Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 06:33 PM

297 posts, read 244,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
How much more good ol' boy does it get
I went to grad. school in Chapel Hill. I was surprised that in a college town I kept running into those that still did not recognize the Civil War was OVER. Depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 10:39 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,780,831 times
There are different levels of "good ol boy" networks and "fighting the Civil War".

Elizabethtown KY is fairly old fashioned. Not sure how good ol boy & fighting it is right now relative to other places. Surely some to a lot. Almost 30k in town, more in metro. Fairly close to Louisville. If it isn't to your liking, most of the rest of state probably isn't either, though maybe Lexington (with quite a few folks from north and Midwest) . I'd skip TN with your preference. Done with NC? How about Blacksburg VA or a northern VA mountain town? Williamsburg? Bloomington or Evansville IN? Carbondale IL? PA too cold?

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-23-2022 at 10:53 PM..

Old 05-24-2022, 06:03 PM

994 posts, read 967,232 times
Speaking only on places I've lived , the Upstate SC area in these metros (Greenville,Spartanburg,Mauldin,Simpsonville,Greer ,Travelers Rest) Might work.

Currently live in Phoenix and we're lucky to get rain (I dont think it's actually rained since December 2021). It might flurry at the higher elevations near Cave Creek/North Scottsdale , which aren't really "high elevation" , they're just near the mountains maybe a few hundred feet up from the rest of the valley.

SC will be cheaper than AZ , but there are still good deals in the woodwork.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:22 AM

577 posts, read 562,175 times
Tupelo, Mississippi fits the criteria. Strong on healthcare, long history of manufacturing attracting people from around the country. Safe. Snow maybe an inch once a year.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:06 PM

Default thanks for the good suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
There are different levels of "good ol boy" networks and "fighting the Civil War".

Elizabethtown KY is fairly old fashioned. Not sure how good ol boy & fighting it is right now relative to other places. Surely some to a lot. Almost 30k in town, more in metro. Fairly close to Louisville. If it isn't to your liking, most of the rest of state probably isn't either, though maybe Lexington (with quite a few folks from north and Midwest) . I'd skip TN with your preference. Done with NC? How about Blacksburg VA or a northern VA mountain town? Williamsburg? Bloomington or Evansville IN? Carbondale IL? PA too cold?
I liked carbondale, but a bit small townish. As with the rest of the Country the South has gotten expensive with rents. Have to take a look at Blacksburg and Williamsburg, have not researched those recently. My post is kind of a hail mary cuz I don't think there are any good cheap places left.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:10 PM

Default thanks;

Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
Speaking only on places I've lived , the Upstate SC area in these metros (Greenville,Spartanburg,Mauldin,Simpsonville,Greer ,Travelers Rest) Might work.

Currently live in Phoenix and we're lucky to get rain (I dont think it's actually rained since December 2021). It might flurry at the higher elevations near Cave Creek/North Scottsdale , which aren't really "high elevation" , they're just near the mountains maybe a few hundred feet up from the rest of the valley.

SC will be cheaper than AZ , but there are still good deals in the woodwork.
Yeah have to take a look at SC. Thanks for your suggestions. I've lived in Phoenix or visited long term.
Didn't like it. Snottsdale is nice, but a bit small townish for my taste.

Old 05-26-2022, 09:50 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
It would seem to me that the OP might need to prioritize the list a little because wants on the list are likely in conflict with each other, or alignment on many of them could come with significant costs of living impact.
That said, I think that major college towns with a medical school might be a place to start looking. Your experience with Chapel Hill surprises me. Certainly in the Southeast but probably elsewhere as well, college towns quickly bleed into the rural areas that usually comes with the good ole boy network. In university towns, the prevailing network is oriented on the institutions, but I'm not sure if you also classify that as a good ole boy network or not.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 05-26-2022 at 09:58 AM..

Old 05-26-2022, 12:12 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,105,500 times
Go West Young Man... most people haven't heard of the Civil War since middle or high school. Research and find the right town in northern California or southern Oregon. There are a few that only see freezing temps a few times a year, and snow once or twice that last the day. Even towns as far north as Eugene, Corvallis and Salem Oregon don't see much snow at all.

Old 05-27-2022, 07:22 AM

Default ok thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
Tupelo, Mississippi fits the criteria. Strong on healthcare, long history of manufacturing attracting people from around the country. Safe. Snow maybe an inch once a year.
will check out tupelo, MS

Old 05-27-2022, 07:25 AM

Default yeah except.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Go West Young Man... most people haven't heard of the Civil War since middle or high school. Research and find the right town in northern California or southern Oregon. There are a few that only see freezing temps a few times a year, and snow once or twice that last the day. Even towns as far north as Eugene, Corvallis and Salem Oregon don't see much snow at all.

Both too expensive, too much rain,rains constantly in Eugene for example. Also quite expensive except in the boonies. But yeah, few rednecks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.