Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 06:23 AM

372 posts, read 203,197 times

Advertisements

I know a couple of doctors who have retired and moved to the country, as well as a college professor. As many have said, with the internet, people can be as "up" on things, as someone living in the city. They may not experience it on a daily basis, but they can visit, stay for a few days, and go home when they've had enough. I've lived in big and bigger cities, and know of people who have rarely traveled outside their chosen city, let alone outside of their "neighborhood". Granted, that isn't common, but it happens.

The generation that would not be internet savvy, basically due to age, is pretty much gone. Boomers know computers and their way around. When I was young, I visited a couple with my grandparents, that were distant relatives who lived near a city, but in the country. Their house was very modest, and they looked poor. I assumed they were very unsophisticated (even though I probably didn't know that word then), kind, and maybe only had an 8th grade education. I never spoke my thoughts to anyone, though.

Later in life, I found out that he had a PhD, authored books, and chose to live life as simply as he could...without pretension, or even a hint of sophistication. My point...don't stereotype people as "bumpkins" because they choose to live away from a city and without pretense. A whole lot of stereotyping going on here, it seems. Whether one lives in a part of the country deemed backward and/or unsophisticated, or choose country life over city life. You never know why someone is living such a simple life...often, it's a choice made, after they left the "sophisticated route."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2023, 06:36 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
I grew up a 40 minute train ride outside of Manhattan which was close enough for exposure and frequent trips to NYC for which I consider myself more cultured (along with more “street smarts”) than I otherwise would have been had I lived in more remote areas of New York State and elsewhere. Formed the basis against which I measure other cities I have lived in or visited.

Afterwards, lived in SF/Marin (similar situation to above); Orange County (area I found void of culture, prompting frequent visits to LA on weekends), San Diego (do not consider a big city with less culture than bigger cities though better than suburban OC), and Miami (plenty of culture, if not on NYC level, and exposure to many people from other countries—and, no, not just The Americas).

Does that mean culture does not exist 90 minutes, a few hours outside of a big city?….not necessarily. A good friend lives in Beacon, NY which is a happening artsy enclave in Sullivan County—though he, like many others living there, grew up closer to NYC.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-22-2023 at 06:57 AM..

Old 01-22-2023, 11:57 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I've read here on this site as well as social media that from a certain group of people have said that some people are not cultured or exposed beacuse they don't live in a major city, or if they like cities that aren't popular with the crowd then they haven't been exposed to the world or haven't travelled as much. Do you think if you or someone lives in a major city that you're more cultured or exposed to the world? Just want your thoughts.

No, there is nothing about just being exposed to a culture that will make YOU more cultured. Wanting to become more worldly and cultured comes from a desire within to do so. Now do you have more opportunities when you are around more different people? Sure, but that still doesn't mean you will.

Old 01-22-2023, 03:46 PM

783 posts, read 694,578 times
I would say yes, but not as large as people presume. I live in LA and we have tons of things out here. But when you ask people, most don't participate in the kinds of cultural offerings that LA has with any serious regularity. Sure, we eat at Pho restaurants and such, and that is something more than you would get in a small town, but it isn't as big of a deal as you would think. I think a lot of the problem is that people in large cities typically think of their city as normal and feel no pressure to actually explore the place for its offerings. Because of that people don't get nearly so much.

It's like all of the people in LA who go to the beach maybe ~1-2x a year, or people with gym membership but rarely actually go work out. That makes up ~80% of the population in practice. Most people live like they are in a randomville suburb regardless of whether or not they are in a big city or not. So in possibility absolutely yes, but in reality not so much.

Old 01-22-2023, 07:41 PM

406 posts, read 340,684 times
I lived in the Wichita, KS area since October 2021. The people who were born and raised here are uncultured, ignorant and racist. As an educated professional man of color who has traveled and lived all over I find that many people who live in or near major cities are much more cultured and accepting of diversity.

Old 01-29-2023, 06:05 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysan89 View Post
I lived in the Wichita, KS area since October 2021. The people who were born and raised here are uncultured, ignorant and racist. As an educated professional man of color who has traveled and lived all over I find that many people who live in or near major cities are much more cultured and accepting of diversity.
Wow, that's one way to bash a place. Wicitha may seem backwater to you but to most Kansans it's considered city.

Old 01-30-2023, 11:37 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I completely agree with this last statement. I know a couple of folks who were born here in NYC, and have only travelled really to larger or European cities. By "larger" here in the US, I mean only Miami, Chicago, Dallas, LA, San Fran, Seattle, Philly, DC, Boston. Not sure if they've ever been to the southeast, or the midwest outside of Chicago, or out west, really. Vacations are almost always the Caribbean or Europe.

They are definitely cultured by far in a lot of ways, but they know very little about the US outside of several major cities. They tend to stereotype southerners or midwesterners or "fly over folks" as just areas not really that interesting.

In a way, I agree that these folks like who I described are less cultured overall, than a small town person who travels throughout the US and other countries, extensively.

But also, it really is up to each individual person how they allow themselves to experience local cultures or local educational experiences when they travel. If a person only goes to all inclusive resorts, 5 star hotels, and rarely goes off the well-traveled tourist destinations and sticks with itineraries, I'm not sure how much value of culture exposure that that brings either.
When I used to visit NYC frequently, I knew a lot of people that barely left their borough. The average New Yorker didn't come off any more cultured than the people I had knew in Missouri or Florida. I also have found that people in major cities often hang out with people of more or less the same race, age, socioeconomic status, religion, and/or occupation etc. The idea that people are hanging out with people radically different than them in major cities because of the diversity, is not as common as people think it is.

Old 01-30-2023, 12:13 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,453 times
^^^^ This I can attest to. I know so many life-long New Yorkers who never leave thier boro. I know Harlem guys who would never step foot in Brooklyn and Brooklyn guys who never step foot in the Bronx.

Old 01-30-2023, 05:26 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
When I used to visit NYC frequently, I knew a lot of people that barely left their borough. The average New Yorker didn't come off any more cultured than the people I had knew in Missouri or Florida. I also have found that people in major cities often hang out with people of more or less the same race, age, socioeconomic status, religion, and/or occupation etc. The idea that people are hanging out with people radically different than them in major cities because of the diversity, is not as common as people think it is.
Socially maybe, for many people. But they work with other cultures, attend school together, eat each other's food, sit next to each other at the movies, etc.

It's very different than the monoculture (often racist) that I grew up with for several years in Boise.

Old 01-30-2023, 05:30 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
Clearly Mets fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
^^^^ This I can attest to. I know so many life-long New Yorkers who never leave thier boro. I know Harlem guys who would never step foot in Brooklyn and Brooklyn guys who never step foot in the Bronx.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.