Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 12:11 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
It's in the Northeast. It was one of the 13 original colonies, and it's north of the Mason-Dixon Line.
So the original 13 colonies = the northeast?
The original 13 that included Georgia, the Carolinas, Virginia? Maine and Vermont were not part of the original 13, does that mean they are not northeast?

The current designation of states does not fit because the country is in a constant state of change.
Pennsylvania was more Northeast than not because that is what it was. It was one of the first refuge for slaves escaping Maryland and Delaware. Conversely this states were southern because they were the last states before you crossed into the north.

Ohio is midwest because when you got to the Mississippi, passed that was the West. Ohio and Indiana are halfway to the Mississippi so midwest was a good place to put them.

Kentucky and Tennessee are firmly southern states. So is Florida.

Missouri is where it gets hard because St Louis was the gateway to the west, and the state is basically west of St Louis.

The western part of the south is the hardest to place because it has changed the most since these designations were put in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 12:12 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,224,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
What makes it a region? The midwest as we know it today wasn't even a thing until the 80s.
The 80s? What? Do you mean the 1880s?

Old 06-12-2022, 12:57 PM

104 posts, read 46,745 times
Now after thinking through this and seeing the replies, I feel like the answer might be Oklahoma. I think another answer could be West Virginia, but Oklahoma is split between three separate regions; South, Southwest, and Midwest.

Old 06-12-2022, 01:05 PM

1,350 posts, read 882,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
The 80s? What? Do you mean the 1880s?
In the 1980s, Minnesota was considered a northwestern state.

Old 06-12-2022, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
It wasn't created in the '80s. Not sure where you heard that... The term itself was around before then. Was it in widespread use? Idk I was born in the '90s but a buddy of mine grew up in Omaha in the '70s and '80s so I can ask him. What does it matter even IF the term was created in the '80s? What makes the '80s any less legitimate than the 1770s? Or 1840s? The states of the region had been states for a century prior at least anyway.

There's tons that makes the Midwest a region. Ranging from climate, to geography, to culture, to industry. You have to play dumb to think otherwise.
What makes it all one region?

Old 06-12-2022, 01:26 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
The big swath between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh can seem like Alabama though.
No, it can't. As one of the few people on this site who's actually spent an extensive amount of time in both states, no, it can't. As somebody who regularly goes off the beaten path in different states, no, it can't.

When I've spent time in towns like Alabaster, Alexander City, Albertville, Andalusia, Anniston, Atmore, Bay Minette, Brewton, Cedar Bluff, Cullman, Daphne, Dothan, Double Springs, Eufala, Flomaton, Foley, Gadsden, Guin, Guntersville, Hamilton, Heflin, Leeds, Northport, Opelika, Oxford, Pell City, Phenix City, Piedmont, Prattville, Reform, Spanish Fort, Sulligent, Troy or Tuskegee, never once did I think, "Gee, this reminds me of Pennsylvania!"

Pennsylvania is a northeastern state, period. Latitude puts it in the North. Longitude puts it in the East. And culturally speaking...well, enjoy the slideshow, but give yourself some time, because it has 60 slides.

Old 06-12-2022, 01:28 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,224,517 times
Quote:
No it wasn't.

Old 06-12-2022, 01:31 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
So the original 13 colonies = the northeast?
No, the combination of "one of the 13 original colonies" and "north of the Mason-Dixon Line" is the Northeast, just as I said.

Old 06-12-2022, 01:32 PM

104 posts, read 46,745 times
Quote:
I've seen it all. This right here, may be the worst take I have ever seen in my entire life.

The last states to enter the union were Alaska and Hawaii in 1959. HOW could Minnesota be considered a Northwestern state WHEN NOTHING HAS CHANGED FROM 1959 TO PRESENT DAY?

Old 06-12-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRGANIC View Post
I've seen it all. This right here, may be the worst take I have ever seen in my entire life.

The last states to enter the union were Alaska and Hawaii in 1959. HOW could Minnesota be considered a Northwestern state WHEN NOTHING HAS CHANGED FROM 1959 TO PRESENT DAY?
I think your not getting what I'm saying...The 1980s wasn't that long ago. Twin cities newscast referred to themselves as northwestern. Also Northwest Airlines which merged with Delta was based in Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.