Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 08:25 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,732,474 times

Advertisements

It is an individual thing and somewhat dependent on where you live and your education. A person with no curiosity or interests outside themselves would not recognize the benefit of being cultured or exposed to cultural assets. There might be limits in some small cities or towns. Travel makes a big difference. There is no truth in a generalized statement making that claim.

Some of the dullest bulbs I have ever known have been city dwellers. Every small town will have someone that stands out. Perhaps there is a college or university. Perhaps they are world travelers. Go talk to the town librarian or judge or teacher. They might not have the opportunity to enjoy or experience cultural assets but would have a knowledge of things beyond their provincial existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 09:02 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,595,151 times
It could be that for 98% of people, they will be cultored or not, according their personal bent. The narrow band in betweenm will fall to one side or the other, depending on ease of access, which is greater in the city.

Old 06-18-2022, 06:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
I believe that traveling, especially internationally, is the key to being "cultured."

Old 06-18-2022, 08:41 AM

9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Yes I do think a person is at least much more exposed, if they have lived in major Metro's. Some Metro's more than others. I know for myself I have always lived in such settings, or in very close proximity to them. Different type nationalities and languages and lifestyles. Definitely in very diversified populations. Plus the exposure to all types of businesses. I have also been employed primarily in jobs, that have exposed me to just about every type of person on earth.

Now that I'm retired and living in one of the big Retirement communities in Central Florida. I can honestly say how thankful I am that I always had the experiences I did before retirement, of being exposed to the people's of the world. Because I sure as hell don't have the experience of exposure or culture in these retirement settings. Absolute lack of diversity, mindsets and viewpoints in them, and Central Florida where these communities are is definitely not cultured or exposed to much of anything. It is very concerning to constantly hear the lntolerance, and see the reclusive behaviour of many of these retirees. Its obvious far to many of them have never had much exposure to the world or any culture period. I guess it is what it is. I'll probably have to return to a close proximity to an actual city setting, if the cost of living ever starts to normalize. Which would be fine I think in my case. Live and Learn.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:26 AM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
It depends. Hard to characterize people with a “broad brush.”

However, I have met “country folk” who were incredibly cultured, exposed, open minded (against stereotypes.) And, there are “city folk” who are not, who I have come across. I treat everyone I come across with an open mind and let our interactions speak.

Old 06-18-2022, 10:42 AM

1,034 posts, read 562,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timfromtenn View Post
I don't know if cultured is the right word, but I've been exposed to so many experiences - food, wine, parasailing, LA entertainment, beaches, hiking, scenery, year round outdoor sports etc living in California that seem exotic to friends from Tennessee. A lot of people where I grew up think a vacation is a week in Hilton Head playing golf and swimming, and they come out here and it's a different world.
I know many people in LA whose vacation idea is to drive up to Vegas, or many people in East side suburbs of LA county whose quick getaway is just to the nearby Orange County. Many people I know from the Tri-state area and Midwest pretty much only go down to Florida for vacation, and they go to the same spot years after years.-true story. I lived in Sarasota/Tampa Bay for one year and I was getting a tad mortified to know many people I knew whose idea of traveling was like this: driving from Vero Beach (where they lived) for 4-5 hrs to Marco Island (on the other side of FL) to sit in the hotel pool drinking. (You can do THAT in Vero Beach, too, you know?)

I don’t know if it’s the convenience, product of habit/routine, the lack of curiosity or the fear of unknown, but I don’t think NYC or California are necessarily the beacon of sophistication and worldliness places like C-D posters made them out to be. You can still find and meet many insular, lack of curiosity people in cosmopolitan metros who unfortunately don’t have the sophistication of big city people but with the arrogance and smugness of the big city people. Some people, regardless where they live, are just very set in their comfort zone. Playing safe is fine, but some people move forward and evolve, some stay where they are. The more insular one is, the more likely they will fear and ostracize those who are different from them. See the pattern?!

Last edited by achtung baby; 06-18-2022 at 11:49 AM..

Old 06-18-2022, 12:16 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,392,777 times
I thi I education and travel matters more than location

Old 06-18-2022, 05:00 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,167,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I thi I education and travel matters more than location
Location probably matters to some extent. One can hardly spend all their lives living in New York and not know about the different Jewish holidays, or in Houston and not know what banh mi is.

I do agree that other factors are much more important.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:57 PM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times
A lot of self-proclaimed cultured people are pretty insular really and try to isolate themselves from the less desirable places and people in their vicinity. Your children may have swam in the Indian Ocean and hiked in the Andes but you'd never let them near certain parts of your own city. You will happily eat peasant food from a street food stall in Thailand but be repulsed by the idea of eating a hot dog from a vendor in your own city.

For those types of people being cultured is more about the exclusivity and the status that comes with having made experiences that are beyond reach for most people in their environment rather than the actual pursuit of all humanity has to offer.

Old 06-18-2022, 11:46 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,167,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
A lot of self-proclaimed cultured people are pretty insular really and try to isolate themselves from the less desirable places and people in their vicinity. Your children may have swam in the Indian Ocean and hiked in the Andes but you'd never let them near certain parts of your own city. You will happily eat peasant food from a street food stall in Thailand but be repulsed by the idea of eating a hot dog from a vendor in your own city.

For those types of people being cultured is more about the exclusivity and the status that comes with having made experiences that are beyond reach for most people in their environment rather than the actual pursuit of all humanity has to offer.
No one is claiming that being cultured means pursuing all that humanity has to offer. I don't accept the equivalence between rejecting things because they're unfamiliar and foreign and class snobbery. At least the world traveler in your example likely had a hot dog at some point of his or her life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.