Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 06:47 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,175,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
^^^^ This I can attest to. I know so many life-long New Yorkers who never leave thier boro. I know Harlem guys who would never step foot in Brooklyn and Brooklyn guys who never step foot in the Bronx.
I see this nonsense everywhere I lived, but only among people who grew up in the area and had never lived in another city. That's why when it comes to places to see and things to do I don't ask locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2023, 09:01 PM

6,811 posts, read 4,246,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
When I used to visit NYC frequently, I knew a lot of people that barely left their borough. The average New Yorker didn't come off any more cultured than the people I had knew in Missouri or Florida. I also have found that people in major cities often hang out with people of more or less the same race, age, socioeconomic status, religion, and/or occupation etc. The idea that people are hanging out with people radically different than them in major cities because of the diversity, is not as common as people think it is.

I've spent my entire life in big cities. The people going on the most about the culture, sophistication and diversity of a big city and all that jazz are usually people who moved there in their 20s/30s from some small provincial town or the outer suburbs.

Old 01-30-2023, 09:57 PM

1,051 posts, read 573,009 times
I knew college kids in the tri-state area insisted the term “Metro” meant NYC.

I didn’t have the heart to tell them it meant Metropolitan, and it may come as a shock to them, but the word applied to cities outside the U.S.A. too.

Old 01-30-2023, 11:31 PM

376 posts, read 210,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I've spent my entire life in big cities. The people going on the most about the culture, sophistication and diversity of a big city and all that jazz are usually people who moved there in their 20s/30s from some small provincial town or the outer suburbs.

All that stuff is new to the small town/rural crowd. The people who actually grew up in the more crowded urban places sometimes would prefer a slower spacious pace of life eventually.

Old 01-31-2023, 02:29 PM

1,094 posts, read 809,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I see this nonsense everywhere I lived, but only among people who grew up in the area and had never lived in another city. That's why when it comes to places to see and things to do I don't ask locals.
Yeah but New Yorkers seem way more provincial than the people I've met from other cities. I heard LA is kinda like that to. I remember watching an interview with singer Montel Jordan who said he never left his neighborhood until he left high school. Granted he grew up in a time when gang violence was at an all-time high, but it is just mind-blowing how many people act "cultured" but never leave their neighborhood.

Old 01-31-2023, 08:07 PM

2,372 posts, read 1,857,841 times
If you live in a big city for 20 years then move to the middle of nowhere, how long doesit take for your culture to fade? I would think it takes a very long time

Old 01-31-2023, 09:26 PM

406 posts, read 342,424 times
Quote:
Wow, that's one way to bash a place. Wicitha may seem backwater to you but to most Kansans it's considered city.
The Wichita, KS area does not have a good vibe for me. Living in South Central Kansas (including Wichita) is like serving a prison sentence. It would have been better for me to either relocate near a much larger city in the Midwest or stay in Texas. I would really love to move to a large metro area in the Western US but it is too expensive for me, unfortunately.

Last edited by jaysan89; 01-31-2023 at 09:57 PM..

Old 02-01-2023, 07:19 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
Exactly how many New Yorkers have you met?

Just in public elementary school alone and by age 10 through family and class trips I was exposed to The World’s Fair, a Broadway play, us white kids on Long Island had pen pals in NYC’s Chinatown that included exchange house visits, trip to FDR’s Hyde Park home, trip to the United Nations, The (original) Hayden Planetarium, exposed to an occasional foreign film on Wednesday afternoons such as “The Red Balloon” (France), Ringling Brothers Circus, Bronx Zoo and more.

Granted, most of these were NY based but laid the foundation for curiosity to institutions and cultures beyond NY state and USA as well—at least for myself and plenty of others.

Quote:
Yeah but New Yorkers seem way more provincial than the people I've met from other cities. I heard LA is kinda like that to. I remember watching an interview with singer Montel Jordan who said he never left his neighborhood until he left high school. Granted he grew up in a time when gang violence was at an all-time high, but it is just mind-blowing how many people act "cultured" but never leave their neighborhood.

Last edited by elchevere; 02-01-2023 at 08:15 AM..

Old 02-02-2023, 10:02 AM

1,094 posts, read 809,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Exactly how many New Yorkers have you met?

Just in public elementary school alone and by age 10 through family and class trips I was exposed to The World’s Fair, a Broadway play, us white kids on Long Island had pen pals in NYC’s Chinatown that included exchange house visits, trip to FDR’s Hyde Park home, trip to the United Nations, The (original) Hayden Planetarium, exposed to an occasional foreign film on Wednesday afternoons such as “The Red Balloon” (France), Ringling Brothers Circus, Bronx Zoo and more.

Granted, most of these were NY based but laid the foundation for curiosity to institutions and cultures beyond NY state and USA as well—at least for myself and plenty of others.
Youtuber Urban Caffine is a New York transplant and she even agrees with me. I know not every New Yorker is like that but a good chunk of New Yorkers old and young have this provincial attitude. Scroll down and look for the Topophilla section of Urban Caffine community page. https://www.youtube.com/@UrbanCaffeine/community

Old 02-02-2023, 10:05 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
There’s also a famous painting, “The New Yorker” (appeared on front cover of magazine that goes by the same name) that suggests the narrow mindedness of those residents who seem to think NYC is all that matters relative to the rest of the world; for those who act/think that way, might be a reflection of their socioeconomic status to some degree.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...saAsk0EALw_wcB

Quote:
Youtuber Urban Caffine is a New York transplant and she even agrees with me. I know not every New Yorker is like that but a good chunk of New Yorkers old and young have this provincial attitude. Scroll down and look for the Topophilla section of Urban Caffine community page. https://www.youtube.com/@UrbanCaffeine/community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.