Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 08:15 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Vincennes is a pit. We stayed there overnight on a road trip to Georgia and my middle-school-aged daughter aptly described it as "crusty." I will grant its downtown is surprisingly well preserved considering how run down the rest of the town is, but even so the downtown was virtually devoid of vitality or anything interesting.
Vincennes is an interesting case, ok, maybe not. It just feels like a little town that could be so much better than it is. They have a........cute?....downtown. Main St itself feels like it should be the anchor of a vibrant downtown, lots of intact historic buildings. The riverfront park that hosts the George Rogers Clark Memorial is nice. To the east, perhaps a stretch to call it walking distance, is Gregg Park which is a nice city park with a lot of intact historic housing stock. Really nice area, albeit pretty small.

The rest of Vincennes.........oof. A lot of unrealized potential in Vincennes. You'd think with VU just to the NE of downtown, you'd see more continuous activity between downtown and campus. It is lacking, but there is at least some potential there. Too bad VU acts more like an island than an anchor to something better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2022, 11:06 AM

853 posts, read 336,938 times
Duluth was originally built like it was going to become a big city but that petered out in the early 20th century so its downtown and Central Hillside neighborhood are basically a museum of late 19th century Midwestern urbanism.

Duluth and the Mississippi River towns like Winona, La Crosse and Dubuque are the best smaller cities in this part of the Midwest in my opinion. They are also quite hilly, which is unique for the region.

Old 05-27-2022, 11:09 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
I would say Alton Il

Old 05-27-2022, 11:36 AM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
No natives consider themselves to be midwestern. There is nothing midwestern about it.
Concerning Eureka Springs, AR --- It's been a while but I don't think I met more than two or three native Arkansans while there. Mostly transplants.

Old 05-27-2022, 12:53 PM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QRGANIC View Post
Iowa City has all of this. Ames does to a lesser extent (less historical prestige)
I'm sure there's a ton of examples of this. Dubuque probably does with UD, and Madison has it as well.
The neighborhood north of downtown Ames is a designated historic district with lots of big old homes and leafy lots. Very well maintained. Similar to the neighborhood in Iowa City just east of downtown/U of I.

Cedar Falls has some really nice older neighborhoods north and east of the UNI campus that fit this description.

Old 05-27-2022, 12:54 PM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times
Arkansas is definitely not in the Midwest, but I've visited Eureka Springs and didn't find to be overwhelmingly Southern either. The Ozarks have their own flavor.

Old 05-27-2022, 01:36 PM

104 posts, read 46,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
The neighborhood north of downtown Ames is a designated historic district with lots of big old homes and leafy lots. Very well maintained. Similar to the neighborhood in Iowa City just east of downtown/U of I.

Cedar Falls has some really nice older neighborhoods north and east of the UNI campus that fit this description.
My brother lives in that area north of Ames, and we both used to live in the historic area in Iowa City. I don't know if you can say that they're similar. There just seems to be more history in Iowa City, granted I am a bit biased. Cedar Falls is actually a pretty great example, I'd give you rep for that if it allowed me to.

Old 05-27-2022, 03:22 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Default Best smaller historic cities..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-guy View Post
From my motorcycle rides...
Winona, Minnesota
Dubuque, Iowa
Galena, IL
La Crosse, Wisconsin
You've focused a nice ride on an area with historic cities and towns that are centered upon (or in Galena's case, very near to) the beautiful, bluff-lined upper Mississippi River Valley with a bullseye specifically placed on the "Driftless Zone" of the valley!

What a ride that must have been for you on your bike while a boat ride down the river in that region would be to die for and would take one to Winona, Dubuque & Lacrosse!

Old 05-27-2022, 03:32 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Default Best smaller historic cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRGANIC View Post
My brother lives in that area north of Ames, and we both used to live in the historic area in Iowa City. I don't know if you can say that they're similar. There just seems to be more history in Iowa City, granted I am a bit biased. Cedar Falls is actually a pretty great example, I'd give you rep for that if it allowed me to.

I'm an ISU grad of long ago but recall the near north side area in Ames fairly well. More recently I've explored it and much of Ames via a street view app.

I'd guess that the oldest house in Ames may actually be on the ISU campus. See the 1st link for Farm House.

Ames near north is pretty and old by Ames standards Ames but the old, inner core of Iowa City is noticeably larger and more inline with what I'd call truly "historic".
As for example, I recall visiting the historic home called Plum Grove in Iowa City over 50 years ago.
See it at the 2nd link.

https://foursquare.com/v/farm-house/...539c74ced9bcf3

https://www.traveliowa.com/destinati...ric-home/7197/

Old 05-27-2022, 08:22 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
Stillwater mn
St Joseph’s Missouri (poney express)
Duluth MN
s st Marie Michigan
Mcgregor Iowa
Dubuque Iowa
Prairie du Chene Wisconsin
Wabasha, MN
Decorah, ia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.