 07:37 PM..

Old 05-09-2022, 07:50 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
All Sun Belt cities save for 2. Fool's gold.

Old 05-09-2022, 10:45 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Chicago?
Yeah, Chicago.

It's a London/Berlin level city with lower COL than some of the megaburbias ranked higher on that list.

Old 05-09-2022, 10:49 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times
Quote:
This is the first one of these I've ever seen where I actually agree with #1 spot.

Houston strikes a very formidable balance of low COL, being a "real city", location, character, amenities, heavyweight class economy, suburbs, etc.

Old 05-09-2022, 10:55 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I don't have an issue with Chicago at all.

I personally couldn't live there due to the long, cold winter, but it's an awesome city that is mostly inexpensive and with a great quality of life.

Chicago has been losing people slowly, so a top 10 showing for a list of "moving to cities" is a good thing, when the trend recently has been to lose people. That was my where my comment was directed.
The thing is people keep saying Chicago is losing population because of ACS estimates but it did gain population in the city proper which means the ACS was not accurate. Any estimate with a 5% margin of error in any given year has very limited probative value IMO. The state of Illinois certainly has its issues though, more so than Chicago itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I will say this, I have zero desire to ever move to an "hot, emerging" city. Moving with 10s of thousands of people every month to Austin or Raleigh or whatever is really booming at the moment feels like a nightmare of over-clogged streets that aren't ready for it, long lines because the the amenity scene can't keep up, lacking public transit, constant construction, etc.

Sitting in traffic because the car is the only option would depress and anger me to no end.

Give me a place that's been there, done that, already. Even if it was 100 years ago. A city that has bones to support the fat that comes.
I feel the same way. I wouldn’t consider moving south of the 40th parallel at this time. It’s sort of weird even writing that but when I think about where I currently live and the only places I would really ever want to live, nowhere is south of that.

Old 05-10-2022, 07:35 AM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Houston, Las Vegas, and Phoenix the top 3, cities that are now going to enter the expensive tier due to everyone flocking there. Who would want to live in Las Vegas or Houston paying $2000 a month rent? that's the question. If the only desirability of a city is affordability what's going to happen when that affordability is gone? I mean LA and NYC have reasons to be expensive, but not Las Vegas or Houston, even Phoenix
I agree with this. A lot of the Sun Belt cities that have seen insane growth over the last twenty years are becoming quite expensive, at least in the city propers. But what do they offer that the coastal cities don't aside from COL?

Old 05-10-2022, 09:49 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I feel the same way. I wouldn’t consider moving south of the 40th parallel at this time. It’s sort of weird even writing that but when I think about where I currently live and the only places I would really ever want to live, nowhere is south of that.
Yeah, I still at some point, will want to live in a climate that's less brutal in the winter. But very glad I'm not in that market right now. Maybe this is one instance where I'll time a residential decision correctly.

Affordability used to be a huge draw to places like Florida, Texas and Arizona. But not right now.

Old 05-10-2022, 01:16 PM

706 posts, read 445,338 times
Absolutely shocked to not see Nashville on this list.. No way Chicago or San Antonio should be above Nashville. The only cities I really could see above Nashville are Austin and Dallas that's it.

Old 05-10-2022, 03:14 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Default Top 10 cities for relocation...

Quote:
An important fact that everyone here seems to have overlooked is found in the 1st sentence of that link.
It reads as, "Fewer Americans are moving than ever before...".
That is an important yardstick against which we can measure the rankings found at the link.
We can also use that same yardstick so as to put some context in place when we hear that, "Everyone is moving out of the Northeast or the Midwest, California, etc." or any other such hyperbolic gibberish.
"Fewer Americans.." means just that and that the pie, so to speak, of Americans who are moving, is smaller than ever.

Forbes.com: I'm thinking of you, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.